Tips for a noobie?

Options
Just starting on this site, and I was wondering if any of you have tips that you'd wish you knew when you started out?

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    1. You can still eat the foods you love - just make sure they fit into your calorie goals.
    2. Make sure you were accurate about your activity level on your profile.
    3. If you have a day where you go over - don't let it destroy your hard work - just do better the next day.
    4. Take photos - today (front, back, side)! And measurements.
    5. Remind yourself that you deserve to be healthy - this isn't a race, it's a journey.
    6. Find exercises that you enjoy so exercising won't feel like a chore.

Good luck :)
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    MFP has worked for me, I really can't say enough good about it. If you're obedient about charting you calories everyday, and staying within the recommended calorie goal MFP works.

Prior to joining here, I had taken off about 18 pounds and then got stuck on a plateau that lasted for well over a year. In the 51 days I have been faithfully logging in, I got off of the plateau and have lost 5 pounds Now only 6 pounds to go.

For a tip--I bought a Jawbone UP that I wear all of the time. It tracks the steps I take during the day, but I can also log in workout s on the UP, and that syncs with MFP. So I can know tell how many calories I am consuming, but I also get an accurate count of how many calories I am burning. I have both of these on my cell phone--so no matter where I am at I can use them.

Welcome and Good Luck!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Best tip?

Bookmark this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Second, focus on nutrition as well as numbers, but don't over complicate it.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Just starting on this site, and I was wondering if any of you have tips that you'd wish you knew when you started out?
    I so wish this post had been here back when I started. I had to learn it all through trial & error: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Great minds think alike!
  • sacris55
    sacris55 Posts: 6
    Options
    Make a routine that you stick to, in a few weeks you'll be so used to it that you will not miss being at home or somewhere else instead than in the gym or working out. At the beginning I couldn't stop thinking that I would rather be at home instead than working out, now I love going to the gym so much that they are going to start charging extra ;)

Eat healthy and take pictures of yourself to keep track. Sometimes you won't notice the change just by looking at the mirror but the pictures help a lot to show you how great you are doing.

Good luck!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Its not a diet, its a lifestyle change and no, you can't go back!
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Don't log your food as you're eating it, it's depressing.

Choose physical activities you enjoy, rather than something you detest and it's a chore to do. It may be tough starting exercise, which is different and just because something's difficult, it doesn't make it unenjoyable. But if you don't like running on a treadmill, lifting weights, going swimming or whatever - don't do it, even if people on the internet tell you must do that particular activity to have any hope of losing weight. You won't lose any weight at all when you get cheesed off and jack it in.
  • charlton200
    charlton200 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Log in advance if you can, especially if eating out - avoids any surprises later!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Great minds think alike!
    YES!
  • mayfrayy
    mayfrayy Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    keep logging no matter how boring/annoying it is. im pretty active and i still eat way to much / to little without tracking.
    err on the lower side when logging exercise, higher side when logging food.
  • truelypinkthing
    truelypinkthing Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Make lots of MFP friends:happy: , they really motivate you, and not just ones from your own age group, mix it up, go international, its interesting too.
    Weigh your food to start off with, its so easy to guess, and be wildly out. After a week or two you know your portion sizes.
    DONT weigh yourself every day, you'll fluctuate naturally and its demoralising.
    Be brave, keep your diary public, folks will help you tweak it (no-one has been nasty to me yet!)
    Walk lots.
    Drink lots of water, avoid fizzy drinks.:drinker:
    Ive got a fitbit one, it tracks activities and syncs with MFP, really motivating.
    Enjoy the new healthy you.:smile: