People that have lost weight with hashimoto's disease

Options
help I've been diagnosed with it for 2 years and lived with it for 22 years. I'm trying so hard to lose weight because I plan on auditioning for a stag show soon and if I get chosen hope to lose weight by that time but my weight doesn't seem to want to go anywhere.I've tried every diet you can think of (weight watchers, nutrisystem, vegetarian, eat-clean,etc....) and nothing works. Can someone please give me a solution that has worked for them that I could possibly try?

Replies

• joesjl
    joesjl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't have hashimotos but I know two people that do, my best friend and my aunt. They both have completely different mind sets about it and i think that has alot to do with their success in getting to a healthy weight. My best friend struggled for a couple of years but found that finding the right dose of medication is very important. She also started jogging 4-5 days a week. She has my goal body! When I look at her I think "I hope I can look as good as her someday" so there is hope! She looks at it objectively. "Ok I have this problem so I have to do things a little differently, but its not he end of the world."
    My aunt on the other hand lets it define her, she tells everyone she meets about her thyroid problem and how it stole her model body. She's tried every diet under the sun but can't lose it yada yada. But every time I see her she's drowning her sorrows in comfort food, and she doesn't excercise. She's dangerously overweight and is starting to have a lot of other health issues. She also spends time working with doctors but she's not doing her part!
    It may take a little longer than someone without the condition but in the end you can do it! My friend did it no differently than you're supposed to besides working with her doctor and doing regular blood work to manage it. She counted calories in and calories out. She's not a clean eater and when she first started jogging she said she could only go for 30 seconds before walking but she didn't give up. She kept trying until 30 secs turned into 1 min then 2 and now 30.
  • amberrose_724
    amberrose_724 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    ok o I'll try to build up o running. I'm the same way. I can only do about 30 seconds before having to walk.so I'll keep at it then
  • HappilyDistracted
    HappilyDistracted Posts: 1,700 Member
    Options
    I don't have hashi's- just low thyroid and I'm very sensitive to meds. The right medication has been really important- dosage, brand, and timing. Generic is too up and down for me, so I take brand name (Synthroid). If I don't take meds at the same time every day, I will know, because I am exhausted within an hour or two. Avoid consuming things that will affect it. Such as, no calcium or coffee within 4 hours before or after of taking your meds. No energy drinks, period. Be careful about taking other medications. They can make the thyroid go out of whack. (this took me forever to figure out that my birth control pills were screwing with my thyroid, ugh!) Not enough medication for me= exhaustion, carb cravings, hunger (even though I don't need more food), and emotional. Not a good starting point for losing weight.

I am also more prone to insulin resistance. Before I had my first child, I was gaining weight with no real change to diet. I started on metformin for the insulin resistance and lost 20lbs almost instantly. Unfortunately, can't take that when you're pregnant.

Try to eat more low-glycemic foods, higher protein, lower carbs. More veggies, less fruits, and eat protein with your carbs. For example, if you're going to have a banana, have it with peanut butter or yogurt. This helps me feel full longer, less energy crashes and headaches.

Exercise. When I started jogging, it was much easier to lose weight.

Track correctly and track everything. I used to eyeball foods and, well, I like to think I eat less than I really do. Now I weigh foods or if I'm being lazy, I will pick up a sandwich from Subway or some place that tells me how many calories is in something, because I clearly can't be trusted. ;-)

Good luck! I hope this helps! I am on the second phase of my weight loss journey- I lost about 60lbs after my pregnancy, then got stuck in maintenance mode for a while, gained about 10lbs back, and now I am at it again with maybe another 50lb to lose. I did the first phase on Weight Watchers and now I am trying out MFP. The thyroid thing does not help, but you can do this!
  • hkristine1
    hkristine1 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    help I've been diagnosed with it for 2 years and lived with it for 22 years. I'm trying so hard to lose weight because I plan on auditioning for a stag show soon and if I get chosen hope to lose weight by that time but my weight doesn't seem to want to go anywhere.I've tried every diet you can think of (weight watchers, nutrisystem, vegetarian, eat-clean,etc....) and nothing works. Can someone please give me a solution that has worked for them that I could possibly try?

My naturopath is thoroughly convinced that thyroid issues are related to gluten consumption. I thought "yeah right - just like everything else these days." So, she checks my blood (because I'm super fatigued, gaining weight, etc etc) and finds my thyroid antibody count is borderline on higher than "normal" (even though my thyroid function is within normal realms - she says "your thyroid is under attack - eventually, it will die if we don't stop the attack." My mom's thyroid is dead - seemed pretty plausible to me). She says I am borderline hoshimotos. She tells me to stop eating gluten. I comply. 9 months later, she rechecks my thyroid antibody count. It has reduced SIGNIFICANTLY. I mean, not just a little, but a ton. Of course, I thought to myself "maybe the initial blood work was artificially high for some reason." So, I started eating gluten again (with doctor's blessing) and just had my bloodwork rechecked - don't have the results yet but I'm pretty certain it's going to show high antibodies again because I'm super tired all the time again.

I'm not a doctor nor a nutritionist or anything, but I'm pretty convinced that gluten consumption is linked (yeah - I know... sounds too fad-ish... I know. I was a skeptic, too). Google it. Lots of people agree - of course, there's little scientific data to back it up... but maybe try GF diet for a few months and see what happens. It won't hurt you (except that GF options are more expensive and not as tasty as "regular" options)... give it a try - see what happens.
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    If you want to start jogging try the couch25k podcasts. It alternates power walking with small bursts of jogging, gradually building up the jogging and decreasing the walking over a 9 weeks period.
  • DnTeegen
    DnTeegen Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have hashimoto's. I don't have a thyroid. I had papillary cancer secondary to hashimoto's thyroiditis. I've had a complete thyroidectomy. I have lost weight before (even though I was silly and gained all plus some back). It takes dedication and drive. I worked out almost every day. I walked a lot. Some days walking 5 miles then doing yoga in the evening. I tracked calories. I put a lot of work into losing weight. Probably more than others. I also had to make sure my levels were perfect. I had to take my medicine at the same time every morning. I also switched to an all natural medication. It's called Tirosint. It's really helped keep my levels consistent.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    MFP has a Hypothyroidism and Hyperthyroidism group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease) and lost weight more slowly than most, so be patient! But I did it just like everybody else—by eating at a deficit. Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Nikole507
    Nikole507 Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm grateful to find this. I had Hashimoto's and a complete thyroidectomy due to enlarged gland and subsequently papillery micro carcinoma. Prior to having my t3 and tsh levels under control, within a year of my surgery, I was diagnosed with breast cancer and underwent a bi-lateral mastectomy and chemotherapy. I've been in remission since January 2014. All that said, I suffer from fatigue and have gained weight and lost a lot of strength, I hate it!! I'd like to lose 30lbs, and rebuild my upper body strength as well as my leg strength. Help! I don't think the medicine is working well because I'm always tired and I get tired fast when I exert myself. Any suggestions here?
  • sarahelizaaaa
    sarahelizaaaa Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I don't have Hashimoto's, but my mom does and she lost a lot of weight doing the Atkins Diet. That was several years ago and she's kept the weight off even after adding some carbs back into her diet. Good luck!
  • russkiballerina
    russkiballerina Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My thyroid is technically perfect, but doesn't respond, so it's useless, it's like it doesn't exist anymore - because I have panhypopituitarism - no hormones whatsoever. So it's hypo and will be forever. I've been clinically underweight my entire life because I never produced cortisol, and it's always been like that, I just never knew I was hypo. It's funny how those things work.

Now that I am on steroids to correct that, I did gain 10kg at first (IV prednisone and solu-cortef + 10L of fluid ICU), already lost 7kg and am on synthroid to correct hypo. I'm finding it a little harder to lose but not as hard as I'd have thought. The principle is the same as no one can create mass out of nowhere - it's still an energy equation. It's the bloat and fatty deposits that shift and make it a little harder than a normal person but it isn't impossible. :)

Like some of the other posters have said before - don't let the disease define you, you're much more than that :D And you will be successful like everyone else :)
  • ShanStroth
    ShanStroth Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have hashimoto's and I have lost weight before. It is really easy to gain back so the key that I am finding is to hold myself accountable. For 3 weeks now I have been logging everything I eat and all of my exercise. I started out slow with the exercise and I cannot believe all that I am doing in just 3 weeks. It really does boil down to what you are eating and moving more. Get the processed food out of your house and out of your life. Eat whole foods. Drink water like it is your job. Do not drink pop and or anything other then tea and water. I am also doing a month of Shakeology and I swear it lives up to the hype. Within 3 days my cravings had stopped. It is very expensive so I am going to try to find a less expensive alternative. Good luck. You got this!
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I have Hashi's and a dead thyroid (completely non functioning) and I am losing now and continue to lose. You can do it - I don't starve myself either 1600-1800 calories per day. I lift weights as I have discovered it helps replenish what is lost due to the disorder (vitamin D, bone loss, cholesterol, fatigue etc... ) Lots of cardio did nothing for me except make me extremely tired since I was already fatigued...

Good luck!!! It CAN be done :)