how many hours exercise??

Options
how many hours exercise is reccomended in a day??
i used to exercise quite a lot in my younger days.
its been 3 -4 months since i last exercised i have started again yesterday.
however i only managed to do 30 minutes, i will be working this up by 10 minutes per day til my body is more used to it again.
How many hours does everyone else do in a day not including cleaning or anything like that??

Replies

• havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I get an hour to 2 hours depending on my schedule and the workout I am doing
  • Hammy_69
    Hammy_69 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't know about everyone else, but I try to get in at least an hour of dedicated exercise 6 days a week.
  • wccafe
    wccafe Posts: 20
    Options
    My doctor recommended 150 minutes a week. 30 minutes, 5 days. That was my starting point, and for a week or two didn't do much more than that. However, I noticed in my MFP goals, it suggessted that I burn more calories a day than my 30 minutes was getting me, so, I now work out for an hour a day. I'm pleased with the results! Kepp going, the finish line is up ahead.
  • siriusciel
    siriusciel Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    My goal is 30-45 minutes, 4-5 days a week. I alter how much time I spend on really listening to my body. Some days I can really push, others I can't. If I have a "lighter" day, I usually make up for it the next day. I always take at least 1 rest day, if not 2. On one of my rest days, I usually do lunges, squats, sit-ups, etc.. This has worked for me thus far :)
  • slwood2
    Options
    I think the same 30mins. 5 times a day.Remember it is all about moving.If you are just getting back to it do not over do it .Remember just cleaning house running vaccum cleaner burn calories.Good luck in your weight loss
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    The time of exercise is secondary to the intensity level. A heart rate monitor will tell you when you are in the fat burning zone which is about 80% of your max HR. Sustaining that HR for 30 minutes is when you start to burn fat. Build up slow and have a rest day in-between. Protein powder drink mix within 30 minutes of finishing helps with muscle repair/soreness. So does a hot bath for 20 - 30 minutes.

For me, 30 minutes minimum per day of "fasted cardio" yields a weekly weightloss of 1.5 - 2 pounds. If I do it any other time of the day, my weight doesn't go up or down. My current running is 44 minutes every morning and a cooldown walk for 30 minutes and I dropped 3 pounds in the first 7 days on here. If not for overexercise injury I would be farther along. Last year I lost 16 pounds in 6 weeks and tried to crank it up some more instead of being happy with that progress. I'm healed and back at it with much more knowledge of proper running/exercise/weightloss. This weight is coming off for good.

Look for a post on here titled: The 51 things that burn fat (or thereabouts) One of those things talks about intensity vs. time spent.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I workout 6 days a week, and time length ranges from about an hour to 90 minutes. I do my workouts about 2-3 hours after waking up and after having at least one meal (I exercise so intensely that the before meal thing would make me pass out...literally...and I know this from, gulp, experience).
  • jenblwr
    jenblwr Posts: 53
    Options
    I do two 10 mins bouts of walking, and 15 mins of aerobic/dance or yoga type exercise every day - but I'm only just starting out...so hopefully I'll be able to increase that. Plus I'm on my feet and walking around at work all day.
  • TuRboJamEVeRydaY
    TuRboJamEVeRydaY Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hey! Im seeing you again this morning :) I do about 45-60 min 4-5 times a week. I really like Turbo jam
  • steve1126
    Options
    30-45 minutes a day is all you need. Especially if you're doing cardio because after that, you get into an anerobic state, which is what you don't want.
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    30-45 minutes a day is all you need. Especially if you're doing cardio because after that, you get into an anerobic state, which is what you don't want.

Could you explain that, please?