binged.... ON QUEST BARS??

Options

Replies

• danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I do have binging problem though... let's say i had 5 bars left or maybe 9 or something, i'd eat them all right there earlier if could. i probably won't be buying more for a a while, i just have a hard time limiting myself i guess....
    And that's an entirely different issue. If quest bars trigger a REAL binge, then I'd suggest not buying them til you figure that part out.

Yes. This.
  • dsalveson
    dsalveson Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Oh god. so I bought Quest bars yesterday. (four: 2 CNC, WCR, and CCCD)

I ate one after a long jog/run/walk yesterday, so good microwaved!!

I've been 'eating right' since Tuesday. Then last night i ate another quest bar (remember i had one earlier in the day)

THEN today I started of good, one egg on wheat english muffin. then i ate a healthy choice frozen lemom pepper fish apple dessert (calorie info:http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/healthy-choice-lemon-pepper-fish-rice-pilaf-broccoli-caramel-apple-dessert-115036101) THEN I ate two quest bars. I WASTED MY QUEST BARS AND I HATE MYSELF FOR IT AHHHH

but how bad of a binge do you thing this is?

I dont care if its a health food or not, COWS binge on GRASS allllllllllll day and look how fat they are. Anything can make you fat in the right amount. Even quest bars. Slow down, breathe, and think about the good you'll be doing yourself by not binging in the long run. Its so tough, everyone does it, and its certainly better than binging on krispy kream donuts, but that doesnt make it healthy or right. Don't beat yourself up about it, just do better next time.

1322.gif
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I do have binging problem though... let's say i had 5 bars left or maybe 9 or something, i'd eat them all right there earlier if could. i probably won't be buying more for a a while, i just have a hard time limiting myself i guess....

Just out of interest Lora, what is your calorie goal set at?
  • Evan808
    Evan808 Posts: 12
    Options
    As long as it fits your macros it is PERFECTLY FINE :D
  • xDawnsgrace
    xDawnsgrace Posts: 436
    Options
    okay friend, two quest bars are not a binge. a binge is categorized as:
    -Eating unusually large amounts of food
    -Eating even when you're full or not hungry
    -Eating rapidly during binge episodes
    -Eating until you're uncomfortably full

It takes a while to get used to not just eating everything you want because you can, okay? it took me a couple months to realize "hey, i'm trying to be healthier. i can't go and eat nutella right out of the jar if i want to reach my goals", so don't expect yourself to be perfect at it in a week.

Breathe. Relax. Know you're unhappy with this, but don't let it upset you. It's one day. You didn't gain all the weight you want to lose in one day, and you won't gain or lose tremendously in one day, either.

Also, i'm a little bit concerned that you may be undereating.. please be sure to never net under 1200 calories. I don't know how tall you are, or how much you weigh, but generally nobody should be eating under 1200 calories daily, unless directed and supervised by a qualified nutritionist/dietitian or doctor. And also please, please, if you have the mentality that eating less is better for weight loss, it really isn't. I wish i had someone to tell me that when i first started losing weight. Please, follow MFP's general guidelines for your weight and height.

If you ever need to chat, need advice, or want to know the effects of undereating on your body(i can tell you from personal experiences if you don't want to google them), send me a friend request and message me.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    You've eaten four quest bars and you think that's a binge???

Really?

How many calories are in one bar?

Doesn't sound like a binge to me
  • TeresaB1979
    TeresaB1979 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    When I read this I wondered what a Quest bar was. I also wondered how many thousand calories were in them. I looked them up on here and found they have two hundred calories or less.

Say whuuut?! :noway:
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Oh dear. Eating two of anything isn't really a BINGE is it? Come on now, what a ridiculous statement
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    OP you're likely still at a deficit. MFP's standard deficit is 500 calories per day (if you chose that you want to lose 1 lb per week). If you eat 2 extra quest bars you're still under your maintenance calories. So relax.

But also, there are many people who have real binge eating disorder. It de-legitimizes their experience to call 2 quest bars a binge. It's the same as when people run around calling everyone that disagrees with them a bully. If Quest bars do lead to binging then don't buy them, but what you described does not sound like binging.
  • soupandcookies
    soupandcookies Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Like many of the previous posters, I don't think this was a binge. I think you overate.

However...

Protein bars are a binge food, for me (I struggle with binge eating disorder, but I'm working on recovering from it). Luna Bars, Lara Bars, Zone Bars, Clif Bars, Quest Bars - you name it - If I have them in the house, I'll eat them all, one after another, until they're gone. They may have some nutrition in them, but my head thinks they are candy bars, and I can't seem to stop at just one.

Quest bars have sugar alcohols in them, too, which really bug my stomach, so if I eat more than one, I'm hurting.

I definitely empathize with you, but encourage you to move forward, and not think of this as any kind of major bump in the road.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Oh dear. Eating two of anything isn't really a BINGE is it? Come on now, what a ridiculous statement

2 pizzas?

2 bags of chips?

2 bags of carrots(bag is 50 pounds)?

2 porterhouse steaks?

2 boxes of (pick) a cereal?

2 rabbits?

2 deer?

2 cases of iceberg lettuce?

2 cases of beer?

2 birthday cakes?

Seriously, someone defined a binge above; probably a good place to start for the OP who is obviously very distraught over this tragic event.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    That is binging.. eating something like that, in a row after eating a meal is kinda binging methinks.

Not necessarily. What is your calorie goal? If you have it set too low, perhaps you were still hungry. Two Quest bars is not a lot of food.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    DouSXHi.gif
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    OKAY MAYBE IM OVERREACTING I DONT KNOW. but at least empathize, im sure plenty of people on here who are just starting (including some of you on this thread) would beat themselves over a lot of things

I've eaten an entire box of Cheez Its once. I can't empathize with two Quest bars, sorry lol

Okay, i JUST started this diet. you even a box of cheez its? i've eaten so much more junk in one sitting. an entire bag of hot cheeto puffs, pack of mint oreos, so much processed food and desserts. ive basically been eating terrible all my life. i dont know how 'eating right really works, okay? so instead of making fun of me for worrying over this just tell me what you think in a more understanding matter rather than being such a smart alec.

That's what I thought, when I read your first post. That you're new here, and that you don't know how 'eating right really works.' And, as another poster has said, you need to 'lighten up.' There's probably a term for this 'noobie syndrome...' where you jump in with both feet, and then, find that you don't have a solid plan, that you can stick to.

Here's two links, that should give you tons of help.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here

And, you should open your diary. Experienced MFP's will look at what you are logging, and give you valuable advice on your calorie intake, your macros, and what you are eating.

As for binging.... 2 Quest bars isn't a binge. But, as others have said, if you feel that you are going to have issues limiting your intake of Quest bars, it might be best to avoid them for awhile. There are thousands of threads about binging, you can just use the search for them. Many of us have issues with portion control, that's why we're here.... and 'trigger foods' that set us off. The #1 answer you're going to get, is to learn moderation. #2 is probably to avoid the foods that trigger binges. #1 will argue back that you can't avoid ALL your trigger foods forever, if say..... sweets trigger binges. So, you see.... the whole binging subject, seems to have no definitive answer. You're going to have to find what works for you.
  • Jlmervin03
    Jlmervin03 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I've never tried Quest Bars, but people up here swear by them. I am gonna buy a few today. Any suggestions on flavors?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

but how bad of a binge do you thing this is?

where was the binge?
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I've never tried Quest Bars, but people up here swear by them. I am gonna buy a few today. Any suggestions on flavors?

Chocolate Chip Cookie, Chocolate Brownie and White Chocolate and Raspberry are my favourites!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I like the cookie dough and the cookies and cream. The brownie is okay. The rest are :sick:
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

I like the cookie dough and the cookies and cream. The brownie is okay.

Pretty much ^^^ This ^^^ The brownie is better than OK, though. :wink: But, those are the 3 I'd start with.
  • Jlmervin03
    Jlmervin03 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Thanks! On my way to the store now!