Cheat Days?

Options
Does anyone take cheat days to trick your body to think its not on a diet?
i heard this is a good thing to do?

Replies

• Christie23
    Christie23 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I think it is a good thing to do. Keeps your metabolism on it's toes. But I would be careful with the term "cheat DAY". I like to pick one day a week where I let myself have something I'm really craving, no matter how bad. BUT, I still log it... and I pay close attention to being full. So, if I decide I want pizza, then I choose it for my weekly cheat and I have a slice of it. Fill up with a salad. But I get the pizza with bacon, pepperoni, the WORKS! lol... I think this helps keep you happy and it keeps your body revving up the calorie burning.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I don't do it to trick my body, I do it to give myself a break and enjoy some foods I don't normally eat during the rest of the week.
  • sabell82
    Options
    Does anyone take cheat days to trick your body to think its not on a diet?
    i heard this is a good thing to do?

Personally I don't like cheat days because then I expect to eat bad on day per week. I would rather eat well as much as possible and then when I really have a craving, eat it. I've never really bought into the idea that your body needs to be "tricked" , as long as you eat enough to not go into starvation mode, you shouldn't need this.
  • joyfulmommaof2
    joyfulmommaof2 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I try... but then I go overboard. But if I could I definitely would! :D
  • danyelpink
    danyelpink Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should schedule a cheat day... but allow yourself something totally delicious every 10 days or so, just to reward yourself & keep yourself motivated. :)
  • merlwynn
    Options
    I find that if you fight your sweettooth then when you slip up its really bad, so just give in alittle before and it cant hurt to bad
  • cakeordeath
    cakeordeath Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    i do it every once and a while, but in moderation. i have heard if you deny yourself things you really enjoy eating for a while that you might find yourself gorging on them when you get the chance. plus i dont do well when i feel i am missing out on good food.
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I do- I don't call it cheating though. I just eat a little more on the weekends. I've been using MFP since last February when I started my weight loss journey. I don't think I would have stuck with it if I stayed so rigid every single day. My choices at restaurants are better for the most part- more salads, less fried, ect. (Buffalo Wild Wings always gets me though) I would say you have to live and eat the things you enjoy once in a while within reason.
  • NikkiJ17
    NikkiJ17 Posts: 295
    Options
    I don't do it to trick my body but I allow myself a "free" day on Sundays only because Sundays are always busy in the morning & evening and relaxing in the afternoon (does that make sense?) So while I don't go hog wild and I still log my food, I usually have something(s) that I don't eat Monday - Saturday and I am normally over on calories, sometimes a little, every once and while, a lot. When it all comes down to it what works for someone else may not work for you. You have to do what works for your life and your body!!
  • Turbo_Addict
    Options
    Yes cheat days are good to have BUT only once a week! You dont want go overboard, so on a free day eat helathy for all you meals except one that way your not over doing. and if you want you can throw 1 soda in there with like ur fave small bag of chips or something. just be careful...they say it is a good thing to do because you arnt depriving yourself of foods that you still love. hope this gave u an idea =)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to get in the habit of not cheating at all so I can teach myself to live a healthier lifestyle in general. I've had a few slipups, but I am just taking it one day at a time and sticking to my daily goals of staying within my limits on the diet and trying to get in more-than-usual activity. Small goals, baby steps.
  • AngChambers06
    AngChambers06 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    lol my "cheat day" is the day I accidently go over on my calories... this week was when I ate out and I went over.

I just figure I cant be perfect ALL the time but I dont want to screw up what I have going
  • humpalc
    humpalc Posts: 140
    Options
    I don't do cheat days, but figure in treats now and then so I don't feel deprived. Had cook&serve pudding (still warm mmmmm) last night, 1 serving,not the whole pkg LOL. The idea of a cheat day doesn't work well for me, it's too easy for me to go overboard
  • ababygrace
    Options
    So far, I just allow myself a cheat meal once maybe twice a week but no more. Once I get closer to my goal, then I will allow a cheat day without going crazy but the cheat meal helps me stay in check.
  • Ellajne
    Options
    When I'm really into a diet I allow cheat meals sometimes just to give myself something to look forward to as a reward for staying on the diet. Weight Watchers allows 35 extra points a week just for those cheat moments. If you don't cheat once in awhile you will go nuts on your strict diet. I always treated myself to my favorite frozen pizza or a cheeseburger. MMMM....
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I do a free day on Fridays. I eat a healthy breakfast, do a hard workout, and then don't worry about what I'm eating for the rest of the day. Gives me a change to relax and eat the things I may have been obsessing about. Also gives me a break from counting and tracking - sometimes makes me feel "normal" because I know, personally, I will have to count calories the rest of my life unlike a lot people who can eat whatever and never gain.

Some people would disagree with this but in the long run, I found I don't eat nearly as much as I used to on my free days and there's a lot things like pasta that I just can't tolerate anymore anyway. The strategy has worked for me - down to 182.
  • jessmo803
    Options
    My boyfriend and I both have cheat days, but not once a week. Like, last week, we had a date night. So we went out to dinner (hibachi) and to the movies, Movie popcorn! I still logged that day and only went over about 400 calories. He didn't go over at all. But two days later, on my weigh in, I was down! I usually just have something I want for a special occassion, not once a week, because I have hardly any willpower and I'm afraid I won't go back. Over the holidays, I told my MFP friends that I wasn't jumping ship, and I logged as much as I could, but I wasn't being hardcore about watching. Good luck!!!

Jess
  • dmags
    dmags Posts: 303
    Options
    I make it a cheat meal. I find it difficult to do a whole day and stay motivated the following day. The other positive thing about doing it, is that it teaches you how to handle a little freedom. When you have an event or plans to go out to eat, you won't panic. You know that you can enjoy yourself and remain on track.
  • kabullard
    Options
    My husband and I have decided to go climbing every weekend. We burn 3 times more calories than we do with our normal walking that we do 3 times a week. So we've decided that Saturday is going to be our day to "cheat" so to speak. For instance, during the week we normally have chicken and veggies for dinner. This past Saturday we went to Applebees. I had a steak, potatoes, and broccoli. Then we went to Jamba Juice and got a fruit smoothie! On a regular weekday, I wouldn't have enough calories to do that!

Because I burned 3 times more by climbing, I had more calories and was still under my calorie goal afterwards!
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    This is always a hot topic and everyone needs to do what is best for them.

For ME, I take one or two free meals each week (I prefer the term 'free meal' as opposed to 'cheat meal' because of the context. I consider free meals necessary and not 'bad'. 'Cheating' is bad). I usually plan them around a scheduled social function (friends want to try a new restaurant, it's my anniversary, it's my birthday, my husband's birthday...). Some weeks there's no reason for me to take a free meal so I don't take one. Again, this is just how I chose to incorporate the free meal.

The day of the free meal I eat and work out as I do any other day. I even spoil my appetite right before the free meal since this isn't an eating contest and I don't want to binge or over eat.

During the meal, I arm myself with a few other physical aids (a tight belt, a pair of skinny jeans, a corset) and my goal is to stay comfortable in these garments.

I then eat what appeals to me most. Bread basket? No thanks. Steak? Yes, please. Decadent dessert, any one? You betcha.

When the meal is over, I drink lots of water and we're back to business as usual the next day.

Also, I weigh in the morning of a free meal and not again for five days or so. Free meals have kept my weight loss moving because I don't feel deprived AND because I'm shocking my body.

Again, this is just what I do and everyone needs to make their own decision.

Charmagne