Kid Food

Options
2»

Replies

• Annesoucy1957
    Options
    different cultures, different ways of eating.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I don't have children but I notice when people become selective or picky on food it usually means they are not really hungry...I guess it may apply to kids, too?
  • lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I am trying a similar approach. I feel bad giving my son so much processed crap. Thats how I got fat, and I dont want to see him in the same boat. I would gradually get them away from that food and eat healthier as a family!!
  • lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    If you consider the food not healthy enough for you to eat, or at least not frequently, then it is time to stop having this food for your kids. What is not healthy for an adult, is even worse for a child.[/b]

I love this!!

I love this too! Do it as a family
  • ebbingfat
    ebbingfat Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids, but have you tried maybe making healthy alternatives to some of those foods? That way the kids wouldn't suddenly have to eat drastically different foods, and you could still eat what they're eating.

For example, instead of buying chicken nuggets, you could try making your own. I'm actually making myself some for dinner right now. Chop up a chicken breast into chunks. dip them in beaten eggs, press them into panko bread crumbs, and then bake. Tasty, and much healthier than the frozen, processed alternatives. Same goes for french fries. I just take a potato, cut it into strips, toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and then roast them.

There are also all kinds of healthier snacks out there, like avocado chocolate pudding. Put some avocado, cocoa powder, milk, and a sweetener (honey/maple syrup/agave) in a blender, and it comes out looking just like pudding, and tasting pretty darn similar. Your kids may like it, if you don't tell them what you put into it (haha).

There are so many healthy alternatives to old favorites. Try browsing the internet for some.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I was not brought up with 'kid food' I ate what the adults ate, maybe they will eat chicken and lettuce, have you tried?

Oh, at the fear of turning this into "another one of those threads", I agree. I grew up eating the same foods my parents ate ("normal", regular, scratch cooking, "healthy", "whole" foods, whatever you want to call it). I cook and feed my family the same way. Well, *I'm" fat now, because I learned that our college's cafeteria (returning adult learner) serves "awesome tasting 'kid' food" for cheap and I overindulged for 3 semesters :laugh:

I don't feed or buy things for my kids that *I* don't think are good choices. Period. And yeah, I'm the "evil" mom who sends my kids to school with veggies and hummus and fruit and yogurt dip for "birthday" treats. And the classrooms love it, because it's "different" and novel than the usual brownies and cakes.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I am new here and one of my biggest problems is kid food. It is always in my house, cooked, on the table or stove, and either will go in the garbage or in my stomach. (sometimes I do save it but they never eat it, and then it's there waiting for me at 10pm). By kid food I mean all the things adults do not/should not buy for themselves on a regular basis - mac n cheese, chicken fingers/nuggets, fish sticks, french friend/tator tots, meat ravioli, cheese tortellini with pesto sauce, hot dogs, carrots with butter, corn with butter and salt, granola bars, string cheese, Breyers Ice Cream, Gummies, peanut butter, american cheese, mountains of fruit - berries, grapes, bananas, ziti with sauce and ton of cheese, brownies for school, cupcakes for school, Nutella. And that is just off the top of my head. Slowly we are trying to get them off obviously bad things but my kids are both under 5 and they are not going to eat grilled chicken and lettuce wraps. Just wondering if anyone else has this as a huge temptation in their house.
    Just have to check here, if you think that food is no good for a grown-up, why is a kid eating it? I don't see much wrong with fruit or meat and cheese....
  • strawberrypopsicles
    Options
    hey dinosaur shaped chicken nuggets are a perfectly respectable meal
  • Ke11er
    Ke11er Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I have a 3 and a 5 yr old and over the past few months I've weaned them off of the processed food and snack food. I figured if I wanted to eat healthier I should instill this way of eating in my kids too.... cheese (the block kind, not string cheese) ... Take what you know they like and make versions that include more healthy stuff and exclude the high sugar, high calorie, high additives...

Just wondering, why would "block" cheese be healthier than string cheese?
  • Ke11er
    Ke11er Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I have a 3 and a 5 yr old and over the past few months I've weaned them off of the processed food and snack food. I figured if I wanted to eat healthier I should instill this way of eating in my kids too.... cheese (the block kind, not string cheese) ... Take what you know they like and make versions that include more healthy stuff and exclude the high sugar, high calorie, high additives...

Just wondering, why would "block" cheese be healthier than string cheese?

Kept searching, maybe it's higher in lactose? Here's a link to a brochure from the National Dairy Council....
    http://www.nationaldairycouncil.org/SiteCollectionDocuments/education_materials/cheese/Health Professional Cheese Nutrition Brochure Final.pdf
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    We have a ton of high calorie and calorie dense foods in our house that appeal to kids because my kids both struggle to gain weight. My daughter specifically was diagnosed "failure to thrive" due to her lack of weight gain. We weigh her once a week and I count her calories to make sure she gets enough.

So what do I do? Count my calories. Log EVERY thing. Work out more so I can eat more :) I have found that if I am not feeling terribly deprived in my own diet, it's way easier to stay out of the kids' stuff. And if I decide to have a treat, I fit it into my calories for the day.

Have you gotten her tested for Celiac disease? Many children with that diagnosis have Celiacs. Just a thought. :)
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids, but have you tried maybe making healthy alternatives to some of those foods? That way the kids wouldn't suddenly have to eat drastically different foods, and you could still eat what they're eating.

For example, instead of buying chicken nuggets, you could try making your own. I'm actually making myself some for dinner right now. Chop up a chicken breast into chunks. dip them in beaten eggs, press them into panko bread crumbs, and then bake. Tasty, and much healthier than the frozen, processed alternatives. Same goes for french fries. I just take a potato, cut it into strips, toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and then roast them.

There are also all kinds of healthier snacks out there, like avocado chocolate pudding. Put some avocado, cocoa powder, milk, and a sweetener (honey/maple syrup/agave) in a blender, and it comes out looking just like pudding, and tasting pretty darn similar. Your kids may like it, if you don't tell them what you put into it (haha).

There are so many healthy alternatives to old favorites. Try browsing the internet for some.

I wanted to second this - I make sweet potato "fries" for my husband and he loves them way more than regular French fries. Chop, toss in olive oil, salt, and pepper, and roast at 425-450 for 30 mins (I flip at 20).

AND, avocado pudding is DELICIOUS! Tastes way better than the original. It's so rich and chocolatey.