Carrot juice

Options
hmg90
hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
I've started drinking carrot juice for both it's health benefits and aid for my skin. I'm very fair skinned and since summer is coming up I thought it would be nice to prepare it with some vitamins, plus it's supposed to help your tan.
I've looked into this a bit and all resources confirm the same thing, so I suppose this is not just a myth?

Anyway, I get one from Whole Foods which is the cleanest I could find, about 99% pure juice and a little bit of lemon. It doesn't taste amazing but one glass goes down fine.

Does anyone know how much you should be drinking for good effect? And not overdo it? (My dad told me he ate lots of carrots when younger and eventually turned orange - no joke).

Replies

• fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you eat too many carrots, you turn orange.
    It might help your tan a bit, but it will not give you protection from the sun, so still use sunscreen!
    I wouldn't drink too much, it's still mostly sugar, and I prefer not to drink my calories.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    What miracles are you expecting from carrot juice? Yes carrots contain lots of useful things like phosphorus, Zinc Vitamin A, Vitamin C, calcium and many other things but they're not some miracle food. If you like the taste of carrot juice drink it but as it sounds like you don't just have some carrots as part of a normal diet and you'll get the added benefit of the fibre which wont have been removed as in the juicing. Carrots do contain Beta carotene which gives them their orange colour (though I do grow different colour ones) and technically this could turn you orange but you'd have to eat a lot.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/scicurious-brain/2011/08/26/friday-weird-science-too-many-carrots-and-why-you-should-believe-your-dad/

I never understand why people decide a food contains lots of useful nutrients then think that because of that we should all suddenly drink gallons of the stuff. As with most things rather than a lot of one thing balance and a varied diet will be far better healthwise in the long term.

My dogs love carrots they've not turned orange yet
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you eat too many carrots, you turn orange.
    It might help your tan a bit, but it will not give you protection from the sun, so still use sunscreen!
    I wouldn't drink too much, it's still mostly sugar, and I prefer not to drink my calories.
    Carrots are mostly sugar err that's a new one.
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I meant it as a juice, a juice is mostly sugar water with some vitamins, you are better off just eating the fruit (or in this case the veggies)
    My wording might not have been correct in my first reply, but I was talking about the carrot juice in that sentence, not carrots in general.
  • hmg90
    hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    What miracles are you expecting from carrot juice? Yes carrots contain lots of useful things like phosphorus, Zinc Vitamin A, Vitamin C, calcium and many other things but they're not some miracle food. If you like the taste of carrot juice drink it but as it sounds like you don't just have some carrots as part of a normal diet and you'll get the added benefit of the fibre which wont have been removed as in the juicing. Carrots do contain Beta carotene which gives them their orange colour (though I do grow different colour ones) and technically this could turn you orange but you'd have to eat a lot.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/scicurious-brain/2011/08/26/friday-weird-science-too-many-carrots-and-why-you-should-believe-your-dad/

I never understand why people decide a food contains lots of useful nutrients then think that because of that we should all suddenly drink gallons of the stuff. As with most things rather than a lot of one thing balance and a varied diet will be far better healthwise in the long term.

My dogs love carrots they've not turned orange yet

I never used the word "miracle", I simply wondered if anyone had any experience with the "healthy glow" a certain amount of beta karoten is meant to give you.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Carrot juice will not do any of those things you mentioned.

A multivitamin will have the same effect.

Drinking more water would have a better effect on your appearance.