Increase calories to lose the last couple of pounds?

Options
I've been at around 1900 calories for the past few weeks and my weight hasn't changed.. I really don't think I should go lower. I think my metabolism has slowed down. I think I should increase calories by like 300 or 400 per day? Any other people do this?

What's happens when you increase calories? Will I gain weight then start losing again?

I did a calorie counter thing and it said I should be eating like between 2400 and 2700 to lose weight based on my activity level and I was at 1900.

Replies

• fifilan
    fifilan Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I can't be of any help, but I'm wondering the exact same thing. I'm very interested in what others recommend.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    It is hard to give proper advice without knowing your stats (gender, age, height, weight, activity level, & medical conditions). If you are using MFP to track then set your activity level to match your life style before exercising then add your exercise and eat back at least half of those calories. Drink enough water/fluid to keep your body hydrated and get in some exercises to promote good health.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I've been at around 1900 calories for the past few weeks and my weight hasn't changed.. I really don't think I should go lower. I think my metabolism has slowed down. I think I should increase calories by like 300 or 400 per day? Any other people do this?

What's happens when you increase calories? Will I gain weight then start losing again?

I did a calorie counter thing and it said I should be eating like between 2400 and 2700 to lose weight based on my activity level and I was at 1900.
    No. If you're not losing weight you don't raise you're calories. If it's only been two weeks so you need to be patient because weight loss is not linear. You might want to check your food logging habits too because you could be miscalculating calories in or out.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If you are not losing, you should decrease, not increase. Or if it is just a few pounds, accept the number, if this is what matches now your activity level and the calories you are comfortable eating.
    How did you come by the 2700 number? I see you are a woman and in your 50s, so are you extremely tall or spending hours exercising per day?
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    If you are not losing, you should decrease, not increase. Or if it is just a few pounds, accept the number, if this is what matches now your activity level and the calories you are comfortable eating.
    How did you come by the 2700 number? I see you are a woman and in your 50s, so are you extremely tall or spending hours exercising per day?
    He's an 18 year old male. I think you looked at the wrong profile- mine or filfilan's. :smile:

My TDEE is about 2200, but I'm 52 and 5 ft 4.5 and very active.
  • zachfox13
    zachfox13 Posts: 12
    Options
    Male
    6 ft
    I
    Work out 5-6 days a week for about 1 hour each
    No medical conditions

My weight has stayed the same for about 3 weeks at around 1900 calories...I really don't think I should go any lower
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    He's an 18 year old male. I think you looked at the wrong profile- mine or filfilan's. :smile:

My TDEE is about 2200, but I'm 52 and 5 ft 4.5 and very active.
    Ooops sorry, clicked on the second post instead of the first.
  • oddtrees
    oddtrees Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Why don't you think you should go lower? Or I guess more importantly, why do you think increasing your calories (thereby decreasing your calorie deficit) will help you lose weight?
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Male
    6 ft
    I
    Work out 5-6 days a week for about 1 hour each
    No medical conditions

My weight has stayed the same for about 3 weeks at around 1900 calories...I really don't think I should go any lower
    You also should not go any higher.

How do you determine your serving portions-weight or measure?

How do you determine your calories burned- HRM, gym machine, MFP, or other internet source?

The last couple of pounds generally come off slower.
  • Lara124911
    Lara124911 Posts: 23
    Options
    I was over weight and tried so many things. Different things work for different people and I was lucky enough to find one that worked for me. I lost 18 pounds in one month without much exercise and it's been a life changer. I'm a little embarrased to post my before and after photos here but if anyone actually cares to hear what I've been doing then I'd be happy to help in any way. Just shoot me an email at secretosdelara@gmail.com and I'll show you my before and after photos, and tell you about how things are going for me with the stuff I've tried. I wish someone would have helped me out when I was struggling to find a solution so if I can help you then it would make my day