Scale never drops

Options
Okay this is getting very frustrating guys... I work out 4-5 times a week. I sometimes binge but for the most part, I keep my serving sizes small. And I actually gained weight! I do about 30-40 mins of cardio and 20 mins of crunches and leg presses. But I'm gaining weight! DO you think its possible that I could be gaining weight due to increasing muscle mass OR NAW???

Replies

• KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    If you are gaining weight then you are eating more than you think. You sometimes binge, but keep your serving sizes small for the most part?? Are you weighing your food or accountable for everything you're putting in your mouth? Can you open your diary, so that people can help you? How much and often are you gaining?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I work out 4-5 times a week...

I do about 30-40 mins of cardio and 20 mins of crunches and leg presses...

Very little effect on weight gain/loss

Weight is primarily determined by eating habits; not so much by exercise.

What and how much are you eating daily?
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    How are you tracking calories burned? If you are using the MFP database it could be off and you could be eating more than you should be.
    another issue could be how you are tracking your food, Are you weighing and measuring your food? If not that could be where your downfall is.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    How long have you been at this and is the exercise routine new to you? It's not uncommon to see a stall or slight gain on the scale when you start a new exercise routine because our bodies flood sore muscles with extra fluid to help cushion and repair them. This can mask any fat loss that's happening while your body adjusts.

I agree with those above who say you may be eating too much, but it's also possible that you're just being impatient and need to give your body some time to catch up with the new routine.
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Cardio won't build your muscle, and the vast majority of your weight loss will be from what you eat/don't eat, not from exercising. Take another look at your daily caloric intake and what you can do to stop bingeing enough that it's halting your losses. Are you not allowing for enough calories throughout the day? Are you starving yourself?
  • naishadr
    naishadr Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I feel like I have been starving. But, I am eating.... smh
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Do you log all of your food intake?
    Do you weigh all of your food?

If so, open your diary and make it public.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    If you are gaining weight then you are eating more than you think. You sometimes binge, but keep your serving sizes small for the most part?? Are you weighing your food or accountable for everything you're putting in your mouth? Can you open your diary, so that people can help you? How much and often are you gaining?

Yes.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options

Yup, this, every last little bit of this.

And no, it's not muscle gain. Building muscle is incredibly hard and requires deliberate effort over a long period of time, it doesn't happen by accident.

Rigger
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Do you leave it on the ground?

Pick it up and try again.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Chances are, you're eating more than you think you do. If you don't have a digital food scale, then I'd suggest getting one. They help ALOT.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I work out 4-5 times a week. I sometimes binge but for the most part,

Your profile says you just joined MFP this month. Is that when you started working out? If so, then water weight from starting a new workout, coupled with the binges, is likely the reason for your gain.

You may not have gained any fat, but these binges are going to affect your progress. Depending on your daily deficit, you could easily be undoing that with a binge of 1500 calories, which isn't really all that hard to do.

Keep working out. Your body will let go of the water weight once it adjusts to a new routine. And get control of those binges. Don't make your diet too strict. Allow room for a treat now and then.