Keeping a deficit to make up for 'binges'

Options
2»

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I have an avg that I aim for for the week. Eat more on days I'm more hunger, less on days I'm not. All evens out by the end of the week as long as you don't go too extreme.
  • Christi132
    Christi132 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Happy to hear I"m on the right track. For me, maintaining takes a completely different attitude than losing. After a year of maintaining, I feel I finally have some good strategies. Although I used to do the weekly free day, I'm trying to get away from the restrict/binge mentality. Instead, I've been working on a 80/20 rule. Be extremely healthy 80% of the time and forgot about it 20% (although still try not go on a total food binge during that 20%).
  • JassiBear
    JassiBear Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I guess there's nothing wrong with it :/ I heard some people do weekly goals anyway... rather than daily.
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I did not use this method to lose my weight, however, as I'm still rather new to maintenance, I'm considering trying it for a few weeks to see if it works for me. I don't "binge" on weekends, but certainly do eat about 500 cals over my daily goal.

Am trying this week to have two or three days with deficits during the week to offset the weekend excess.
  • kateangel2312
    kateangel2312 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I do this every weekend, seems to be I maintain doing this. my average cals come out around 2300 a day
  • CAC10456
    CAC10456 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I am no where near maintaining yet, still have many to lose. But, I don't eat back the calories I burn at the gym so that in the evening if I go over, or have a few beers, I don't worry about it cuz I know I am at a deficit for the day. I have no idea if that is good or bad, but it is working, and I don't feel like it is cheating to over eat some evening because I know I burned them at the gym. If I stick to my original calorie goal, then I feel like the deficit I created helped drop some more weight.

This is what I do too.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I save making a huge deficit for big events. For instance, I created a 1,000+ deficit through whittling away a small amount of cals off my intake each day the week of my birthday, and fit in extra workouts so I could justify the beer + sushi I had the night of my birthday. I personally don't make it a regular thing, because I like food.

If you're having trouble with binges, I'd recommend trying to get to the root of that problem. Don't want to be in an endless cycle of doing this in the future, and you do want to make sure you're hitting goals daily.