when is it ok to exercise?

Options
I just had a baby (natural not c-section) a little over 2 weeks ago, when is it ok to exercise? or should i wait until me 6 week check up and see what my dr. says? I feel really good now and feel like 4 more weeks of sitting around before exercising is a bit much but this is my first baby and i dont know if its more beneficial to wait! and also what kind of exercises will help tighten up my belly since it it kinda loose and mushy now?

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely talk to your doctor. If anything try and give him a call and see if you can exercise before the check up or see if your doctor thinks you should wait for the check up. That's probably your best bet.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I think it would be best to stick to very light exercise only, like walking, until you see your doctor.
  • Beckboo0912
    Beckboo0912 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Small leisure walks are ok but anything more you need to talk to your Dr
  • Kara52217
    Kara52217 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I wouldn't do any "major" exercise until after your 6 week Post Baby Checkup...
    But i was out walking like 3 days after mine just don't push yourself ... If you start to hurt walk home and rest. If you push yourself then you just take longer to heal.
  • StephanieOugh2014
    StephanieOugh2014 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You could probably do some light arm weight-training. I have been reading recently about post pardem woman using corset type things to help reshape the belly. I would have loved that idea back when I had my boys.
  • rileymama
    rileymama Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Like Kara said.....walking is fine, and light exercise as long as you are not straining anything. You do not want to do any sort of "tummy " things till after your appointment...I can not remember what it is called...but you can damage the muscles and they won't go back together (thus..you look pregnant forever..lol) Until the 6 week mark I usually do walking only, and after week 2 (until then I'm on vacation!) I start watching what I eat/drink (but not eating low amount calories...I need the calories to keep up my milk for baby)...