I am the girl that never sticks to weight training

Options
I see the benefits of strength training, but never stick to it for more than 6 weeks. They say try something you love or you won't stick to it. Honestly, I love running and jogging. But right now - I am so heavy that I don't want to mess up my joints or get injured. I still have over 40 pounds to lose so for now I'm sticking to jogging 2 miles every other day. I've even just jogged 3 miles twice in the last week!

And I'm trying to get in more protein. And this time for weight training I tried something different - I tried doing a youtube video from home. No hassle of going to the gym. And I stopped when I got too tired. It was a 30 minute video. And I only did 15 minutes.

So - I've failed at sticking to strength training every single time before. So now - I'm trying to do something different. Doing it from home. And also getting really tired and sweaty and gross but not pushing myself too far. I found a video - and my lofty goal is to stick with it for 3 times a week for at least 6 weeks. I've never stuck with a weight training routine for longer than 3 weeks. So that would be a huge goal for me.

I'm just wondering if there are any other former cardio junkies out there that found a weight training routine they could stick to?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    most people find when they get results they are more driven to keep doing it.

Have you tried an actual lifting program? for pure strength gains?

that might help you when you start putting numbers up and success drives motivation.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I was a cardio queen... in fact I still do 1-2 cardio classes a day/5-6 times a week. BUT I am also a heavy lifter who fell in love with it when I started doing strong curves 5 months ago (I started 7 months ago but didn't like the program so I forced myself to lift). Now I am in week 8 of another program by Nia Shanks and I love, love, love, love it. Once I started seeing results I fell in love. I feel so bad@ss LOL
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Trying again with Chalean Extreme 3x per week. I invited some friends to join me, hoping that will help!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What about P90X3... It's a mixture of cardio and strength/resistance training, only 30 minutes a day.

Or some bodyweight routines, you don't have to just do lifting in the gym if you don't like it.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    i'm the oppostie, was a weight room fanatic then i did insanity and finally saw results i wanted.

not by coincedence, it was also the first time i really had a handle on my diet.

but it did turn me on to really intense cardio with bodyweight stuff thrown in.

i second p90x. if you ask me, even the lifting days are close to cardio. i barely have enough time to write down reps between sets.

oh, i see it was p90x3 that was recommended. never done it but its probably a good choice.
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,097 Member
    Options
    I am not a huge fan of workouts at all. So what I have found is if I don't progress either in time for my runs or in pounds for my lifts then I am not happy and tend to slack. So when I have to apply 110% or else I know I am going to not see the results I want to see. You need to set yourself up with goals you can reach so that once you reach them you feel accomplished and motivated to come back and lift more and see how far you can go.

For me this is pound numbers. Last year in my bulk I hit a new high for my squat. Since I am cutting again it has went down but I am doing my best to maintain those numbers so that when I get back to eating more again I can surpass last years numbers and in my case break into the 300's on my squat.
  • skinnysmartbitch
    skinnysmartbitch Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I'm working two jobs and I don't have time for p90x. And also starting law school soon - so I really want to do something maintainable and not too intensive as far as time is considered. But I think what's really stopped me in the past is my unwillingness to mix things up. This time - I really think I have a much more open mind - so maybe I really will just try to stick with it for 3 months and really just do it with the mindset that it takes awhile to love it! I'm hoping that having picked a video I can do at home will make a difference and make it easier to stick to this time!

Thanks everyone for all your responses!!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Were you following an actual program?
  • skinnysmartbitch
    Options
    I've hired a personal trainer in years past but it was like an hour long workout. And then I've tried on my own off and on a few basic exercises. So I really don't think I can stick to anything too intense like an hour long weigh lifting program. The thirty minute program I found seemed good enough for beginners and I didn't feel like I was going to injure myself by doing crazy combos. So unless I find something else for beginners that's better for some reason.. I think I'm going to stick to the arm workout (it was the one suggested by MFP in the most recent/one of the most recent e-newsletters)
  • skinnysmartbitch
    Options
    I've also tried classes at 24 hour fitness. I really liked that - but that won't be in the budget $$ wise or time wise pretty soon because of school and everything. I really just want to try it and stick with it for once. I'm not a quitter... I've just never fell in love with it and never quite get the emotional/adrenaline release like I do running. So when I had time to exercise that was always my go to. The bottom line is I just love endurance running more than anything.

My ideal goal would be to get into the routine of doing some routine of like at least 2-3 times a week for 20 minutes each. I would be really proud of that.

Right now, I have time to do something 3 times a week, between 15-30 minutes long. Maybe really the key for me is to just stick with it long enough to see real results and then maybe I would be more driven to stay with it.
  • LoneWolf_70
    LoneWolf_70 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    if the photo is up to date I would not recommend losing 40 lbs. you'd be dead.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I've hired a personal trainer in years past but it was like an hour long workout. And then I've tried on my own off and on a few basic exercises. So I really don't think I can stick to anything too intense like an hour long weigh lifting program. The thirty minute program I found seemed good enough for beginners and I didn't feel like I was going to injure myself by doing crazy combos. So unless I find something else for beginners that's better for some reason.. I think I'm going to stick to the arm workout (it was the one suggested by MFP in the most recent/one of the most recent e-newsletters)

you do realize real results come from real hard work. And that's to be read like REAL hard work- not really hard work.

20 min workouts are great- for when you have 20 minutes- but if you are looking to change your actual body composition you're going to have to commit to some work. Most people can get what they need out of 2 sessions of 45-120 min long compound lifting type workouts.

But just doing 20 minutes here and there isn't going to cut it. There is a point where you have to knuckle down and do work son.

this is why we all chuckle when women go- " I don't want to get too bulky" be cause even getting kind of shredded- takes work- lots of work. So doing SOME work is going to get you great results if you just commit to working hard and doing the work for a few months.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    compressing cardio into an intense little time slot with maximum effort can make it more effective,

unfortuantely it doesn't really work like that with weights. in fact, the faster you try to go the closer it gets to a cardio workout
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering if there are any other former cardio junkies out there that found a weight training routine they could stick to?

I am still a cardio junky when I have the time, but I too do not like weights. I do them occasionally, but not regularly. I've had much better success with bodyweight exercises. Some purely for strength like pushups triceps dips and one-legged squats. And some that incorporate both strenght and cardio - like skaters, walking lunges, mtn climbers, and burpees.
  • mtyler7718
    mtyler7718 Posts: 24
    Options
    I see the benefits of strength training, but never stick to it for more than 6 weeks.

Hi SSB! I also mostly go for cardio but then I have a really bad back so lifting weights isn't an option for me. What I have found VERY helpful though, are the resistance bands that you can buy at any sports store. I have a set that fit over the doorknob and you use your own body weight to build muscle. This works well for me because of my back. Also, I love to swim--and this builds muscle as well as burns fat. I am lucky that we have a pool on the E. Coast but it's an outdoor pool and obviously closed in the winter. I am enjoying swimming so much that think I'm going to join a gym in the fall that has a pool. That's a total body workout.

Happy Monday!

Melinda
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Yes I was all about cardio...then started doing body weigth exercises and then moved onto free weights. Haven't looked back since and although I know cardio has it's benefits I just don't like doing it anymore.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    if the photo is up to date I would not recommend losing 40 lbs. you'd be dead.

I was just wondering the same thing. Where exactly are these 40 lbs coming from? Are you donating organs? Not trying to be smart, just really curious where all this weight is hiding.
  • skinnysmartbitch
    Options
    My photo was me like maybe 10 pounds before I hit goal. I'm not posting a photo of my current self until it becomes the before picture, haha. That's definitely me in a healthy weight range there. And I really love swimming! That's a great idea! I would love to get into it again. I will have access to a pool when I start school.

At this point, I'm not too concerned about changing body composition dramatically. I am looking to add something into my routine that isn't cardio so I can have a more well-rounded fitness routine and to increase my strength a moderate amount. I'm really trying to stay away from anything "extreme" or intense because I know I won't be able to keep up with it once school starts again. At this point, I would just love to get back to the point where I could do 50 push-ups a day, and I can hardly do 5 "real" push-ups right now. I lost a lot of strength this past year and would like to build it back up. I have naturally really strong legs because of my body type and how much I love running.

Honestly, my brother got me everything I needed to go rock-climbing for Christmas: the harness, shoes, chalk, the hook things, everything, and I would love to be able to rock climb! I did it as a kid a few times and really just loved it, and it's always been a hobby that I wanted to start up, but never had the equipment.

So really - my goal here is to lose the weight and get enough muscle so I can maintain what I love to do: running, skiing, and hopefully getting into rock climbing in six months or less.

Honestly, I'm so afraid to even attempt rock climbing right now. My arms feel desperately weak compared to a year ago. Basically, for the last year I have had two jobs and applied to school and a bunch of scholarships and all of a sudden didn't have any time anymore. In the past, I easily maintained my weight of 138 (size 3/5) by eating whatever I wanted all the time but also doing insane amounts of cardio (long runs, training for a half-marathon or marathon, gym rat constantly). Well, things changed and my life got a lot busier. My life is still ridiculously busy and I expect it will continue to be extremely busy as I am starting law school in 2 months. So I'm trying to spend the summer establishing healthy habits that I can continue once school starts. This is why I am being realistic with myself: I have 100% focused on nutrition and currently am working out for about 30 minutes 3-4 times a week. I think that is realistic to continue through law school. The reason I mention all this is because this is why I am interested in trying to find a strength training routine that can fit into my busy lifestyle. Honestly, if I have an hour to work out - I'm more likely to choose to run or do cardio than strength training. If I'm going to commit to strength training, it needs to be in a dose that I can commit to and not hate. And, on top of that - I want to feel like I can continue it once school starts.

Right now, I feel like I can commit to the video at home. Maybe in a month I can complete the whole thing! mtyler, I really appreciate the swimming tip - that is definitely a great idea, might even be a date night tomorrow night for me and the boyfriend :) All, I really appreciate the input. Especially those who have transitioned from cardio junkies to inserting weight training into your routine. I guess it's like any habit, if you do it long enough - it will finally become a habit.

And I think doing it with the goal of going rock climbing is definitely going to be motivation for me. Before I would just do it just to do it because I thought I was supposed to and just couldn't stick with it. Now... rock climbing is seriously something I would love to try!
  • mansarovar2015
    mansarovar2015 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am new to MFP, ned to lose 50 pounds .
    I had done 8 months of weight training in 2013 ( Jan - Sep 2013) , and lost 10 kgs ,but after while my weight plateu-ed .
    I am now same weight for past 7 months,( Oct 2013 to June 2014) .
    I got demoralised and stopped weight training , but started doing rigorous cardio., logging 70 X 8 minutes per week,
    But my weight wont budge.

Also after lower body weight training i get severe soreness in my thighs which wont go away for 4 days at least.
    I am a working professional, i need to be mobile all the time.
    Are there any other with similar problems??
  • la_vie_est_belle_
    la_vie_est_belle_ Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate. I too, am a cardio junkie. I will say I love the results weight training has given my body. For a while I was doing a split routine(training different body parts on different days) but now i started doing a full body strength training circuit program. If you like cardio, you would like a circuit training strength program.I downloaded an interval timer on my cell phone, and set the timer for a minute. I do a strength move as many times as I can in that minute(squats, deadlifts, kettlebells, weighted burpees, lunges, push ups, etc.)I do 30 minutes at least and do a different strength training move every minute. If you like cardio you're really like it. Its really intense. I also recommend the free online blog Melissa bender fitness. She has really good home workout videos that combine strength training, cardio, and plyometric exercises. Good luck! Oh yes, the insanity videos are pretty good too.