How did you get started?

Options
I just can't seem to get going...

Replies

• mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I read this

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

and the links contained within, over and over and over again.

I found an exercise I loved and started doing that.

I started to get into cooking again, and saw it as a challenge to make myself more balanced meals.

But most of all I really wanted to change, I didnt want to get obesity related diseases. I wanted to be physically attractive for my SO. I wanted to be healthy so we could live a good long life together.

I started by picturing that ''future me'' and doing 1 thing everyday for her, now I AM almost her :flowerforyou:

Who do you want to be? Time will pass anyway, what will you do with it?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I signed up with MFP...I read the stickies to learn how this tool works...I put all of my stats into MFP and selected a reasonable rate of weight loss (the one that says "recommended") and started hitting my calorie goals.

At first I didn't change much in RE to what I was eating, just my calories. As time went on I learned to make better nutritional decisions. I was already a pretty good cook, but I've become an even better one with MFP. Healthy and nutritious foods don't have to be bland and boring and you don't have to suck on celery sticks all day and eat nothing but dry salad...in fact, you'd be doing yourself a nutritional disservice if you did.

Eventually I started adding in exercise...initially just walking. Soon I started throwing in some jogging with my walks and a few months later I was hitting the weight room a few nights per week and running a few miles a few times per week. After about 9 months of good livin' I started training for my first sprint triathlon...I injured my foot so wasn't able to do it, but in that process I discovered a new love of riding. I don't run anymore at all, all I do is ride my bike and lift...I average about 75 miles per week on the bike and lift a few days per week and throw in an occasional mile long swim.

Two years ago (about how long I've been at all this good livin') I would have laughed in your face if you told me I'd be doing all of that. Two years ago I was a 2-3 PAD smoker who was overweight and heading quickly towards type II diabetes and heart disease. Two years later I am very healthy and fit going on 40 but feeling more like 25...I no longer smoke, my nutrition is very balanced and awesome and I rock my fitness.

Just put one foot in front of the other and go. Start now so that in a year you're not wondering where you'd be if you had started earlier. As the other poster stated...time is going to pass anyway; what are you going to do with it?
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I was already exercising regularly and eating a good diet - I was just eating too much. I signed up for MFP, input my height, weight, age, gender, goal weight, and weekly goal, and started counting calories.

After about 2 weeks I realized that my counting would be a lot more accurate if I got a digital food scale ($15 online).

That's it, really. What it took, though, was a commitment to taking the weight off, especially for the first month. After that, it was a little easier because I had formed habits that worked.
  • amandawillard3551
    Options
    I joined MFP 2 weeks ago on June 1, because the day before I was out hiking with friends and I found it hard going, carrying about 40-50lbs more than I should. And that's all it took to get me eating less and exercising more.

My exercise is mainly walking and I try to walk 3 miles every morning and another 3 in the evening, and so far I'm doing well.....weight coming off and I have plenty of energy and feel much more with it. It can be hard dragging myself out the door, but once out in the fresh air, it feels great to be moving.

My friends and I plan to go hiking once a month and I'm determined not to be the one to slow them down, so that, and they, are what is keeping me on track.

I guess it's about finding a reason to keep you focused, and continue to eat smaller portions of healthy foods and moving about more, as the more you move, the more you want to.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Its like quitting smoking...until you want it its not going to happen. Its not going to be easy but read this and it should help get you started...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Once you see the first couple pounds come off the excitement kicks in.

You can do this. Make lots of friends, be active in the forums and especially on your news feed. Log in EVERY DAY. Your friends have your back and your *kitten* as it shrinks.

Hope this helps a little.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I started out by learning how to properly measure and weigh my foods, then log them correctly. After that, I was able to see exactly what I was eating. After that, I figured out what was a good reasonable deficit. It took me a few weeks to get used to it, but then it became easier. Next, I started by joining a gym. :-)
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I just sorta did it. It's been trial and error along the way. I've dropped some things and picked up others. At this point I know what I like and I know what works for me.

I didn't want to do it at first, it's hard to keep coming back and it can be a hassle to log all of your food. But it becomes a habit after a couple weeks, and you find yourself not feeling right unless you've logged your food and are holding yourself accountable.
  • epadmeister
    epadmeister Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I woke up on a Tuesday morning in February feeling a bit meh.
    I went out, bought a notepad with a cute bear on it (as you do) and wondered what to do with it.
    Weighed myself in at 72.2kg and vowed to write EVERY calorie down in this notepad.
    Stayed at 1200 calories with cardio 3x a week for a month, going over a few days but not too many... then I found My Fitness Pal and realised that writing in a notepad was kinda inaccurate and time consuming! XD

And there's my story :P My point being? The change you want to make in your life can start whenever the heck you decide to start it! I didn't start mine on a Monday or on January 1st... more importantly, I didn't set myself a "time frame" to lose weight. I just knew I wanted to lose weight and get healthy :)

Feel free to add me as a friend! :) You can do this!:smile::flowerforyou:
  • cheesevixen_staci
    cheesevixen_staci Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I think I've always been a "dieter". Always trying to eat healthy and within my means. It wasn't until I became and alcoholic that landed me rock bottom and over 20 pounds over weight. A whole year of treating my body like crap. When I said enough was enough I looked to a familiar place. MFP. Mostly to keep track of what I put in my body (The alcohol had done quite a bit of damage), and for motivation. After coming out of the haze I found I didn't really know what I liked anymore. MFP turned out to be a great fit for my new life. It's also a good reminder I can't afford the calories for the way I used to drink.
  • phil4v7
    phil4v7 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My first time around, I had watched my wife use MFP for nearly a year and knew that with determination, I could make it work too. So I set a date (January 10th, 2012) and started losing weight. I didn't want it to be a New Year's resolution because those never stick. I did great for quite a while, but then for some stupid reason, I just quit and gained it all back.

The second time around (not two weeks ago), I stepped on the scale and realized my half-hearted attempts over the past few months just weren't working. So I kicked myself into gear, logged onto MFP again and began losing weight again in earnest.