sun burnt and seeking advice! (slight self pity)

Options
fitgirlandfoodie
fitgirlandfoodie Posts: 1,014 Member
So summer has finally come to Ireland (for the next few days at least) and I took advantage of our camping trip to Connemara to spend a few hours on the beach yesterday.

Long story short, despite plenty of suncream I'm now insanely burned. So much so I was contemplating going to A&E last night due to low body temp (93 degrees despite the burn), intense shivering, rapid heartbeat and dehydration (I didn't in the end and battled it out with lots of water and a gel designed for burns and scalds - no sleep last night for me!)

This morning I had to take a day off work because I couldn't put on shoes or clothes (my feet are very swollen looking and burned all over)

What I need now is advice on how to ease the pain?

Lesson of the day: if your pale and Irish maybe avoid the midday sun -even if it is only available 5 days a year!

Replies

• kmkylemo
    kmkylemo Posts: 1,103
    Options
    Take a cool bath with baking soda that helped me when I got blistered a few summers ago. I couldn't put on clothes for a week though it was really rough.
  • fitgirlandfoodie
    Options
    Thanks dude, that's a great idea. Any movement is agony. Expensive lesson learned!
  • kmkylemo
    Options
    I know the feeling. I'm part irish so I have that same type of skin. I use like spf 110 now lol. I hope you get to feeling better just try to keep it uncovered as much as possible so it can get some air and heal faster.
  • fitgirlandfoodie
    Options
    I''ll definitely be investing in better sun cream from now on. No sun exposure is worth this.
  • kmkylemo
    Options
    No not at all. That was the worst pain I had ever been in. I'll use the cream and and spray together if I want to go out that bad.
  • nikki0753
    nikki0753 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I got really bad burnt a few years ago literally from head to toe. Worst places were my stomach and my feet.
    Sounds gross but a friend suggested i put yoghurt on them lol It was soooo soothing!
  • fitgirlandfoodie
    Options
    Maybe a silly question Nikki but do you rub the yoghurt in or just let it dry in? :-)
  • kmkylemo
    Options
    That actually makes a lot of sense. That would make it feel much better. My worst spot was the shoulders by far. Felt like knives stabbing into my shoulders
  • fitgirlandfoodie
    Options
    Ya, it's my feet, shoulders/back knees and lower stomach...and hands actually. Face isn't great either. I'm going to try the yoghurt and see..
  • arainiday1
    arainiday1 Posts: 1,763 Member
    Options
    not Irish here but Scandinavian.... super pale and my mom & her mom both have (had) auburn red hair..... so yeah i BURN.....and freckle...

I use kids sunscreen now... spf 50 or higher if i can find it. works great. if i do end up with a burn aloe lotion works great and also if it gets REALLY painful vinegar will work to take the sting away

http://www.besthealthmag.ca/sunburn

good luck!
  • nikki0753
    nikki0753 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    No don't rub in fully, just enough so it's not like dripping off of you lol
    Def give it a go! It doesn't feel nice to be honest but it's so cooling it's worth it.
  • ambamaden
    ambamaden Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Aloe Vera cooling gel. Works wonders!
  • kmkylemo
    Options
    If you have a portable fan I'd have that blowing on you too. The breeze will make it feel better
  • siport
    siport Posts: 7,429 Member
    Options
    Aloe Vera Gel that really helps
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Aloe Vera cooling gel. Works wonders!

Another vote for Aloe Vera gel!
  • fitgirlandfoodie
    Options
    Thanks for the link arainiday - some of those tips look very helpful. Haha ok, I won't rub in the yoghurt - the guy coming to fix my car is going to get a shock when he sees me :P
  • crazie4lulu
    crazie4lulu Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    aloe.... straight from the plant if you can.....
  • fitgirlandfoodie
    Options
    I'll send out for some aloe vera too...I have used it before on some minor sunburn and it did help.
  • kmkylemo
    Options
    I have a feeling he wont be complaining lol
  • surfin_bird1981
    Options
    Aloe vera gel :flowerforyou: