Which lifting program?

Options
catbrand
catbrand Posts: 227 Member
Stronglifts 5x5 or NROLFW?

I'm pretty new to lifting, I've completed stage one of NROLFW about 18 months ago but I've had a baby since then and I've lost loads of strength. My main goal is to be fit enough for a Tough Mudder Run next year. I'm doing cardio separately, but upper body strength is important too. My next goal is weight/inch loss, but I'm assuming that will naturally come with the training required for a TM (and good diet obviously).

Any thoughts / opinions would be great.

Thanks

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength. It's similar to Stronglifts, but stronglifts basically ripped off it's entire workout plan from SS.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Read both and start with whichever one peaks your interest the most, and one that you can commit yourself to for 6 to 12 weeks then re-evaluate. None are perfect, but you can find one that is perfect for your goals and lifestyle.
  • catbrand
    catbrand Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I'll look into Starting Strength, not heard of it before.

I have looked into both. I like stronglifts for it's simplicity, but I like new rules for it's wide range of exercises which should stop me getting bored. I'm slightly leaning towards new rules as it incorporates HIIT, but as I mentioned before, I'm already working on cardio and I like the simplicity of stronglifts... I can't choose!!
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength. It's similar to Stronglifts, but stronglifts basically ripped off it's entire workout plan from SS.
    ^This
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I started with stronglifts to get my form down and master the basic lifts, then transitioned to 5/3/1 to start incorporating more accessory work on a time budget. I can't say that I've looked in to NROL but what I've heard of it is that it gets a bit complicated. I definitely prefer the KISS concept and anything that lets me be in and out of the gym in under an hour so that's why I went with SL.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

:heart: So much this.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options

:heart: So much this.

Bill Starr actually.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I started with Starting Strength and then tried Stronglifts, I have settled on NRoL. I understand the concept behind Starting Strength and Stronglifts, but after experimentation in both I believe NRoL does a much better job of easing someone like myself into the heavy compound. I have never been a lifter and I am now in my mid 40's just starting. I have came close when doing Starting Strength of injuring my lower back pretty good, not to mention I have been having issues with my hips. Since starting NRoL I have noticed my hips getting better when doing body squats.

My personal opinion, if you are younger, do the starting strength, stronglifts or Wendlers 531 but if you are older and have never lifted before I think something like NRoL works great. You eventually get to those awesome compound lifts but NRoL does a good job of prepping your body to do them without injury.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    New Rules Stage 1, Starting Strength, and Stronglifts are so similar that it doesn't really matter.

NR A: Squat, Bench, Row, Step-up, Jackknife
    NR B: Deadlift, Overhead Press, Lat Pulldown, Lunge, Crunch

SS A: Squat, Bench, Deadlift
    SS B: Squat, Overhead Press, Clean

SL A: Squat, Bench, Row
    SL B: Squat, Overhead Press, Deadlift

NROL has you do high-rep sets in the early weeks to learn good form.

They have slightly different progression rules in the early weeks (NROL progressions are rep-based, the others are weight-based), but you end up in the same place eventually.

NROL is 2 sets for the first couple weeks, then 3 sets. SS is 3 sets the whole way. SL is 5 sets.

NROL is better about explaining what you should do if you're not strong enough to lift the empty barbell. Once you can press 45 pounds, they are the same.