Martial Arts

Options
I'm interested in taking classes to help focus, strength and general well being. There are so many different types of classes out there - any recommendations?

Replies

• Jkj95
    Jkj95 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I took a karate class at my college that was very nice. If you live near a university, maybe look into what they have to offer? I know at mine they have several classes that are open to the public to join for a fee.
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I teach Tang Soo Do and Hapkido. I think the first thing you have to decide is if you want something that is a soft art- tai Chi would be the example that everyone knows, these arts depend more on the smallest expending of energy to stop the attacker, very position based- or a so-called "hard art" which tend to use more force to stop an attacker. Both can give you a great workout, but, in my experience, you will end up sweating more in the hard arts and burning more calories. However, I found more focus and balance when I practiced the softer arts.

There are also kickboxing / kickboxing type classes in most martial arts studios these days; those can be a good mixture of calorie burn, technique learning, and even some resistance training.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I teach Tang Soo Do and Hapkido. I think the first thing you have to decide is if you want something that is a soft art- tai Chi would be the example that everyone knows, these arts depend more on the smallest expending of energy to stop the attacker, very position based- or a so-called "hard art" which tend to use more force to stop an attacker. Both can give you a great workout, but, in my experience, you will end up sweating more in the hard arts and burning more calories. However, I found more focus and balance when I practiced the softer arts.

There are also kickboxing / kickboxing type classes in most martial arts studios these days; those can be a good mixture of calorie burn, technique learning, and even some resistance training.

Thanks for this info - I think I'm leaning more towards the softer approach. I'm not worried about calories so much as focus and balance. At least to start.
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I have studied a few different martial arts, they all have their good and bad. It really all depends on what your goals are. You have styles that focus a lot of forms, Kata's, hand to hand stuff, no much conditioning or resistance. Some styles are heavy cardio/conditioning, some are aggressive, so are more laid back. Also, depending on the teacher and teaching styles, 2 same styles can be taught completely different.

Most schools offers free trials, always good to try some different ones out and see what you enjoy. The class environment, the teacher, the interactions with other students, will all be different.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    I have studied a few different martial arts, they all have their good and bad. It really all depends on what your goals are. You have styles that focus a lot of forms, Kata's, hand to hand stuff, no much conditioning or resistance. Some styles are heavy cardio/conditioning, some are aggressive, so are more laid back. Also, depending on the teacher and teaching styles, 2 same styles can be taught completely different.

Most schools offers free trials, always good to try some different ones out and see what you enjoy. The class environment, the teacher, the interactions with other students, will all be different.

A free trial sounds perfect! I'll start researching places tomorrow. Thanks a lot :)
  • loriemn
    loriemn Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I do Tae Kwon Do..LOVE IT!!! its not just about kicking,its also about balance,cordenation and self control mentally and physically.
    a good gym is like an extended family,one you actually want to visit!
  • Marguarretthe
    Marguarretthe Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I did Taekwon do for years, and a little bit of judo on the side... I have to say that the most important thing that you need to look for in a martial arts club (ANY of them), is the atmosphere and if their teaching style suits you.
    One club I was in was very family oriented, the other had just recruited a pile of people cross training for MMA (which quickly dropped the family friendly atmosphere at that particular club).
    Some clubs are very competitive, others more supportive and others yet will be suited only for those who have trained for some time.
    Most clubs DO offer a few free classes to try it out... and figure out what suits you the best.
    Good luck! and have fun!
    Marg
  • patsully98
    patsully98 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I think for your goals, many martial arts will fit the bill. I train Brazilian jiu jitsu, and one of the hallmarks of BJJ, as well as arts like judo, muay Thai kickboxing and Western boxing and wrestling, is live sparring. Not only is sparring the best (perhaps only) way to get good at actually fighting, it's absolutely exhausting so you get in really good shape. Don't let that put you off BJJ, though; one of my training partners is 70 and has a brain tumor, and he is a purple belt, which means he has some pretty serious skills. If Barry can do it, anybody can do it. It's truly life-changing and is the best thing I've ever done for myself. Good luck!
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I do Tae Kwon Do..LOVE IT!!! its not just about kicking,

...be prepared to do lots of kicking...
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I've always done TaeKwonDo but it really wouldn't fall into the more spiritual / focus side of the equation. If I wanted something that was more of a spiritual sort of one with the universe sort of thing I would probably look at Aikido. I think for women in particular it's pretty empowering because it focus on continuity of movement rather than strength.

Hapkido would probably fall into that bucket too but I've never had a hapkido studio near me that wasn't mostly just a TKD place with a few hapkido techniques thrown in.
  • JenCHG
    JenCHG Posts: 74
    Options
    I do Les Mills Combat some and Love it!:smile:
  • JenCHG
    JenCHG Posts: 74
    Options
    [:drinker: Awesome I do Mixed Martial Arts
    I do Tae Kwon Do..LOVE IT!!! its not just about kicking,its also about balance,cordenation and self control mentally and physically.
    a good gym is like an extended family,one you actually want to visit!
    [/quote]
  • thepezzle
    thepezzle Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    BJJ for life.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    The dance studio my girls and I go to offers Mixed Martial Arts - I wasn't sure what that entailed. There's a Jiu Jitsu place right next door, too. I'll be popping into both tonight.

I want to learn how to defend myself, work on my focus, strength, self control, balance and inner.........I can't think of a word here - peace maybe? I really enjoy meditation and if I can combine that with movement (sort like yoga), that would be awesome.

I don't necessarily want to be a powerhouse, but I won't say no to that, either ;)

Thanks for all the input!
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    Krav Maga

EDIT: if your looking for the spiritual, meditiation stuff... you wont find much of it here. its more like a mixed martial arts class, just what works. but they do weapon disarms and other stuff that might be more applicable in the real world
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    I want to learn how to defend myself, work on my focus, strength, self control, balance and inner.........I can't think of a word here - peace maybe? I really enjoy meditation and if I can combine that with movement (sort like yoga), that would be awesome.

if you take out the defend yourself part, what your really looking for is tai chi
  • patsully98
    patsully98 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    The dance studio my girls and I go to offers Mixed Martial Arts - I wasn't sure what that entailed. There's a Jiu Jitsu place right next door, too. I'll be popping into both tonight.

I don't necessarily want to be a powerhouse, but I won't say no to that, either ;)

If the jiu jitsu place has a website, I'd be happy to take a look and give you my impressions on whether it looks like a legit place to train.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

If the jiu jitsu place has a website, I'd be happy to take a look and give you my impressions on whether it looks like a legit place to train.

I will get it and post here - I appreciate the feedback!
  • loriemn
    loriemn Posts: 292 Member
    Options

thats the best part!!! who doesnt love kicking the crap out of people and its a good thing!
  • Marguarretthe
    Marguarretthe Posts: 14 Member
    Options

thats the best part!!! who doesnt love kicking the crap out of people and its a good thing!

When I was a green belt in TKD, one of the men in my class and I were both going through bad breakups (not with each other), and we just beat the crap out of each other (I will state - completely consensual! We never pounded anyone else like that) with full gear on. My side turning kick and back kick are AWESOME because of that. Loved it!!