How do I cook mushrooms ?

Options
flow2512
flow2512 Posts: 74 Member
I fancy some mushrooms with my fish for tea tonight, but I don't want to dry fry them, any idea's please?
I am allergic to garlic, so that is out of the question.

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Cook them in butter - with a bit of salt and pepper thrown into the pot!!!! :smile:
  • Sadedoes
    Sadedoes Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Roasted in the oven, with some olive oil, rosemary, thyme, sage, salt & pepper.

Or if it goes with your meal: mix some soy sauce, olive oil and honey / agave syrup, marinate the mushrooms for a bit then either cook on the stove with the marinade or roast in the oven.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    probably the best way is to open the package and throw them into the garbage....vile fungus
  • eyley
    eyley Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Roasted in the oven, with some olive oil, rosemary, thyme, sage, salt & pepper.

Agreed!

Nom!!!
  • Stopin_da_yoyo
    Stopin_da_yoyo Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Depends on your taste. Mushrooms hold alot of water so when you sautee them the will lose some weight.

Butter always helps but then again you have to factor the calorjes in you intake too. I think 1tablespoon is approx 70 calories.

Ive always like mushroom and sliced yellow onion may a couple pieces fresno to spice it up a bit or you could skip that.

If you dont care for that I gues you could quick blanch them in some sort of hot stock or water but unless your going to incorpoate them into something like a stir fry with a sauce...blanched mushrooms dont really have much flavor.

Baking is another route...ive never really tried this myself.

If you choose sautee...get pan hot...very little oil...if using onions they go in first so u can carmelize them a little ...then put mushrooms in...mushrooms cook quick...probably less than 2 min depends on how well you like them.

Whatever the case unless you like only mushroom flavor...I would definitely use a dash s & p...personally im a fan on fresh ground pepper medley rather than straight uo black pepper.
  • tristan299
    tristan299 Posts: 2,537 Member
    Options
    Slice them thinnly and chuck them in an omlette
  • swilkinson0705
    swilkinson0705 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Cook them in butter - with a bit of salt and pepper thrown into the pot!!!! :smile:
    That's what I'm talking about!
  • kaylee1026
    kaylee1026 Posts: 19
    Options
    I sautee them in a little olive oil with cajun seasoning. I usually cook them with sliced zucchini. I also put them in omelettes. Very yummy!
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    probably the best way is to open the package and throw them into the garbage....vile fungus
    Never!!!!!!!! :devil:
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    are you allergic to shallots as well? If not then in a pan with shallots and dust with parmesan cheese. Or stuff them <3
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Roast them or saute them in a little oil or butter.

ETA: depending on what type of fish, you might also make a mushroom white wine sauce to smother the fish. (saute the mushrooms in olive oil or butter (or a mix of both), add a little flour, cook for a few minutes, then add crisp white wine and cook until thickened. This is excellent over white fish, chicken, rice or spaghetti squash.
  • WadeLam
    WadeLam Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    are you allergic to shallots as well? If not then in a pan with shallots and dust with parmesan cheese. Or stuff them <3

^^ This ^^ :)
  • pope66682
    pope66682 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    In some gravy
  • charlottedutton
    Options
    creamy mushroom "pasta"
    peel courguette (zucchini) into ribbons or julien peeler for 'spaghetti', slice mushrooms, dry fry or use one cal spray, add dried mixed herbs, garlic, low fat cream cheese and salt n pepper. done.
  • charlottedutton
    Options
    oh... or onion,chives or spring onion if u cant have garlic :)
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    If they are good size put them on the BBQ stuffed with whatever you like. If they aren't that big, use a grill basket on the BBQ. Other than slicing thinly and frying a few at a time so they actually brown & don't stew in their juices.
  • cpettigrew
    cpettigrew Posts: 168 Member
    Options

THIS