afraid to diet long-term

Options
Okay so I'm a 19 year old in college who's gained way more than just the freshman 15, and I wasn't even skinny to start off with. I'm 5'2" at 171lbs and I wanna get down to somewhere in between 118-125, depending on how I look. I've been doing good so far but the one thing that scares me is the fact that I have SO much weight to lose. Based off of what I've heard, it'll take me at LEAST 8 months to lose weight. I don't know how i'll be able to keep this up for that long. Its only been a couple of weeks and I already am craving the junk food I used to pig out on. How can I go for 8 months eating healthy? Especially in college! What do I do when I'm staying up late at the library if I can't order pizza? How about when I don't have time to go back home between classes? At movie nights with my friends? Honestly this is the one thing keeping me from being 100% motivated to lose weight. I don't know how its possible.

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    A healthy loss at your size is 1 lb. per week.

Eat "healthy" (whatever that means to you) 80% of the time. Fit yummy, portion-controlled treats into your calorie goal. Deprivation can lead to bingeing.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Jazz_2014
    Jazz_2014 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    How to eat an elephant? one bite at a time. Otherwise, how to attack a big problem, one thing at a time.
    If you are feeling overwhelmed, then don't look so far out that it is overwhelming. Pick one thing you can change. Something that improves your health choices and do it. Make it a habit. Then in about three weeks more or less . . . pick something else and change that. You like coke, go to water. You can eat pizza, just have a slice and don't eat it often.
    When you can't seem to prepare for those moments that your choices are practically all bad, then be VERY good when you can control your choices. You can approach this with great flexibility.

Having back up plans is extremely helpful for those moments you described. Going to the movies . . . have water, take along a flavoring such as Propel grape (its tasty) and add it to your water. Have popcorn. Or sneak in a healthy snack.

The whole process is adapting to a new lifestyle. Don't force yourself into so much change that it is daunting. You want this to be a lifestyle change that will stick. Good luck and enjoy the elephant one bite at a time.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Commit yourself 100% to doing "better" for 2 weeks. In two weeks, think about where you would be if you hadnt (i.e. 2 pounds heavier? stayed the same?). Then recommit for another two weeks. And as everyone said, this is for a lifetime, so dont start out with a huge drastic change. Look at everything you eat right now and try to change one thing for the "better" - that might mean just getting a veggie pizza instead of meat lovers (big diff in calories!). Or getting a salad to go with the pizza so you eat less (most pizza places sell salad too). Start small, change a little at a time and dont think so far ahead.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    OMG --- 8 WHOLE MONTHS!!!!

There is no reason to give up any food unless directed by a doctor for medical reasons. Pizza and a healthy weight can coexist if eaten in moderation. Of course, that requires eating portions and not mindlessly stuffing slice after slice down one's throat.

Healthy weight is a side effect of eating reasonable amounts for a person's activity level. Losing in a healthy manner takes time .. so did gaining in the first place. Figure out your caloric needs, eat at a deficit, enjoy real food .... continue until time for maintenance then stop eating at a deficit while avoiding a surplus.
  • Astronomically_Im_Tiny
    Options
    Don't be afraid to bring a lunch. If you bring a lunch, you won't have to eat at the cafe.

A diet is what you make it to be. eat what you feel is good for your body, and do not give in to social pressure. If you give into social pressure and just eat what others are eating because you are "not cool" if you don't, you don't stand a chance. Not to say that is the case, but most girls your age only care what other people think of them.

Plan your day, and bring food from home. Eat more fruits, pack more sandwiches and stirfrys. This dieting thing is not a white/black issue. it is not like one pizza will shoot down your entire progress. Indulging somewhat is okay, as it keeps you happy. You don't have to be in prison the whole time you are losing weight. You just have to have will power.

Oh, and join some Meetup.com groups. People focused on specific interests in your area ready to meet up and do something. Maybe that will help.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Try it for a day. And do one thing - Give yourself a message that you are not on a diet. We all know diets don't work. I lost hundreds of pounds dieting. When I changed my attitude to one of wanting to live a healthy life, I stopped yo-yoing and started losing.
  • Cycle4Life99
    Options
    You should be afraid to diet long-term. That's being doomed to failure. Now, if you can do a lifestyle change you'll be doing much better.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    you do realize that you will need to keep up with the for the rest of your life if you want to not gain weight back, right?

8 months is enough time to relearn good habits about eating that will last you a lifetime. it's not that long
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    8 months? Try...the rest of your life. Not that you have to "diet" for the rest of your life, but if you plan on reaching and maintaining a healthy weight...that means committing to eating the appropriate number of calories and getting the right amount of activity...well...pretty much forever. The number of calories may change, depending in your size, activity level, and age...but you will never be able to "go back to how it was before the diet" if you want to stay your new healthy weight.

Don't let this be too daunting though...as others have said: one day at a time.

Also...you can order pizza. With a friend. And eat two slices instead of the whole pie.. Then log it.

No time between classes? Plan ahead. Bring food with you. Snacks like fruit and nuts travel well. Get yourself an insulated lunch bag for cut up veggies, or dairy or other protein that needs to stay cool. There's a solution for almost every challenge.
  • tpt1950
    tpt1950 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    If you want permanent weight loss you have to go MUCH LONGER than 8 months... it's a life-long commitment. It won't be easy, but IF you really want it (that is key!!) it is doable and you have to always work at it but it does get easier. Good luck and - you CAN do it.
  • IslandDreamer64
    IslandDreamer64 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Once you stop "dieting", then what? You're still going to have to eat in a way that is different from how you were eating when putting on the weight. I don't believe in dieting, I believe in making lifestyle changes that you can keep up for the rest of your life. There's no reason you can't have some "junk" food that you're craving, just plan for it and count it. Being too restrictive WILL backfire.
  • clairetomkinson84
    clairetomkinson84 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if you look at it in that way then it is doomed to fail. A diet makes you think that there's an end to it. What are you going to do at the end? Eat the same food as before and gain the weight back? To keep the weight off you need to totally overhaul your lifestyle. You still have treats and just try having healthy food throughout the day.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Okay so I'm a 19 year old in college who's gained way more than just the freshman 15, and I wasn't even skinny to start off with. I'm 5'2" at 171lbs and I wanna get down to somewhere in between 118-125, depending on how I look. I've been doing good so far but the one thing that scares me is the fact that I have SO much weight to lose. Based off of what I've heard, it'll take me at LEAST 8 months to lose weight. I don't know how i'll be able to keep this up for that long. Its only been a couple of weeks and I already am craving the junk food I used to pig out on. How can I go for 8 months eating healthy? Especially in college! What do I do when I'm staying up late at the library if I can't order pizza? How about when I don't have time to go back home between classes? At movie nights with my friends? Honestly this is the one thing keeping me from being 100% motivated to lose weight. I don't know how its possible.

whats the point in losing any weight if you're just going to put it all on again with all the pizza and junk that you HAVE to eat in 8 months time!?