Running / knees

Options
Im about 250, so running will be tough for me, but it's something I have always wanted to do. I am afraid it will hurt my knees though. Is there something I can do to prevent that?

Replies

• segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    It's definitely harder on your body to run with extra weight than it is without it. If you really want to go that route for weight loss I would say the biggest thing to look at is a great pair of running shoes. You need to go somewhere the specializes in running and they will cost far more than a pair of sneakers, but ideally you will find a place that will spend the time to find the right shoe for you.

Even though I loved running as a kid, I'm holding off until I'm sub 200 lbs to get going again. Losing weight takes a few months, recovering from running induced injuries can take time and money.

For now I am out on the bicycle most every day. Lower impact but still a good way to drop some pounds.

Lots of people lose weight running and if you can do it injury free it is a load of fun, I just don't want to risk not being able to run often when I am trimmed down because I was in a big rush as a heavy guy.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Wear good shoes (go to a running store and ask them to help you find a pair that works for you) and pay attention to whether you are in pain. Don't be afraid to take a day off. You don't have to run every single day to be a runner. Three times a week is perfectly fine.
  • plumsparkle
    plumsparkle Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Hi, in just over 250 and I have been running for a couple of months now and it has helped me lose 15.5 lbs. I also have fibromyalgia which makes it very important for me to go carefully. I have been following the c25k program, but really slowly. I have stuck with each session until i can manage it without wanting to die, even if that has taken a couple of weeks, before moving on. As other people have said, get good running shoes and have rest days. Also, look at where you are running. I run on grass or through the woods and I don't have problems, but in the winter when i had to run on roads i could definitely feel it more in my knees. I always notice if i don't stretch properly too.
    Just take it easy, start out slow and you will hopefully be fine. Good luck :)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Rest days and not trying to do too much too soon are more important than anything else. Try a running program like Couch to 5K (C25K) which has a schedule all worked out for you to help you build endurance while minimizing your chances of injury. You can find C25K phone apps and even "Zombies 5K" which has a storyline you get to follow along with while it also uses the music on your own phone. Also keep in mind that when you start running you want to run SLOWLY. Much more slowly than you think you should. If you can't carry on a conversation while you're running, you're going too fast.

Good luck!
  • lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    thanks all!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Good advice here if you want to start running now.

On the other hand, there is nothing wrong with waiting until you're at a lower weight to get started.

I'm a runner now, and the stress it puts on my body - which is at a healthy BMI - is high. I have battled a few injuries. After a mileage jump my hips and knees let me know they're not happy.

My point is just that, though I love running and feel downright evangelical about it, I'm glad I waited to start until I was closer to my goal weight. I had a lot of other things to do - group exercise classes, weight lifting, etc in the meantime. I'm grateful I chose to wait. That said, I do know a lot of heavier runners who love it and they are totally fine!
  • thatjosiegirl
    thatjosiegirl Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I agree with others take it slow and get good shoes! Don't be stupid like me and try to do too much at once, and then end up sidelined with multiple overuse injuries. :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • khoshgeleh16
    khoshgeleh16 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I started running at around 265 (I'm 5'8, currently in the 230s) and this is all pretty good advice. Build yourself up with a C25k, but don't be afraid to take rest days, go slowly, or repeat days that you find tough. And make sure you always warm up, cool down, and stretch, even on days when your runs are short and don't feel that serious.

The advice about running on dirt/grass paths is also really good - it definitely feels better to me. Trails > roads > treadmill, at least for my knees!
  • khoshgeleh16
    khoshgeleh16 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I agree with others take it slow and get good shoes! Don't be stupid like me and try to do too much at once, and then end up sidelined with multiple overuse injuries. :sad: :sad: :sad:

THIS THIS THIS. A friend of mine who did a 5k after only a week of running "experience" decided on a similar whim to run a half-marathon like a month later... and injured her hip joint to the point that her doctors forbade her from running for 9 months. Whereas I, who have gone the slow and steady route, have had considerably better injury luck. (A few sore/wonky knee days, which just mean I take a day off once in a while. Not the better part of a year.)