How to keep motivated?

Options
Maybe it's just me being impatient, but with the results of my exercise and healthier eating being minimal it's very hard to keep motivated to continue trying to lose weight.

What are you best techniques for staying motivated?

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Look at myself in the mirror naked and say "would I do me?"
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Honestly, my desire to not be fat kept me motivated to lose and keeps me motivated as I maintain. When I would feel like slacking I would think to myself "Do you want to be overweight?" the answer was always no.
  • Sage812
    Sage812 Posts: 10
    Options
    I'm only looking to lose 5-8 pounds, but what keeps me motivated is I've made this my "lifestyle" not just a temporary fix to go off of once I lose the weight. I eat nutritious foods I like, but also enjoy treats in moderation once in a while and I found a exercise schedule that is realistic and workable for me. The only difference is when I go to maintenance I will be able to eat larger portions.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    funny you should ask as I just posted this on my wall:

Motivation to continue working towards your goal of better health comes in two forms...first, from knowing your deep down in the gut reasons for pursuing a healthier life...and second from seeing progress. Progress is measured in many ways beyond a number on the scale. Can you play with your kids longer without getting winded? Can you bend over and pick something up without pain? Have your triglyceride, cholesterol and blood pressure readings dropped? Can you wear smaller clothes? One of the things I found out that I could do is jump up to the beam in the park shelter, pull my legs up to 90 degrees, and hold (see pic). I also learned that I could do a jumping kick off a picnic table :) I bet I will be able to jump even higher later this year. Can't wait to find out. Friends...embrace those things you can do now that you couldn't do when you started...and feel the motivation to do more. Stay Fierce my Friends!

I will also add....

This thing takes time and it will be a lot easier if you accept that it takes time and know that you are making progress by making healthy decisions consistently. An analogy....as you remove sheets from a roll of paper towels, you don't often notice a difference at the beginning. But, over time, as you remove half of the roll of paper towels, you notice a difference. As you remove more paper towels, you notice more of a difference. Give this time. You didn't gain the weight in a week, month or year. My experience is that IF you make consistent healthy decisions, you will lose the weight faster than you gained it. No, you will not lose it as fast as you want to lose it, but when you lose the weight you will think "that wasn't so bad".
  • CompressedCarbon
    CompressedCarbon Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I moved from looking for motivation (which is based in emotion) and started building habits (based in behavior). I often don't feel like working out but my car automatically drives to the gym from work before turning towards home. Once I'm in the doors, the biggest share of the battle is over.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Looking in the mirror, the way my clothes fit, trying on new clothes, this hot *kitten* weather and wanted to be comfortable with not much on!!
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Progress is progress no matter how small. I think motivaton gets thrown around alot here. If you have to want it and you have to push yourself. I always tell myself that nobody can do this for me and I remind myself how bad I felt 30lbs ago.

I think setting up habits are easier because you stick to them. Good luck and remember that you can do this!
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    set mini goals so you have something in the more near future you can celebrate reaching, its makes all the difference!
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Rub your sixpack like it's the Buddha belly every-time your tempted to eat crap.
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I signed up for a local powerlifting meet at the weight class I want to be at. Signing up for some event that you have to be in better shape for (5K, mud run, whatever) is something a lot of people have done if they start losing focus.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I moved from looking for motivation (which is based in emotion) and started building habits (based in behavior). I often don't feel like working out but my car automatically drives to the gym from work before turning towards home. Once I'm in the doors, the biggest share of the battle is over.

YES! This, all the way and back again.
  • MrTolerable
    Options
    On a for realz -

Set a date you want to look at your ideal point over the next 3 months - keep it realistic in your expectations.

When you have a date - you have a deadline - with a deadline there is pressure to reach your goalz - and if your a man then you will reach your goalz or at least get a great deal closer then not doing anything at all.
  • MrTolerable
    Options
    Look at myself in the mirror naked and say "would I do me?"

---but for realz---

^good recommendation as well.
  • sc003ro
    sc003ro Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I just watched a You tube video on this by Eric Thomas.....his message was look ahead 24 hours and that is it....it can get too overwhelming if you dont....24 hours and stay the course
  • BrakemanSlova
    BrakemanSlova Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Good response. I agree that habits get you to the point where you don't have to rely on willpower.
  • BrakemanSlova
    BrakemanSlova Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    That last was @ callmecupcake's post.
    Also, for fast results, I highly recommend going on the paleo/primal diet. It also lets you focus on health which is more motivating than weight alone. A fun and hilarious book is Robb Wolf's The Paleo Solution.
  • KimJohnsonsmile
    KimJohnsonsmile Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    My motivation comes from knowing if I don't make the time to exercise I'll regress. And, if I don't eat healthy I won't feel as good. I feel sluggish and crappy when I don't eat well. And, if I don't work out for a week due to my work schedule or my children's schedules it's hard to jump back in at the same level I was at before.

It has to be a mindset: This is your new way of life. You choose to eat healthier food. You choose to exercise. Period.

You can do it! Be all you can be! haha
  • Marie047
    Marie047 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    To be fair to be healthy and back to my pre baby weight.

However I completed the London-Brighton Bike ride yesterday (54miles) and it has inspired me to get stronger fitter and healthier as I know I am fit, but it proved to me I can be fitter. So Ive already decided Im doing it next year and I am going to beat my time next year. By doing this training I know I will lose the weight tone up and be stronger fitter and healthier
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just me being impatient, but with the results of my exercise and healthier eating being minimal it's very hard to keep motivated to continue trying to lose weight.

What are you best techniques for staying motivated?

You're so young. Forgive me, but I can't help but pull a "when-I-was-your-age" here.

When I was your age, I was a size 4 and thought I was fat. I started starving myself, taking diet pills, and obsessing over every little curve and bulge. It wasn't long before I had a completely unrealistic self-image and developed a really messed-up relationship with food and went down a long and unhealthy road. If only I knew then what I know now! Try not to stress about it. Try to make healthy food choices and do some physical activity you enjoy. Try not to measure your success by the number on the scale or the size of your jeans. I don't know what your eating and exercise habits are, but try to figure out other ways to measure your success. For me, I measure it by how I feel, how far or how fast I can run, how much weight I can lift or how many push-ups I can do, or how many days in a row I can eat in moderation and not "eat" my stress or frustrations.

I hope this makes sense. I don't think it would have made much of an impact on me if I had read this when I was your age, but there ya go. That's the best I've got. :smile:
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Don't focus entirely on weight/ appearance. Set fitness/performance goals. Focus on the training for an event, or setting a new PR in the gym, or whatever. You will want to eat "right" so you can achieve it, and then once that is done, pick the next thing to strive for.

You did a 5K? Great, now work on a 10K... You can always strive to go farther, faster, higher, whatever. But if you just want to weigh xx pounds, what happens when you get there? Celebrate with a bucket of fried chicken, a cake and a tub of ice cream and undo all the hard work? What will be the motivation at Goal Weight Day +1?