C25K Results?

I just finished the first day and really liked it! Just wondering about the results others have seen using this app and if it's a good form of exercise for weight loss/toning.

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    the goal of the program is to be able to run a 5K. weight loss is more related to your eating habits.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    the goal of the program is to be able to run a 5K. weight loss is more related to your eating habits.

This.
    C25K is a wonderful program. I wouldn't be running without it. However, it's for running; not weight loss. You'll notice your body toning up and your cardiovascular system getting stronger but the weight loss will come mainly from a calorie deficit.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    At times it feels like I've lost weight despite the running rather than because of it as now I'm running longer distances it makes me hungry (despite eating 1900-2000 cals a day!). Seriously though I've lost the weight through weighing, measuring & logging everything and eating at a deficit. The running has enabled me to maintain a decent deficit whilst still being able to eat the things I want in moderation. In terms of results - I'm now a total running addict (first HM is a week today), as I'm losing weight my legs are looking great as I have some muscle definition and I feel great as I'm not puffing & panting just walking.

Run because you enjoy it and because it helps keep you fit but weight loss is pretty much all about the food you eat rather than the exercise you do.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    I have a problem understanding some of the arguments above: weightloss comes from a calorie deficit that one can achieve either by eating less, exercising more and therefore burning more calories or by a combination of both.

So why does exercising not help to lose weight? I exercise a lot and this allows me to eat a bit more (I don't eat all of my exercise calories back) which makes losing weight so much easier than having to stick to 1200 calories.

Btw I have just finished week three of the C25K and so far it goes very well.

Stef.
  • ohiotubagal
    ohiotubagal Posts: 190 Member
    I just finished C25K and have had great success with it. I will say that as you get further along, you jump from 5 minutes to 8 minutes and then 20! That really scared me but I just went really slow and I made it. Now I can run for 30 minutes. I would have never believed it when I started.

Now that I've completed the program, I am going to run my first 5K race on July 4. I think it has helped me to have a goal. Also, I have started interval training, using Jeff Galloway's Run Walk Run program. It has given me a fresh enthusiasm for running and I am enjoying my runs more.

Good luck and keep plugging away! If you need to repeat a week, do it. It doesn't matter how long it takes you....as long as you do it. Slow and steady wins the race!
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    I have a problem understanding some of the arguments above: weightloss comes from a calorie deficit that one can achieve either by eating less, exercising more and therefore burning more calories or by a combination of both.

So why does exercising not help to lose weight? I exercise a lot and this allows me to eat a bit more (I don't eat all of my exercise calories back) which makes losing weight so much easier than having to stick to 1200 calories.

Stef.

It's because even with a high intensity exercise like running, it really doesn't burn that many calories and it is extraordinarily easily to negate that burn by going over on your calories for the day. This is especially true for the many folks who get hungrier after working out. You could run a 5K, but grab a post-race banana and bagel and you have probably eaten in excess of what you just "earned" during the race.

It's much easier to create a deficit through your eating habits rather than the exercise - for example, to create a 500 calorie deficit per day with running alone (at my current weight), I would need to run 5 miles each and every day.

ETA: This is not meant to discourage people or to say that exercise is useless in creating a deficit, but rather to point out that by itself it's unlikely to be enough to create a meaningful deficit and be sustainable. Exercise still provides numerous health benefits, and the small amount of extra calorie burn can indeed help people stay on track.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    I just finished the first day and really liked it! Just wondering about the results others have seen using this app and if it's a good form of exercise for weight loss/toning.

As upthread, weight loss comes from a calorie deficit.

Notwithstanding that running helps me to run at a deficit and seeing my running performance improve helps motivate my dietary choices
  • Nekrachael
    Nekrachael Posts: 74 Member
    I finished the C25k and kept right on going toward 10k. I love this program, and I feel awesome when I finish an hour of running. I already knew I enjoyed running, but by sticking to this program I didn't overdo it early and give up.

I second the idea of picking a 5k to run in for about the time you "should" finish the program. It really helped me focus and not slack off on those days I didn't feel like running.

As for weight loss, mine actually slowed down about three weeks into the program. On the other hand, I feel my fitness level is much higher. AND, I feel more like becoming a better runner rather than just losing weight. Losing weight is pretty boring after awhile, but not running. I still track all my food, but now I do it for a different reason.
  • BunBun85
    BunBun85 Posts: 246 Member
    Finishing up week 4 today, down 6lbs so far.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member

If you're counting calories, and estimate exercise calories with reasonable accuracy, exercise can help you to lose weight, for the reason you say: it lets you eat more without messing with your deficit. I burn 500 calories a day exercising (on average), and I really like eating those calories!

But if you don't count calories and maintain a deficit, exercise won't necessarily help. A review article in the NEJM in 2011 found that increased physical activity was correlated with weight loss/reduced weight gain, but you can only increase your physical activity so much! Despite what the carelessly written abstract claims, the article text indicates that there was no correlation between absolute levels of activity and weight loss: http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1014296#t=abstract

The reason is that exercise makes you hungrier in the long run. In 2012, I bicycled over 2500 miles and gained 10 lb. In 2013 I biked 3500 miles and lost 45 lb., but only because I was counting calories.

There's some research suggesting that high-intensity intervals don't produce the same hunger response; Gretchen Reynolds summarized it in her book "The First Twenty Minutes." I'm sure a Pubmed search would turn it up.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    I became a runner at the age of 43 thanks to c25k. :drinker:

The program worked great for me, and I'm still running, and enter a few races every year.

Does it help with weight loss? Depends. As others have said, weight loss comes down to a calorie deficit. "You can't outrun a bad diet" is a quote I've seen posted many times, and it's true. But of course, exercise allows for a higher cal intake due to burning more through activity, and is good for your overall fitness.

Not sure if running has been any more beneficial in my weight loss than any other cardio that I do (I also do exercise with weights), but it's generally the longest cardio session I do, and I love that it's something I can do almost anywhere.
  • natalee8
    natalee8 Posts: 34
    Are you doing the timed part or the distance?

I'm on week 2 at the moment and loving it.... I tried to start it I-don't-know-how-many times and never thought I would get past week one. I was pretty disgusted with myself that I couldn't even manage running for 60 seconds!

Pretty much what everyone else says re: calories/ weight loss, however if you're like me, someone who HATES exercise and the idea of it, being motivated enough to get out there and keep at it will make you feel heaps better about yourself and your ability to commit to this, which in turn will help you to commit to eating well. While exercise alone is not enough to help you lose weight on biological terms, I think psychologically it can be very beneficial, get you into the right mindset and fill you with lots of lovely happy-brain chemicals :)
  • savi_xo
    savi_xo Posts: 5
    Thanks for the replies all :-) I do know that I need to eat at a deficit and I am doing so, I was just wondering if running has aided anyone's weight loss or if it would be a good idea to add in some other forms of exercise during the week. I never thought I would like running but the app makes it seem doable!

The idea about signing up for a 5k near the end of the program sounds good!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    or if it would be a good idea to add in some other forms of exercise during the week.

OK, that's a slightly different question, but as you shouldn't be running every day it is useful to have something to complement it. When I was doing C25K I tended to swim or cycle on my non-running days.

Nowadays I'm trying to improve my half marathon time so my cross training tends to be cycling or bodyweight resistance training. With respect to the latter, it's certainly worth including some resistance training, in part because it helps reduce injury risk but in the long term it also helps running performance.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member

Stef.

the OP asked abou the results of the program. The point of the program is to be able to run a 5k once you complete it.
    it's like asking "ifi follow this recipe to bake a cake will I end up with a clean kitchen?" yeah you might have to clean your kichen in the process of mixing, baking and prepping, but obviously the purpose of the recipe is to have a CAKE at the end of, anything else is incidental.

it's generally a good idea to have FITNESS goals for fitness activities. i've seen many people miss the point of what a fitness routines means at the core and end up being very very disappointed in their weight loss because they are focusing on the wrong things.

OP if you're eating at a deficit then you will lose weight, regardless of whether or not you are doing C25K
  • kirstymarian
    kirstymarian Posts: 21 Member
    It's great for getting you running. I started with this in April and I can now run continuously for 45 minutes. Doesn't make you lose weight but definitely improves your fitness and tones your body x
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 604 Member
    I found that eating at a deficit and doing other forms of exercise has helped me complete c25k. I think that's backwards to what OP was wondering, but that's how it happened for me. I lost 40 lb by maintaining a calorie deficit. strength training and other forms of cardio. As a result of those things, my cardio endurance improved and I lost enough weight to get to the point of being able to complete the weeks of the program (able to breath through it all and less stress on my joints due to weight loss - still stress on the joints as I'm 207 lb, but less than if I started running at 250 lb).

Now the running is just another cardio activity that I have added to the mix. It helps with the calorie deficit but I have not lost (more) weight simply because I started running.