Numbing/tingling toes

Options
I noticed yesterday that my toes were numbling/tingling while I worked out. What could cause this?

Thanks,

Replies

• jcm214
    jcm214 Posts: 157
    Options
    mine do this sometimes if my shoes are too tight. The only other cause for me is sciatica in the left leg.
  • Creiche
    Creiche Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    How well do your shoes fit? How long have you had them? I'm not an expert, but I've had issues with foot or shin pain when my shoes wear out and I'm not getting sufficient support and cushioning from the impact of running.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I'd just check with your doctor.
  • Bigpelly8
    Bigpelly8 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    on the elliptical by any chance? Mine do it from the front of my foot being wedged against the front of the pedal thingy. I need to keep sliding my feet back. I loosened my sneakers, but that didn;t change anything for me.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I get this if I spend 20+ minutes on the elliptical, so I remedy it by lifting my feet off the paddles - it alleviates the numbness.
    I was recently diagnosed with an inflammation of the tendons in my ankle, and it tends to squeeze regular blood flow to my feet/toes.
  • jamaka1
    jamaka1 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    are you diabetic? or it could just be that ur blood is not circulating properly. keep hydrated, good luck
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    My feet used to fall asleep while running, went to the local running store and they changed the way my shoes were laced...problem fixed, my feet no longer fall asleep. There is a vein that runs along the top of your foot when pressed too hard will cause your foot to fall asleep. This is how I lace my shoes now:

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/straightbarlacing.htm
  • 44Tony
    44Tony Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try taking your shoelaces out of the uppermost set of holes. That was causing numbness for me running...that, and my arthritic knee.
  • paulaercksn
    paulaercksn Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    What kind of exercise are you doing? I had back surgery in July and have been in physical therapy since August. I started using the elliptical in October. I mentioned the same thing to my therapist. We are both tall (5'11") and she said that because the elliptical is designed for a person of average height that is one of the side effects. I imagine that is a problem on a lot of exercise equipment. That might be the problem. I've noticed that if I move my feet to the front of the pedals, the problem is not as bad.

Good luck!
  • TheLastKeeper
    TheLastKeeper Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I know you've probably already thought of this, but did you get checked by your family doctor before you started this? You've got a great goal set for yourself, but that amount of targeted loss should only be done after a physical to make sure there are no underlying issues, such as diabetes, C/V issues, etc.
    Please, don't think I'm trying to stop you, but you need to know for sure for your overall health. It could be something as simple as your shoes being too tight, or it could be a circulation issue. Your doctor would be a great place to start.
    Have a blessed day.
  • jodieunited
    jodieunited Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    hiya i have vitamin b12 deficency this is one of the signs.
  • margie_77
    margie_77 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem sometimes. For me its a problem with my sciatic nerve. If I get off the elyptical and shake it out I'm fine. You should check with your Dr. though. :)
  • pastancil
    Options
    This happened to me on the elliptical as well. The machine I was using had a way to set the stride for a shorter stride and when we did that it took care of the problem.
  • jodieunited
    jodieunited Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    hiya i have vitamin b12 deficency and this is one of the signs.
    my feet tingle/pins and needles.
  • LozFearn
    LozFearn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Were you on a stair climber or cross trainer? If so, mine always do this - it's simply the pressure on your feet restricting the blood supply, try moving your toes around and taking feet off the steps slightly when the steps are 'up'.
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    on the elliptical by any chance? Mine do it from the front of my foot being wedged against the front of the pedal thingy. I need to keep sliding my feet back. I loosened my sneakers, but that didn;t change anything for me.

Same here! Happens to me every time I'm on the elliptical and I just got fitted last month at a running shoe store with special inserts and it still does it.
  • phitme
    phitme Posts: 124
    Options
    Try watching how tight you tie your shoes. If mine are too tight right across where the "bow" in my laces is, I notice they do that.

Besides that, it is true that some just experience it normally.

Also, if you tend to feel it later in your workout, take a moment to retie your shoes as your feet probably swell during your workout.
  • doramouse
    doramouse Posts: 160
    Options
    Loosen your laces. It happened to me, I went to the Dr and talked to my physical therapist - they both said to loosen the laces, I have and they don't do that anymore.
  • defygravity531
    defygravity531 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    This happens to me and I've been told (especially on the elliptical) that it's because my body weight was been pressing down on the same spot the whole time I've been on the machine. If I get off and walk on the treadmill or just walk around for a few it goes away. I've found I can prevent it by keeping my weight distributed evenly on my whole foot, not just the balls of my feet.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    happens to me too, just pause and wiggle your toes...there really is nothing you can do about it, but if it concerns you go to the walk in clinic and see what the possibilities are. make sure your shoes are good and not to tight, and wear good, thick, cotton socks for cushion.