Travel & Eating on the Road

Options
I am traveling 15 days this summer in 2-5 day spurts, with my daughters traveling sports program.
Because of $$ and healthy foods I am looking for some ideas of things to bring along so we are not eating out so much $$$ and eating poor food ( weight & performance). Please share your ideas!!

Replies

• naturesfempower
    naturesfempower Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    When I travel I stop at markets to get fresh produce, nourish bars, and nuts. Fast, easy, and can be eaten while driving.
  • jwooley13
    jwooley13 Posts: 243
    Options
    I would go to costco or another bulk retailer and stock up on healthy snacks like nuts, protein bars, bags of oranges, etc. Stuff like that will be great to tuck in a purse or in the car to cut down on fast food trips.
  • mellenorris
    mellenorris Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Apples are my go-to travel food. If you dice them in advance, sprinkle a little lemon juice on them to keep them from browning. I LOVE them with some peanut butter - I always keep some of those Justin's Nut Butter packets on me.

Nuts are also a great travel food - but portion ahead of time, if you can! I find it's a little too easy to put away 500 calories when I'm nibbling on nuts.
  • NahrasWay
    NahrasWay Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm sure that wherever you go there has to be a grocery store. Rotisserie chickens for salad (which you can also get salad stuff there so you aren't lugging around a lot of things or worrying about it going bad), fruit, nuts, veggies, jerky. Most convenience stores (and maybe some grocery?) have hard boiled eggs you can buy. If you are staying in hotels with the team they should provide you breakfast maybe? You could pick out some healthier options and maybe snag an extra fruit or yogurt (if they serve it) for each of you. Yogurt makes a really yummy dip for fruits. If you don't have access to a way to cook it might be hard to get anything that needs to be cooked. I've heard of people cooking eggs in the microwave in a mug. Even spaghetti Squash apparently can be cooked in the microwave (never tried it to cook it that way).

Good luck!