Biking Advice [Motivation and Help Needed]

Options
I'm going to be 100% straight forward when I say I am not motivated to exercise (though I have been doing a lot more recently) and have the worst image of myself for various reasons. However, this more or less 'fear' or exercise because I know/think I'll be unable to follow through/complete it has to come to an end. Since I do not drive I have to apply for jobs within walking or biking distance. Since all within walking distance have either turned my applications down or have no openings, I've decided to expand my reach to within biking distance. This is where the problem comes in. I don't know if I can do it.

I'm very unfit when it comes to biking though I get in at least a half hour of stationary biking each day and stretches and a shower afterwards. The fact that I might bike to my job and be unable to perform to the best of my abilities because I'm worn out from the bike ride there is...heart breaking to me. How can I train myself on my bike since I'm assuming its going to be SO different than the stationary and I just...want to work on it.

Please keep all replies without any comments on how I should have done this or that or I could have prevented this or that because 1) I've heard all of that before from too many people to count and 2) It will only make me feel worse and worse about myself. YES, I let this happen and YES this is my fault but...rubbing it in won't help me. I want to change and am making efforts to change, isn't that enough for now?

I don't know I guess I just need an extra push in the right direction because I'm getting a little depressed about this whole thing...

Replies

• SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be 100% straight forward when I say I am not motivated to exercise (though I have been doing a lot more recently) and have the worst image of myself for various reasons. However, this more or less 'fear' or exercise because I know/think I'll be unable to follow through/complete it has to come to an end. Since I do not drive I have to apply for jobs within walking or biking distance. Since all within walking distance have either turned my applications down or have no openings, I've decided to expand my reach to within biking distance. This is where the problem comes in. I don't know if I can do it.

I'm very unfit when it comes to biking though I get in at least a half hour of stationary biking each day and stretches and a shower afterwards. The fact that I might bike to my job and be unable to perform to the best of my abilities because I'm worn out from the bike ride there is...heart breaking to me. How can I train myself on my bike since I'm assuming its going to be SO different than the stationary and I just...want to work on it.

Please keep all replies without any comments on how I should have done this or that or I could have prevented this or that because 1) I've heard all of that before from too many people to count and 2) It will only make me feel worse and worse about myself. YES, I let this happen and YES this is my fault but...rubbing it in won't help me. I want to change and am making efforts to change, isn't that enough for now?

I don't know I guess I just need an extra push in the right direction because I'm getting a little depressed about this whole thing...

Don't beat yourself up. It's OK!!!!

Assuming your bike has gears, you really can select an easy gear to pedal longer distances without wearing yourself out. There is nothing wrong with riding slowly and barely breaking a sweat (or not breaking a sweat) when using the bike as transportation. I commute quite often (wearing a business suit) and of course - do not want to sweat - so I pedal easy, go slow and keep sweating at a bear miniimum (until the warmer months that is). I used to commute 7 miles each direction and it did not make my work performance suffer at all. I did, however, on that commute have to freshen up a bit at the work place due to a bit of sweat from the ride. My current commute is a little more than 2 miles, so I barely break any sweat unless the humidity is high and temperatures are scorching.

My suggestiion would be to move from the exercise bike to the real bike and get out and do some trips to increase your duration and feel what it is like to do a ride to and from a place (such as a potential employer). Again, if your bike has gears - just choose the easier gears, pedal easy and you will adapt rather quickly to riding outside.

Not to mention - it's really fun to tool around on a bike. Makes you feel like a kid again!
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I actually find it easier to get out and get on my real bike then to use the stationary bike. Much more fun, breezy, and you got to get home some how! I agree with the suggestion to just get out and use it. You can do short 15-30 minutes rides and as you build up stamina go longer or faster. I found once I started biking regularly it was easy to get out and do it, but I also really enjoy it which makes it easier.