regain weight after rapid loss

Options
hello i have lost about 44 pounds i around a month many people say i will regain the quickly i want to know how to maintain my weight after such a regime ?

Replies

• tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Increase your calories slowly until you find your stable. I mean like 100 to 200 a day for a week and then increase again the next week if you find your still losing. Just keep increasing until your stable and if you find your gaining then drop off slowly.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, if you did lose 44 lbs in a month, alot of it would be muscle and some water weight. Were you ill? Were you not eating at all? Generally speaking, it is impossible for the body to lose 44 lbs of fat weight in a month. The safe rate of weight loss is 2 pounds per week maximum, or 8 pounds per month. That allows you to keep your muscle for the most part while losing fat.
    Being that you more than likely lost alot of muscle, your metabolism is now lower than what it was, which will make it easier for you to gain weight. I would say that what your family/friends are telling you is correct, there is a high chance you will gain all of the weight back--and some more on top of that.
    If I were you, I would seek the advice of a nutritionist, and also see your Dr to get a checkup and be sure that healthwise you are ok after losing an unreasonable amount of weight so quickly. Good luck to you.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How did you lose 44lbs in a month?
  • FitnessInstructorKhalil
    Options
    Losing 44 lbs in a month is amazing, but it is mainly water weight, when you exercise make sure you drink 2-3litres if water daily to replace your water loss. And yes you might start putting weight back on but you can control it from here, its up to you to decide whether you want to put on fat or muscle, so keep training like you were and add resistance (weights) training to your regimen. Also increase your protein consumption and do a lot more muscular endurance exercises (Calisthenics) to help build muscles.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    hello i have lost about 44 pounds i around a month many people say i will regain the quickly i want to know how to maintain my weight after such a regime ?
    Am I misreading? You lost 44 pounds in a month?
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Losing 44 lbs in a month is amazing, but it is mainly water weight, when you exercise make sure you drink 2-3litres if water daily to replace your water loss. And yes you might start putting weight back on but you can control it from here, its up to you to decide whether you want to put on fat or muscle, so keep training like you were and add resistance (weights) training to your regimen. Also increase your protein consumption and do a lot more muscular endurance exercises (Calisthenics) to help build muscles.
    No, 44 pounds cannot be mostly water weight.
  • earthboundmisfit
    earthboundmisfit Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    44 lbs lost in a month sounds dangerous. That's more than a pound a day, every day. I don't know how somebody could lose like that unless they were very sick.
  • FeistyGirl007
    FeistyGirl007 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is possible to keep it off. You lost a solid 44 lbs and I am very proud of you. I have done it. Lost 30 lbs in one month and kept if off for 15 yrs. Did it again, lost 20 in a month and kept it off for another 10 yrs... I was extremely healthy both of the times that I did it. BOTH times, while eating lots of broiled chicken and salad, every day, with bran muffins for a snack. No tricks, no diet pills, no gimmicks... Light exercising, if any and NEVER ATE past 6pm. If you are healthy, it IS quite possible to lose weight rapidly and not gain it back. You just have to be smart and not take it for granted. I wrote this WHOLE big email, explaining exactly what I did, AGAIN, SAFELY, to keep the weight off and then I deleted it, because I didn't want to bore everyone... as it was LONG... lol... If you want, you can send me an email and I will explain it to you. It is not difficult, you just have to get your body to catch up to your metabolism- and vice versa. You body is very confused right now and hasn't had enough time to adjust- so, very easy to gain weight back, IF you don't keep on top of it, every day. Not scientific, just my opinion after many years of experimenting, as I am OLD, lol...... This may take a year of being careful, not crazy, with a minimum of maintenance, but you can do it. In MY opinion, it was always easier to maintain, than to take it off! lol... ( p.s Obvious disclaimer, you shouldn't do this, gain it back, and do it over and over again, or, if you are older or not healthy, you shouldn't take off weight fast...) But, people do this all the time, athletes, people prepping for surgery, etc... It doesn't do any good to chastise him now, as he already has taken the weight off. Be proud of your accomplishment! The ONE, main piece of advice from me, is to get on the scale, same time every morning and log in your weight- for the NEXT YEAR... to make and KEEP you accountable. So, if you have a bad day? Don't stress... Just be mindful the next day and eat a bit lighter, maybe a salad and finish dinner a bit earlier in the day. That's all. Should reflect back onto the scale the next morning! ( I noticed that gradually, over the 6 months- 1 yr, after I lost that initial weight, my body caught up with my metabolism and I became a "normal " person. ( Never gained or lost any more weight) Not skinny, not fat... Just a regular person, with a normal metabolism! It felt wonderful! :flowerforyou: Remember, that weighing in EVERY DAY, helped me the most. If you don't, you can easily gain 2, or 5, then 8, then 10 lbs, and you will NEVER even know it- until it is too late :noway: ... It is a slippery slope, expecially with summer clothes, that are loose...lol... Again, sorry to write a novel... Best of luck to you!
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Do you mean 4.4 pounds?
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, if you did lose 44 lbs in a month, alot of it would be muscle and some water weight. Were you ill? Were you not eating at all? Generally speaking, it is impossible for the body to lose 44 lbs of fat weight in a month. The safe rate of weight loss is 2 pounds per week maximum, or 8 pounds per month. That allows you to keep your muscle for the most part while losing fat.
    Being that you more than likely lost alot of muscle, your metabolism is now lower than what it was, which will make it easier for you to gain weight. I would say that what your family/friends are telling you is correct, there is a high chance you will gain all of the weight back--and some more on top of that.
    If I were you, I would seek the advice of a nutritionist, and also see your Dr to get a checkup and be sure that healthwise you are ok after losing an unreasonable amount of weight so quickly. Good luck to you.

It's not impossible. During the divorce from hell I lost 30 in two weeks. I don't remember not eating. Go figure.
  • FeistyGirl007
    FeistyGirl007 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Fyi- In case anyone is wondering, why I can't just take off the weight fast, in 1 month now... I WISH that I could still lose weight that fast, but I can't anymore. I was super healthy in NY, moved to GA, where, unbeknownst to me, I was exposed, for a long time, to lots of toxic chemicals, heavy metals, pesticides, mercury, black mold and Candida, that made me quite sick and I gained 50 lbs in only 3 months...and I kept on gaining, no matter what I did or ate, or even if I exercised... Nightmare! I used to be very active and these toxins make me nauseaus and exhausted, every day, in addition to the awful weight gain. :embarassed: Just diagnosed and it is extremely difficult to take any weight off now, for a variety of reasons. So, please don't take your good health for granted. :bigsmile: And, if you are having a really hard time taking off your weight, for no apparent reason, you may have what I have. :angry: It took me a LONG time to figure it out... :ohwell: Good luck everybody! :flowerforyou:
  • nedtoloseme
    nedtoloseme Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, there's no way anyone can tell me they lost 44 (or 30) pounds in a month. I have lost 10 pounds in a month & my nutritionist & doctor kept asking me if I was okay (I also stopped losing for about 6 weeks afterward). OP you should really go to your doctor to make sure ecerything is okay. Just to put your mind at ease. Best of luck!
  • NewTnme
    NewTnme Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Someone can loose 44 lbs in 1 month. The person may be ill and filled with excess fluid. As well as an morbid obese person can after having gastric surgeries. Some under 200 lbs can forget it... it will take longer. .. so hang in there... best wishes to everyone on their weight loss journey.
  • nedtoloseme
    Options

It's not impossible. During the divorce from hell I lost 30 in two weeks. I don't remember not eating. Go figure.
  • nedtoloseme
    Options
    Sunnyside & feisty those a legitimate reasos. The OP didn't give or have a reason. They need to go to their doctor to grt a checkup to be sure nothing else is happening.
  • LunaStar2008
    LunaStar2008 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I think everyone misread his post. He lost 44lbs. But his family states that in a month or so he may gain it all back and he is asking for advice how too maintain, Since he has poor grammar it reads at first that he lost it in a month. Read it again.....it really doesn't say that, it only says in a month or so, he will regain it....why is everyone so upset about it.

He just asking for advice to maintain.....
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I think everyone misread his post. He lost 44lbs. But his family states that in a month or so he may gain it all back and he is asking for advice how too maintain, Since he has poor grammar it reads at first that he lost it in a month. Read it again.....it really doesn't say that, it only says in a month or so, he will regain it....why is everyone so upset about it.

Actually it's confusing because it can be read either way.

hello i have lost about 44 pounds in around a month. many people say i will regain the quickly. i want to know how to maintain my weight after such a regime ?

hello i have lost about 44 pounds. in around a month many people say i will regain the quickly. i want to know how to maintain my weight after such a regime ?

ETA maybe OP can clarify.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options

I didn't say impossible to lose 44 pounds. I said 44 lbs of FAT WEIGHT. big difference.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

That's a good point, and maybe that is what he meant to write but it's really not clear like you try to make it sound. It's a relief, though, because 44 pounds in a month is a lot.

OP, if you find out what your Total daily energy expenditure is (TDEE) by going here: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

Plug in your gender, height, age, weight, and the highest number will be the number you don't eat over. Maintenance is trial and error, so you might want to slowly add back in calories and see how your weight does. I would start with maybe 50 calories extra a day and go from there.
  • AliSayed17
    AliSayed17 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    i trained a lot in that mounth and i dont think that its water loss i drink about 8 liters of water a day i am having a 600 calorie diet per day and run 2 hours every day