I Need Hep Creating a Balanced Workout Routine

Options
After creating a routine with weight lifting in the afternoon and riding my new bike (i'm so excited) after work, my friend wanted me to join her in doing T25. My fear is on my weight lifting days I'll end up over working the muscle and fall to injury. I used to do HITT workouts but noticed i wasn't seeing any results. I read sometimes too much of HITT is counterproductive and instead do this type of workout 2x a week, while focusing on steady state. My endurance suck and I would love to improve that along with losing 40lbs. Below i came up with this plan which is very loosely. What do you think? Is this ok or should I just skip T25 and enjoy the weather outside on my new bike?

Thank you in Advance!

1) Monday: Alternate Week 1- Legs, Calves / Week 2- Legs, Butt, Calves (lunch time)
Afternoon: Cardio- biking or T 25
2) Tuesday - Chest, shoulders, triceps (lunch time)

Afternoon: Cardio- biking or T25

3) Wednesday- Off/Cardio only, biking or T25

4) Thursday: Back/Biceps (lunch time)
Afternoon: Cardio- Biking or T25
5) Friday: Off/Cardio Only; biking or T25

6) Saturday and Sunday rest days

Replies

• rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I'm not up on the details of T25, but from what I've seen, it's really just an intense cardio routine. There will be some strength improvement if you're untrained, but you won't gain a lot of strength from it.

Your strength training is not very aggressive - you're only working each body part once per week, which is very slow for a beginner program. I understand that a lunch-time workout has to be pretty short, so there's nothing wrong that, but most people are able to do more work than that. But if all you have is a 30-minute lunch break, you can't do everything. On the positive side, you should have plenty of recovery time to do all the cardio you're doing!
  • abs0830
    abs0830 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I've done T-25, actually just finished it up. What you're doing doesn't sound extreme to me. However, everyone responds differently. Listen to your body and go from there. Rip-T circuit is the one that I noticed the most with weights and what not, so if I were you I'd probably not do that one. But Core, Speed, etc. are mainly cardio and would be fine. However, if you feel like riding your bike do that!
  • neverquit33
    neverquit33 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    thank you for reply to my post. Now I' m ready to just have fun. . :wink:
  • neverquit33
    Options
    I'm not up on the details of T25, but from what I've seen, it's really just an intense cardio routine. There will be some strength improvement if you're untrained, but you won't gain a lot of strength from it.

Your strength training is not very aggressive - you're only working each body part once per week, which is very slow for a beginner program. I understand that a lunch-time workout has to be pretty short, so there's nothing wrong that, but most people are able to do more work than that. But if all you have is a 30-minute lunch break, you can't do everything. On the positive side, you should have plenty of recovery time to do all the cardio you're doing!

you are absolutely right about it being too slow. You reminded me of an article I came across last year which was explaining the same thing.

for anyone else who needs some guidance see the link below. I'm gonna try this routine out along with the cardio this week. Thank you rick_po. :smile:

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/
  • FrankJ3rd
    FrankJ3rd Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Unless you are working out strictly for appearance, a good workout employs exercises that works multiple muscles together. Body weight exercises are great for this. Plank, pushups, squats, lunges and pull ups would work most muscles. As you progress, move to more advanced versions of these same moves. Normal activities require muscle groups to work in concert. Bodyweight exercises are more beneficial than working an individual muscle.
  • neverquit33
    Options
    Unless you are working out strictly for appearance, a good workout employs exercises that works multiple muscles together. Body weight exercises are great for this. Plank, pushups, squats, lunges and pull ups would work most muscles. As you progress, move to more advanced versions of these same moves. Normal activities require muscle groups to work in concert. Bodyweight exercises are more beneficial than working an individual muscle.

last night i decided to ditch the workout above and go back to my old compound workouts and kettlebell (basic) workouts too. My diet and not enough cardio is why i didn't see results before but now I'm gonna incoroprate it all together. Thank you Frankj3rd. :wink: