Gained 10 lbs in 3 weeks

Options
So I have weighed around the same weight for a couple years now. I just finished my freshman year and the week I got home I weighed 108lbs and now I weigh almost 119lbs. I have been not been working out as much, or eating as healthy but I still watch what I eat. I do a work out class two times a week, and I also have cheerleading practice at least once a week. I walk atleast 4-8 miles a week as well.I have never gained this much weight in such a short amount of time. I have also never been over 115lbs. Is this normal?

Replies

• marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Possibly. Could be water weight, try drinking a lot of water and see if that changes your weight at all. I find that if I don't log all my food I end up gaining weight.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Yes its possible. You are only "watching" what you eat. You're eating more than you think.
  • csy108
    csy108 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Seems pretty unlikely, verging on impossible, that you gained ten pounds of fat in 3 weeks. You'd have to eat 35,000 calories over your daily energy expenditure to do that, or TDEE+1,600 per day. If you're doing a workout class and cheerleading practice, you'd probably have to eat like 4,000 calories a day to gain all that fat.

Maybe you gained a little fat, but most of that weight probably comes from retaining water from changing your activities and eating too much sodium or not enough water.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    A few things:
    1.If you got these weights from two different scales then you should not be comparing them. Most scales will not match in their readings so only seriously compare readings from the same scale.
    2. Starting a new exercise routine can cause your muscles to retain water for a few days up to a few weeks as they adjust to the new work load and repair. Similarly, most people who work out hard on a regular basis experience a drop in weight if they take a break (say a week on vacation).
    3. If you are logging are you tracking your sodium? Large swings in sodium (carbohydrates will do this too) will change the amount of water you body is retaining. If you eat an abnormally high amount one day you will see it on the scale.