Reached my goal weight, but I'm not satisifed with my body

Options
Hi there! I've been doing calorie counting for a while now. I started back in September 2012. Then, I was 167 lbs (5'5.5") and I'm thrilled to announce that I finally reached 115 lbs, the number I've been fighting towards for a while :)

While I'm definitely pleased at the news, I still feel ... upset. I still don't like how my body looks. I still see all the problem areas. I have some loose skin from losing the weight too, and the skin creams I have tried over the months don't seem to have any effect.

For the past few months, I've been doing more weights and strength training than usual, in hopes that toning up would help. I really upped it in the last week, too. After an entire week of heavy weights, I weighed in again and saw that I was at 117 lbs :((( I know it can't be muscle, because no one gains 2 lbs worth in a week. It might be water retention from PMS or just a normal fluctuation; regardless, it was very discouraging.

I don't want to gain anymore weight. In fact, I want to get back down to 115 lbs, perhaps even lower. I know that muscle weighs more than fat, but I'm still on a deficit. I eat around 1,200 to 1,600 calories a day, and I don't typically eat back my exercising calories. I'm vegan, not just for weight loss reasons, but I try to get enough protein in my diet.

Also, one more thing: can someone with an apple-shaped build achieve a flat stomach? When I was overweight, I was a distinct apple, and now that I'm leaner, it's less noticeable. My legs have always been thin but my stomach has never ceased to leave me entirely, no matter what exercises I do :(

http://imgur.com/GE4aNtr <-- here's a picture of my stomach right now

In short, what can I do to continue to decrease body fat (especially in problem areas) even though I'm technically at my goal weight? Should I just stick to toning weights? Should I alter my calories in any way? All help is appreciated, thank you so much!

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    your weight fluctates on a daily basis and sometimes even hourly. why freak out over 2 pounds?

in any case, maybe look into something like strong lifts or strong curves and stop focusing on the scale weight and instead focus on how your body looks
  • penny0919
    penny0919 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Your stomach looks great.

Keep with the weight training. I would try to stay around 1600 calories, there is no need to eat just 1200 if you dont have to.
  • JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Definitely look into some more weight training if you're worried about how you look. And as the poster above said, don't worry about the scale. You'll probably gain some weight, but it will be healthy muscle mass if you're doing it right.
  • Rainboots80
    Rainboots80 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    You look pretty good. Have you tried some toning exercises? I think that is all you really need to do. Maybe try Pilates or yoga.
  • LiveLoveLift67
    LiveLoveLift67 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    While you may have lost weight and gotten to your goal weight that is only one part of the job. To see any difference in the shape and composition of your body you need to continue to lift the weights. You may gain a few pounds at first but i guarentee that your body will look tighter and smaller. Of course it will take time...weeks and months of consistency.

Muscle does not weigh more than fat it just takes up less space. Regardless of build i believe that anyone with the right diet and plan will get the results they hope to achieve through hard work and consistency. You wont be able to spot reduce fat from your abdomen...it will happen all over. Sometimes also the belly is bigger due to bloat. Being a vegan, some veggies and wheat products can make it bigger than it really is due to bloat.

Keep lifting your weights and have patience...believe me im sure you will be happy with how it makes your body look.
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Unless you ate 7000 calories over maintenance, the 2lbs is water weight :) pretty commonly happens when you increase exercise intensity! Your muscles are holding onto water to repair. I 'gained' 4lbs last week just from starting squats! I think you look great but I can see what you mean, if I were you I would just keep up the strength training and keep doing what you're doing (though I'd focus less on the scale now - and make sure you're eating enough to support the workouts). You're doing great and you got this!
  • angiez93
    angiez93 Posts: 63
    Options
    You look fantastic! Keep up with the weights - you WILL see results.
    When you're feeling discouraged, look at photos from before and realize how far you've come.
    You have lost quite a chunk of weight, you should be so proud! Best of luck
  • LexiMelo
    LexiMelo Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the previous posters. Continue to eat at maintenance, eat back your exercise calories, start a heavy lifting program (I am doing New Rules of Lifting for Women and love it) and seriously DON'T weigh yourself until you are at least six weeks into the program. You will notice that you look better at that point. Seriously, at this point the # of the scale is pretty much pointless and 1/2 lbs. is nothing. It's a hard mindset. I myself am gaining a few pounds but I look and feel great so I'm ok w/that.
  • penny0919
    penny0919 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love New Rules of Weightlifting for Women.

I am only on the first 6 weeks but each workout only takes me 20-25 minutes three times a week. I do cardio (walking, elliptical, etc) as well but I don't base my workouts around it like I used to.
  • FitnSassy
    FitnSassy Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could try working with a personal trainer for at least 30 days and see if you notice any changes. Don't focus so much on the number on the scale. Focus on strength and toning.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    You're right on the edge of being underweight BMI so it might be a good time to start eating at maintenance level and learning to like your body now.

We don't ever look like the women on tv and magazines. They don't even really look like that.

You look terrific. In 20 years you'll look back and think, "why didn't I appreciate how great I looked and how well my body worked instead of losing sleep over the gram of cellulite I had?"
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me.

I was 95kg of fat. Dropped to 67kg. Not happy at all. Started progressively increasing strength training (and did it consistently).

Now 83kg (16kg or about 35lbs increase) at 8% BF.

As a female, you won't build as much muscle but a slight increase in BW would be beneficial IMO.

This is me as skinny fat a few years ago now.

8389ba87a8dae265eec494b0e49b5a845657.jpg

And disregard the post above about "toning" exercises.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    If you've had a heavy week of lifting weights then the weight gain is proabably your muscles retaining water to help with repairing the muscles. Don't stress about it, it's likely to be temporary. I easily gain a kilo after a heavy lifting session. It goes away once my DOMS are gone
  • FitnSassy
    FitnSassy Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    And disregard the post above about "toning" exercises.

If you're talking about my post, I believe I said focus on strength and toning, as in the result from strength training. I said nothing about a toning exercise. Don't put words in my sentences. But if you weren't talking about my post, same thing...
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    Sorry I should have specified. The yoga and pilates one.
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Your weight is fine. You are at the lower end of what a small framed woman of your height should weigh.

http://www.lhj.com/health/fitness/ideal-weights-for-women/

Not satisfied with your body? It's time to exercise. Weight training. Maybe sign up for martial arts classes. This will turn the rest of the extra fat into muscle.

I also have extra weight on my stomach. Right now I'm slowly losing weight but when I get down to my goal I will focus more on training to build muscle.

You did not gain two pounds of muscle. It's water weight. In order to gain two pounds of anything you would need to eat 7000 calories over your TDEE.

I would advise you to eat at maintenance and when you exercise eat back about half of those exercise calories. Yes, there are people who have eaten back all of them and lost weight. But they're at a point where they can still eat slightly over their goal and still lose weight. When your weight is this low and you're trying to hit maintenance or even lose a pound or two, every bit counts. Most people tend to overestimate how much they burn during exercise and underestimate how much they eat, so eating back just half of those exercise calories will help make up for that difference. If you lose too much weight you can always increase your calories. But I think most people on here would be happier adjusting from losing too much than adjusting after gaining weight.
  • JassiBear
    JassiBear Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of scared that you are slipping into an unhealthy attitude toward weight, health, and food. Losing weight is not just about your appearance in the mirror......... its also about your overall health. How will losing more weight impact your health? It may be negative if you are underweight because that's not healthy either.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Everything I've read says you can't gain muscle if you are eating at a deficit. you're great now. stop dieting. eat at your daily needs and keep working out.

your gain is definitely water.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    You're right on the edge of being underweight BMI so it might be a good time to start eating at maintenance level and learning to like your body now.

We don't ever look like the women on tv and magazines. They don't even really look like that.

You look terrific. In 20 years you'll look back and think, "why didn't I appreciate how great I looked and how well my body worked instead of losing sleep over the gram of cellulite I had?"

^ this times infinity!
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    You look like a boy-ish body type to me, think of Cameron Diaz and some super models...which is my dream body type. Because you girls rock any outfit like skinny jeans, shorts, and boyfriend pants...

As much as I want to say you look fine but I think I understand how you feel about yourself...Outsiders really can't help much until someday you change your mindset. :)

You already got some sound advice so I don't want to repeat...

Be healthy, be happy and best of luck~