Cell Phones

Options
cheesevixen_staci
cheesevixen_staci Posts: 153 Member
Should 8 year olds be allowed cell phones (out of school).
My husband doesn't think so because he feels my son is too young.
I feel that because we are moving from the suburbs to the city (bigger and scarier) him having a phone and being able to contact us if he needs help is essential.
What do you all think?

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Should they be allowed? I think that is up to their parents.

My personal opinion on the matter: Cell phones and technology in general have become the norm in society. If their peers have them then I would think that it is perfectly acceptable, because to disallow it would put them at a social disadvantage.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Eh - I did not have a cellphone until I was 16. Also, why would your 8 year old ever be "out and about" in a city, in danger? 8 year olds should always be supervised by a responsible adult.
  • _Tink_
    _Tink_ Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Is he regularly going to be in situations where he is alone without an adult or someone responsible for him? If not, does he really need one for purposes of contacting you? Just my opinion. My nine year old doesn't need one. Hell, I went six years without one.
  • toneitup19
    toneitup19 Posts: 14
    Options
    8 is the new 16...apparently. those kids are sassy af.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    They make cell phones that only store 4 numbers...
    that would be o.k
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    My ex fiancé's daughter had one when she was eight, but she could only contact certain numbers like family members and emergency numbers. I cannot remember how that was set up, but I think that this type of phone is suitable for a child that age.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Is your 8 year old going to be wandering the streets of the beeeg scawy city all alone? How did, I dunno, every generation before the last two manage to survive in the beeg scawy city before the dawn of the cell phone age?
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel safer regarding your child then sure why not. Just get a cheap basic handset and stick a very small amount of credit on it. Failing that I'm sure you can buy handsets specifically for children where there are only a few numbers that they can access of them.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    We live in a sub-division and my daughter is 9, she wanted a cell phone because the other kids had them but we think she is too young. We compromised and got two way radios, we keep one and she keeps one. When she goes to a friends house she has to call us when she gets there and before she goes anywhere else. Good luck

pTRU1-13974207dt.jpg
  • MallieRose91
    MallieRose91 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Eh - I did not have a cellphone until I was 16. Also, why would your 8 year old ever be "out and about" in a city, in danger? 8 year olds should always be supervised by a responsible adult.

This!
  • cheesevixen_staci
    cheesevixen_staci Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    No, my son will not be "roaming the streets". We live in suburbia, and before that we lived in the country where it's perfectly normal to ride your bike around the block or walk to the neighborhood park as a child (note I didn't mention teenager). I don't why a parents first thought to this would be a situation where you abandon your child on the dark streets of fith ward, but oh well. I am a parent that likes to be prepared, and knows that the people around her are just as prepared in case of emergencies. My son having just as many tools to defend himself or alert others as me is important.

I think I will look into getting one of those basic emergency only phones most people on here are mentioning. He doesn't need text.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    We did the Wally talky, then switched to just a little track phone with only a few numbers allowed when the girls were around 8-9. Once they could walk to a friends house a few doors down and ride around the block we got them. Now at 14 and 11 they are both spoiled and have smart phones. The main reason for the smart phones though is our plan, we are paying the same either way so it was a better financial deal. I do like them having these and it is easy to reach them in a moments notice.

In the city, mine wouldn't be out as much at that young of an age, like they were but I would still do an emergency phone in the backpack for when away from me, they can reach me in an emergency, I can reach them and worst case if anything happened they could be tracked.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I think this is a case of people getting old.

"Well back in my day, we didn't even have television!"
  • arainiday1
    arainiday1 Posts: 1,763 Member
    Options
    eh, i didn't have a cell phone until i was 22...... but my oldest child got one at age 8 out of necessity... my mom was babysitting while i worked and she was having some financial trouble and her phone was disconnected while my kids were there and i panicked.... paid moms bill and got my daughter a cell phone.... its the world we live in now.
  • CaitySins
    CaitySins Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Personally I find it a shame to give a child a mobile so young, especially if it's one with access to the internet where they can see all the hateful, discriminatory, trolls online ready to slander anyone and everyone, such early access tends just seems to cement it for some that the likes of Facebook is a necessary part of your 5 a day. But if I had kids, I would feel the need to give them one, for safety reasons.

Additionally, as you've lived in the suburbs, coming from a person who actually grew up as a kid in a city, living in a particularly dangerous part of town for the earliest years of my life that I remember, I didn't get a mobile til I was around 11, at that it was a Nokia where I just played Snake. Didn't get an actual one that I used for texting I think til I was 13. I've been beat up and mugged on separate occasions. Whereas my cousins in London (considerably more dangerous than my city) have been mugged for their mobile phones, one of them doesn't even have bother replacing it anymore cause he's been mugged 3 times for them so he goes without. Depending on the actual crime rate of your city, giving your child a phone (and letting them out to the shop or something by themselves) where they'd fiddle with it could actually put them in danger from muggers.
  • Taiser
    Taiser Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My daughter got one at about 10. I found it handy to have just to stay in touch. She's 15 now and I still pay for her cell phone but the deal is that she has to keep a tracking app on so I know where she is. She's OK with that and I have fewer concerns with knowing where she's at! :)
  • arainiday1
    arainiday1 Posts: 1,763 Member
    Options
    Personally I find it a shame to give a child a mobile so young, especially if it's one with access to the internet where they can see all the hateful, discriminatory, trolls online ready to slander anyone and everyone, such early access tends just seems to cement it for some that the likes of Facebook is a necessary part of your 5 a day. But if I had kids, I would feel the need to give them one, for safety reasons.

it doesn't need to be a smart phone, just a basic kids phone is a good place to start.... no internet or texting
  • FitnSassy
    FitnSassy Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Fortunately, or unfortunately, however you choose to look at it, kids today are using iPads from birth. An eight year old doesn't want a phone just to use in case of emergency. He wants to mainly play games. I would check with the carrier to see what they recommend that's age appropriate.
  • melb_alex
    melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    Make sure you don't them a toy one.

my sis bought one for my nephew (just 1) and he chucked it because he knew it wasn't real and opted for my sis' Samsung lol