major calorie burn, no loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• JassiBear
    JassiBear Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Have you done your TDEE? What activity level are your "base calories" tied to?

If you are "very active" and eat back all of your logged exercise, there in could be your problem - you're double counting those walking calories during the day.

Exactly. I would only log exercise if I set my daily activity level to sedentary. You shouldn't count individual exercise as isolated incidents but then also factor them into your activity level because your accounting for those calories twice.
  • rsoice
    rsoice Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    You've gotten some great advice here, the other link is are you tracking your calories in? As in are you logging accurately? If you're eating back the calories you think you've added from walking, why?
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I think you're betting off switching your activity level while you're more active at work than adding them as exercise calories.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    General notes on walking (or any exercise for that matter)

Walking might, also, not be sufficiently inefficient enough for one. Generally, walking versus running doesn't matter. Distance matters, but one is past the adaption phase, have to increase duration, frequency, or resistance
  • jeccawest91
    jeccawest91 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    HRM, food scale and opening up your diary.
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    The problem is that you're eating too many calories.

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/

You are definitely overestimating your burn and are probably underestimating how much you're eating, too.

This is why I recommend eating back no more than half of your exercise calories.

Yes, there are people who eat more than that and still lose weight. But they're not losing as much as they could be. And a lot of them eventually stop losing weight or even gain weight.

At first, people usually lose weight quickly as their body adjust to exercising. And then, depending on how big they are when they start, they have a bit of leeway as far as being able to eat extra calories and still lose weight. Deficits are huge because their TDEE is still high. But as one gets closer and closer to one's goal weight, the leeway disappears. It's important to get an accurate count of calories eaten and burned. As for me, I'd rather go under and lose a little more weight than expected, than eat too much and have a bad weigh-in.
  • ShellF415
    ShellF415 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Missed the part about walking over 12 hours; sorry for the heart rate monitor suggestion. :)
  • missnatlyn
    missnatlyn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I am constantly walking average of 7 hours a day. Reaching bending and squatting as well. I have my TDEE set to start because that is my normal day. I don't eat back 2000 calories!! It's usually not over 1900 on days where I walk all day. I will re evaluate my calorie burn.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    For the last 3 weeks I have burned 1900-2200 calories a day walking 12 miles a day at my job.

12 miles walking for a 150 pound person is a little over 600 extra calories of burn.

Sorry.

PS A great way to guarantee a burn overestimate for walking is to use an HRM - they are not designed for that kind of activity and WILL give you wrong answers.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    are are you walking at a continuous, brisk pace or walking for a few minutes at a slower pace, stopping to work, starting again? if you stop frequently to do stuff, you give your heart rate time to go back down, thereby burning less calories. also walking at a slower pace burns less calories.

btw, i'm short, overweight, over 50 and in not great shape, and my heart rate monitor thinks i burn 329 calories per hour walking briskly. most people burn less, and that's between 3.5 and 4 miles per hour. my husband, who's tall and much fitter burns a LOT less than that walking for an hour.