1000 calorie burn

Options
2»

Replies

• ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    I eat all of them. Unless I burn more than 1000, which would put my daily intake above 5000. I cannot physically consume that much in 24hrs. I just attempt to eat back as much as possible. I'm a long distance runner. Need the energy.

Awesome! I had a broken foot from not running in the right gear (on ice) and I am finally able to run again, 4 miles today might seem like a sqeak, but I can't wait to build up again :)

Keep runnin'!
    Hey, at least you're back running. You'll get back to where you were.
  • DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Yup, after a really long run, I eat a lot more. But it has to be a big burn day (10+ miles).
  • jcc4
    jcc4 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Regarding your burns - your HRM will give you a higher reading in the humidity but it does not mean you burned more. That is one of the things that affects accuracy. Plus the other things you listed would be much harder to estimate burn. I'd be wary to eat the whole 1000 calories under those circumstances.

I thought your heart rate increases in high humidity outside becuase there is less oxygen available; therefore, your body (heart) has to work hader to supply said oxygen to your muscles/organs. That increase in work comes with an increase in calories burned.
  • ARNJMN
    ARNJMN Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    1300 calories on Mondays and Saturdays go largely ignored. However, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays tend to be very tasty days...

Haha, I love it!
    Thank you again for all of your thoughts, you have been very helpful :)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Regarding your burns - your HRM will give you a higher reading in the humidity but it does not mean you burned more. That is one of the things that affects accuracy. Plus the other things you listed would be much harder to estimate burn. I'd be wary to eat the whole 1000 calories under those circumstances.

I thought your heart rate increases in high humidity outside becuase there is less oxygen available; therefore, your body (heart) has to work hader to supply said oxygen to your muscles/organs. That increase in work comes with an increase in calories burned.

HR is not directly related to calories burned. There is a relationship under certain circumstances between VO2 max and HR that allows for an estimation but that does not mean higheHR = more calories burned. Your HR will be higher in heat and humidity but it doesn't mean more calories burned.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/773451-is-my-hrm-giving-me-incorrect-calorie-burn

ETA - and also
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1044313-this-is-why-hrms-have-limited-use-for-tracking-calories
  • delazouche
    delazouche Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My method is probably going to earn me a scolding from other people, but if I have a seriously intense workout day where I KNOW I have burned a ton of calories, I usually just give myself a no-logging-the-calories relax and enjoy life meal. I've been logging long enough to know if I'm going overboard though, and if I'm in doubt, I'll look it up but not obsess. Ex. This past weekend I did a seriously strenuous 6 mile uphill hike and followed it with 3 veggie and shrimp tacos, some tea with milk and honey, and a scoop of chocolate ice cream...taken in over the course of about 4 hours of walking downtown. I'd been logging my calories before the hike, so I knew what I had left for the day and that there was no way I was going to exceed it with that meal.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I think the most calories I've burned in a period of time was a 14 day 200 mile backpack I did. I ate as much as I could reasonably carry but I think I ended up netting about negative 2500 calories per day since my TDEE was probably above 5000 and you can only carry so much. At the end of it I hoped on the scale and had lost 10 pounds.

I strive to eat my exercise calories back, but there are limits.
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I'm consistently getting burns over 1000 now that I can bike commute on top of my gym going. I tend to eat back half my exercise calories, unless it's it's a splurge day where I'm eating a delicious cheesy smashburger with a side of haystack onions and a milkshake. Then I use them all :)
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I run 50-60 miles a week so I get 1000k burns a lot. My maintence goal is 1650.. I usually eat 2400 calories a day.