I can't believe it!

Options
I cannot believe my 'healthy' salad has as many cals as it does!!!

Okay I'm stuffed but it was salad. :(

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • hugh_rynal
    hugh_rynal Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    This used to shock me too.....but I think it might have been the doner kebab meat, the garlic sauce, and the portion of chips that came with the salad :-)
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Mine was with grilled turkey.

I think the coleslaw and avocado are the main sauce of the cals. Just annoying really. :(
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    what's "healthy"? My salads are pretty low-cal, 200-300 calories. Gotta watch that dressing and toppings !
  • raisealittlehell
    raisealittlehell Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Define "healthy" if it contained any of the following: dressing, cheese, croutons, bacon- those are all high calorie items. If you like the salad then get the dressing on the side, or go for a lighter dressing options if they have it. Cut out the cheese, croutons, etc.

However, if it fits into your calories for the day, then don't worry about it. Just know that salad are healthy when they don't have the extra stuff on them, but the more things that are added to it, the more calorie laden they become.
  • hugh_rynal
    hugh_rynal Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    you are still comfortably within your totals for the day......so thats fantastic !!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

i would suggest getting some food scales to weigh everything. 0.13 of an onion and 1/4 of a medium avocado could be WAY off.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    The thing is defining what is healthy. Just because something is high in calories does not mean it's unhealthy or healthy. The same way just because something is a 'Salad' doesn't mean it's healthy. It's all about balance.
  • aneary1980
    Options
    Just to be clear I do not have dressing on my salad the problem is the coleslaw and avocado they are the only high cal things within my salad, I'll probably have to ditch the coleslaw next time. :(
  • aneary1980
    Options

i would suggest getting some food scales to weigh everything. 0.13 of an onion and 1/4 of a medium avocado could be WAY off.

Okay the onion is right I used the same onion to make other things yesterday and I know that it was a quarter of a medium avocado which I brought from tesco.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Okay the onion is right I used the same onion to make other things yesterday and I know that it was a quarter of a medium avocado which I brought from tesco.

your medium avocado could be a totally different size than the person who entered that into the database.

weigh your solids...
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    I always get my salads with the dressing on he side so I can control that calories a bit more.
  • my2kin04
    my2kin04 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    trying to eat a salad with lunch and dinner ..i've always had a pretty crappy diet.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh produce. My 1/4 avocado might be bigger or it might be smaller. It's all an estimate. As long as sometimes you're over and some under, it's good enough for me. The 2-3 avocados I eat a month aren't going to make or break my diet.

You guys really weigh ONION? 1/10 of an onion is like 6 calories. I probably wouldn't even log it.
  • aneary1980
    Options
    I don't weigh produce. My 1/4 avocado might be bigger or it might be smaller. It's all an estimate. As long as sometimes you're over and some under, it's good enough for me. The 2-3 avocados I eat a month aren't going to make or break my diet.

You guys really weigh ONION? 1/10 of an onion is like 6 calories. I probably wouldn't even log it.

thank you!!

I have onion on there as I included it in another receipe that made yesterday.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

I do! I weigh everything. I'm trying to train myself to be accurate in my estimations in the future. I know it seems silly, but if you don't log little things for every meal, can't they add up over the course of a week? That was my justification anyhow - I'm a type A so I'd probably do it no matter what :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

yup but those of us who choose to weigh our food do so for accuracy so we don't have to come to the forums and ask why we aren't losing weight to be told that we are probably eating more than we thing due to inaccurate logging.

Produce could mean fruit too...you would be surprised at the differences...but if it's good enough for you great...
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    People always under estimate the calories in a salad, because its SALAD. Not the case. It all adds up!
  • aneary1980
    Options

yup but those of us who choose to weigh our food do so for accuracy so we don't have to come to the forums and ask why we aren't losing weight to be told that we are probably eating more than we thing due to inaccurate logging.

Produce could mean fruit too...you would be surprised at the differences...but if it's good enough for you great...

I wasn't asking why I wasn't losing weight I was just shocked at the amount of cals!

Then I have people jumping in saying weigh it ie demanding me to weigh it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Then I have people jumping in saying weigh it ie demanding me to weigh it.

making a suggestion is hardly 'demanding'. i was actually just trying to be helpful...