Anyone in the 50's going for the 60's

Options

Replies

• garyhorder
    garyhorder Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Just turned 50 and a whole new life lhas beenthrown at my feet, need to be far more active, in fact very active, so a healthier life style is in order
  • TDH63
    TDH63 Posts: 7
    Options
    I'm 50, a wife, mother, grandmother and soon to be a ggm... Please feel free to add me for accountability, encouragement, tips, successes. I need more women to know I'm not alone in this struggle....

:flowerforyou:
  • nonacgp
    nonacgp Posts: 132
    Options
    I am older than every post that has answered yours. I am 67. So..you know I have the same issues. I need to lose 30 more pounds and it gets harder and harder to do it. I finally realized that exercise is the key. I have no success when I don't workout 6 days a week. I am retired so I have no excuses anymore. Bought a treadmill 8 wks ago and it has motivated me. I can get on it any old time of the day and can do it in my pj's if I so choose. I am up to doing at least a 5 K six times a week and sometimes I do as much as 4.3 miles on some days. Three times a week, I also do step aerobics with a 4 inch step for 35-40 minutes. Yes, I have aches and pains but I work through them, ice after working out (really helps) and weigh only once a week. Another wonderful motivator is like what one of the other posters said and that is to buy a good monitoring device that you wear and it keeps track of your every move, heart rate and calories burned as well as other more complicated things that I don't even use. Some use the fit bit. After some research, I bought a lifetrak and I love it. I never take it off. It is about $30 less than the fit bit and does everything the fit bit does. I highly recommend one if you are serious about losing the weight. Age is only a number ladies. Put it behind you and lose the pounds. You can do it!!! Feel free to send me a friend request. Love my more senior members of my fitness pal!!:love:
  • RUNNING_AMOK_1958
    RUNNING_AMOK_1958 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    It's all in your head. I turned 60 a few months ago, and I am in better shape than I was at 59 & 3/4.

This^^^ YES! Note that it was a guy that said it. THINK LIKE A GUY!
  • vickikwhisler
    vickikwhisler Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm 54, will be 55 in November. I have the same list of complaints as many of you: zero flexibility, joint aches and pains, menopausal, 3 herniated disks from doing absolutely nothing, fairly sedentary job (English teacher), and a lifetime of poor eating habits. I am trying to not use that list as excuses, but as signs that I HAVE to do something NOW! I read through the posts on this thread and sent out some friend requests to some of you already. I love all of the success stories, but I feel like I really need the connection with the people who are in a similar place as I am.
  • Pianoteacher617
    Options
    Me, too! I'm 58 and as you say, things just don't work like they used to. I'm a professional pianist and I'm finding that I have to take pain relievers prior to performing now. It's a pleasure to meet you, good luck to you!
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Hiya!

59 here, I'm into my 4th year with MFP. It works! I weighed 225 when I began, all stove up with sciatic pain, herniated disk, etc. Started daily with specific exercises from a book called "Pain Free' by Pete Egoscue, becoming pain free within 5 months, and lost 50 lbs in my first year. Dropped another 15 the following year. The last few pounds have been stubborn, but they will come off once I get serious again. :tongue:

The things I found to be most helpful - drinking lots of water, and cutting way down on bread, rice, pasta, potatoes and (ahem) wine. I still enjoy all of these things, but in smaller portions, and I eat 1/2 cup of beans almost daily. Also, I started tracking potassium, trying to keep my numbers around 4000 a day. Lots of vegs, low-sodium V8, etc. Potassium helps us feel better in general. Here's a good site to check out: www.krispin.com/potassm.html

It's amazing what we can do when we put our minds to it! Best of luck to everyone, get going, and never, ever, give up. It's not always fun, it's not always easy. But it can be lots of fun with a good group of friends!! :bigsmile:
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, I'm 53. I am down to my goal weight, {176} after losing 65 pounds since last September. Now that I'm at my goal weight I'm working on lowering BMI and building muscle mass. I'm pretty healthy, but have enough joint pain that running is out of the question for me. I do walk a lot, and have started {light} weight training. I want to swim more too. I went last week and I'm still feeling it, which means it works you out good.

I accept all FR, so I'll add anyone who wants me.

Larro
  • unhinge
    unhinge Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Oh yes!!!

I am 51 years old and going through menopause (hot flashes and vertigo). I've been overweight my whole life. Even when I thought I was a decent size (about 180ish) when I was about 20 yrs old, I was still considered "big."

I've been on too many diets, trying whatever I could to lose weight only to gain it back over and over again. My latest attempt was 3 years ago on WW where I lost 46 lbs, and again, I gained it back. Now, here I am giving it another try but find that this has been THE MOST DIFFICULT time for me.

I started MFP in September, 2013, stopped for a while and started up again in December. Now, several months later, I've only lost 9 lbs., I lost 1.2 lbs this morning, but it was the weight I gained last week. That's what I've been going through and I am fed up. It feels as if my metabolism has just stopped.

The only thing that is partially saving me are my workouts. I do cardio and strength and walk as much as I can, wearing a FitBit ZIP to keep track of it all. There are certain exercises I cannot do because of arthritis in my knees and ankles and my back hurts at times, too. Floor exercises are my enemy. It takes too long to get on the floor and even longer to get up, so I do what I can.

Even though I haven't lost much, I am starting to see and feel a difference in my body with the way my clothes fit and feel that my stomach is going down, so for that I am happy. Even though I'm starting to lose inches, I would like the weight to follow. I just wish I could find a way to jump-start this stalled metabolism.

I am 58 and done with meno except for the night sweats. 3 years on MFP. I lost 47 pounds the first year and then stalled for over a year. COULD not get the scale to move. I started to gain the weight back after I got discouraged and quit logging. I was VERY depressed because I have spent a lifetime loosing and gaining and gaining MORE.

In November I started logging again and in January I started working with an on line life coach to help me turn my yo-yo dieting around.

I am now eating much more than I ever thought I could and loosing INCHES=FAT! I do strength training (never thought I would be doing) to keep the muscle I have left and keep my bones strong so by the time I am 60 I won't feel like I'm 80 ;-))
  • esther617
    esther617 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hey there 50-somethings! You can add me as friend. I log daily (on day 49!) and try to be supportive. My food and exercise log is open to friends. Here is a blurb from my profile:

"I lost about 40 lbs several years ago, kept it off for a couple of years, then it all came back when my job and life got more stressful, and I turned 50. I know how to do this. I also know how hard it is to stay on track to lose weight while keeping it real. And then to maintain the lifestyle. Exercise is key for the mind and body. Eating healthy too. I like to cook healthy meals. My weakness is portion size and, too much snacking on things like crackers and cheese!"

I'm also a wife, mother to two teens, and hold down a job. So, I'm trying to do the balancing act. I try to eat wholesome food, and cook most days for my family, though my log will show occasional trips to the fast casual type restaurants, especially those with some good choices available.
  • Nige_Gsy
    Nige_Gsy Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I've been here almost 20 months, feel a bit more confident, and am looking for some fun and like minded folks to be friends with. I log in daily, and have a public diary in case that is important for you.

Please feel free to friend me if you think I could offer support, encouragement, a little random craziness, or whatever you are looking for.
  • yvie63
    yvie63 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Hi - I'm 51 in August. Yes, I notice things are not as they used to be and am going through the big M at the moment - I'm hoping that shedding weight will help with that - I'm already seeing some benefits healthwise. Happy to be added. I log daily and try to be supportive as much as poss.
  • Wenchiness
    Wenchiness Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Just a couple o' weeks off 58 here, and yup... it all changes, wrinkles and sags. Gravity sucks! I had numerous issues that led me to being a crippled, almost inactive slug, but started turning it all around last July. Have now lost 110 lbs and have rejoined the human race. Feel free to friend me. if you'd like. I've got about 100 more lbs to dump.
  • plateaued
    plateaued Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Age 69. Running 18 miles per week. L.A. marathon in April. No problems.
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I turn 56 this summer. I joined MFP in January. I have lost 13 pounds so far. I would like to lose a couple more but I am pretty happy now. I am 5'3" and weigh 126. Logging and tracking calories have made a big difference. Cutting way back on my nightly glasses of wine too, I still have some but not much. I exercise daily, including lifting weights. Portion control and lots of water is needed at this stage of our lives. I am dealing with menopause too, hot flashes for about three years now and slow metabolism. Make healthy choices and we can do this ladies!
  • seilidhe
    seilidhe Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I'm in this group, agewise... 55 going on 56 near the end of August, but really?!? I am not old enough to be this old... at least, mentally. Hahahah! My body sometimes thinks it's much older as it usually sounds like someone just poured a cup of milk on Rice Krispies when I'm trying to move about (especially my knees). Alas, I have also noticed that as I've lost weight, the wrinkles in my neck/face are more noticeable. However, I feel better than I have in twenty-five years (the last time I was at a good weight for me). And I think I'm in better shape than I was when I lost the weight all those years ago. So, physically, I may not look like I'm still in my thirties, but mentally and how I feel? I'm probably better than I was in my thirties. :)

As always, it's nice to meet all y'all!
  • TDH63
    TDH63 Posts: 7
    Options
    FEEL FREE TO ADD ME... I need all the accountability and the truth!! I'm tired of this body lying to me!!!
    I'm 50, a wife, mother, grandmother and soon to be ggm. But I plan on being one of the coolest and fittest Nanna's out there!! Not giving up or in!!

LETS DO THIS...
  • lorri1961
    lorri1961 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi I can join in too, 52 and still trying. To lose weight ,even had surgery to lose and that hasn't worked too well only lost 5kg the week after the op in April ,nothing since. Sad that nothing seems to work.
    Lorri
  • nonacgp
    nonacgp Posts: 132
    Options
    You are an inspiration!! Good for you!
  • lcolpo
    lcolpo Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    53 and understand the changing body struggles! Good luck!