Strange readings from Garmin HR monitor

Options
Any fellow Garmin users ever had their HR measure at well over 100% of maxHR for a prolonged period?

Mine just did that for the whole of a 12km slow run. I was keeping a very relaxed pace and breathing easy so I don't think my heart was actually pounding at 220bpm :-)

I stopped at one point to take my pulse manually and the watch showed an immediate drop down to 72% and decreasing with every few seconds.

310xt 18 months old. Original battery in chest strap.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've had this happen with my Polar...usually means the battery is about done
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I've had this happen with my Polar...usually means the battery is about done

^ This ^

If your chest strap has a replaceable battery, they're only good for about 12 to 24 months (depending on use).
  • glreim21
    glreim21 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Have you washed your chest strap recently? May be interfering with the reading...
  • jon2412
    jon2412 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    As mentioned about battery...I've had a garmin HR spike a few times (not all the time though!) and it became slowly worse until I replaced the battery which resolved the issue - happy days!
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for taking the time to respond. I will give the battery a swap.

Yes I have kept it clean. I take it into the shower with me after each run.