What activity level am I?

Hi, I'm having a hard time deciding what activity level I'm really on.

There's sedentary and then there's lightly active.

I'm a full-time cashier and I work about eight hours a day. I spend a good couple of hours scanning groceries quickly, some are quite heavy!

Replies

• I also work about an hour to an hour 1/2 at the gym.
  • Cashier work can be physically demanding at times, depending on your job. Are you stocking coolers and tossing around cases of soda and things, or do you just stand behind a register. I have putting a lot of thought into this also as I cannot decide on my activity level either.
  • Yeah it's confusing. Sedentary though is literally just sitting on the couch and not really moving though right? I don't think cashier would fall in to that tbh. Too much moving around and lifting/standing.
  • You know, there's day's where's it 's just really crazy paste and I'm just checking and swiping like yesterday. And then their's days where i get 'a really crazy at last part of my shift, and somedays where I'm just real board- most the time I'm Pretty steady. I'm also shipped around to different types registers. Sometimes I get a lot of heavy stuff . I guess it just depends on the day and which register they stand me to register meaning-conveyor belt, speedy, self check-out, etc
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member

I'm a full-time cashier and I work about eight hours a day. I spend a good couple of hours scanning groceries quickly, some are quite heavy!
    I think you sound active.
  • Having thought about it more and having been a cashier for about 12 or 13 years(convenience stores), I would personally go with active, you can always lower it to lightly active later if you need.
  • mayfrayy
    mayfrayy Posts: 198 Member
    sedetary, and log your workouts
    a fitbit might be nice to get all your walking around.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member

I think you sound active.
    if anything, lightly active
  • shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    Lightly active, at the very least. On your feet, so definitely not sedentary.
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    I used sedentary, and log all my activities like cleaning stalls, and walking around the office building and up and down the stairs. I have a desk job, but live on a horse farm.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Lightly active.
  • SLLRunner
    To those of you who say lightly active (and the OP), the reason I say active:

I have a desk job, work out five to six days a week (running and weight lifting) and my activity level is set to active. Sedentary and lightly active, I lose weight.

I think it's more trial and error than anything, and everybody is different.
  • defauIt
    defauIt Posts: 118 Member
    I worked as a cashier for 3 years back in high school and university, I would log as lightly active personally.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    I agree with SSLRunner. My job is nowhere near as active as yours sounds, but I have had to change to active or I lose weight quicker than I want - I sit down most of the day, with a bit of walking round and initially set my activity to lightly active just because I cycle 10 mins (not fast) to work and back each day. Even logging and eating back my exercise calories separately I was losing weight when I wanted to maintain.
  • SLLRunner
    I agree with SSLRunner. My job is nowhere near as active as yours sounds, but I have had to change to active or I lose weight quicker than I want - I sit down most of the day, with a bit of walking round and initially set my activity to lightly active just because I cycle 10 mins (not fast) to work and back each day. Even logging and eating back my exercise calories separately I was losing weight when I wanted to maintain.
    That's what happens to me as well. I am still slowly losing, so I'm tracking my calories and weight each day to see what my average calorie intake is.
  • Jkj95
    Jkj95 Posts: 64 Member
    I'm a cashier at McDonald's and I put active, but that's mostly because I have to move around a lot no matter how busy it is. I wouldn't put anything less than lightly active if you're on your feet the whole day, though.
  • Thank you for all your general feed back-I have an idea where I need to beM
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    I also work about an hour to an hour 1/2 at the gym.

This is not part of your activity level it should be logged separately under exercise
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member

I have a desk job, work out five to six days a week (running and weight lifting) and my activity level is set to active. Sedentary and lightly active, I lose weight.

I think it's more trial and error than anything, and everybody is different.

Do you log at least your running separately or are you using more of a TDEE approach? MFP settings assume you will log your exercise separately as mentioned by a previous poster. I suppose another method if you don't feel like you can properly quantify your exercise is to pick a higher activity level than you really may be

Per the app: Sedentary: on your buns most of the day - desk job. Lightly active: on your feet most of the day - teacher, salesman . Active: a good part of the day doing physical activity - waiter, mailman. Very active: heavy physical activity - bike messenger, carpenter.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member

I think it's more trial and error than anything[\b], and everybody is different.

Chose a number, work with that.
    You can also use your own data after a few weeks to create your own estimate.

cR7Xq80l.png

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/EvgeniZyntx/view/new-mfp-data-export-tool-major-update-659927