Cause for concern?

Options
I joined here about a month ago and I've been trying to walk everyday. I've been pushing myself to go farther and faster. Before today, my previous best was 2 mi at 21 min/mile. Today, I walked 3.2 mi at 19.45/mile. I was thrilled! I also felt like I could talk normally the whole walk, although when I got home I was beat red in the face and my dog acted like he might die (he's fine).

Anyway, about 2 miles in, my right foot went numb. It was like it had fallen asleep and I sort of had that pins and needles sensation. Eventually it went away, and I just kept walking without really slowing down. My husband thinks I'm trying to do too much too fast.

Does this happen to other people? Is something going wrong with me? TIA

Replies

• elizabethroyce10
    elizabethroyce10 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    hmmm id probably check with the Dr... better to be safe.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Hey, that just happened to me the other day! I thought my shoe was tied too tightly. My toes and half of my foot went numb, not sore, but just numb. It was so odd! It's only happened once to me though, I'm not sure if it'd be cause for concern.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    It happens to me all the time if I am standing or walking for too long but it's because I have POTS.
  • RunningOnWontons
    RunningOnWontons Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hmm, hard to say. Sounds like a circulation issue. Could your feet have swelled a bit during your walk, maybe causing your shoe to fit more tightly and be constrictive? (And I've heard the right foot tends to be slightly bigger than the left for a lot of people, so that makes me wonder if that's the cause for your tingling/numbness). I wear walking/jogging shoes that are one size bigger than my normal shoe size, for this reason.

Did the tingling go away when you got home and removed your shoes? If so, I'd probably not worry much about it. Unless, of course, you have a particular reason to be concerned about your circulation...for example, if you are diabetic...in that case, call your doc!

Edit: I just reread your post, and it sounds like the issue resolved itself on your walk. I really wouldn't worry too much about it, but perhaps you can use this issue as an excuse to go shopping for some new shoes. :)
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same issues before I got fitted for proper running shoes. Hopefully it's nothing too sinister.
  • moonbeams896
    moonbeams896 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I actually wear hiking sandals. I can't stand socks or sneakers, so I don't wear them. Yes, my foot feels fine now. I'm happy to hear I'm not the only one who gets a little numbness. I won't worry about it then. Thanks everyone!
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I occasionally get that feeling in my right foot when I run too long- no idea what the cause is medically but I've noticed it's specifically when the exercise has become really repetitive and I'm no longer focusing on having good form/pushing myself. Which isn't to say to stop doing it, or that you're not doing well, but maybe change your stride when you notice it happening, see if that changes anything?
  • tahm42
    tahm42 Posts: 4,814 Member
    Options
    When that happens to me, I loosen my shoes and the sensation goes away. Even my very healthy and active son has it happen when he starts out skating or running. I think our feet swell slightly and we try our shoes borderline tight anyway. It something to try before panicking yourself. If you are afraid it is something else maybe reign it back slightly. However the worst thing to do would be just quit all together.
  • FrankJ3rd
    FrankJ3rd Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    When you walk, farther is better, but faster will only become difficult. You'll get discouraged on what's called chronic cardio and give up. Injuries can also become a factor. Try longer/slower cardio with short sprints every week or 10 days. You can do short intense weight training a couple times a week if you want to challenge yourself.

Remember that 80% of your results will be diet related.
  • moonbeams896
    moonbeams896 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I know that the weight loss will mainly be diet-related. I've completely changed my eating habits. i dont' feel like I deprive myself and I'm quite happy with how things are going. I definitely don't plan on quitting anytime soon. I don't have a gym membership because I travel for work, and keep very odd hours. My next stint is coming up in July when i'll be gone the whole month. Planning on hitting the hotel gyms and looking forward to a change of pace from walking. But, right now, I'm really enjoying just walking. I plug in my earbuds and jam along to the music.