Netting only 1100??

Options
MFP says I should have 1200, but I eat 1100 and lose weight. I'm very petite, only 4'10, so is it unhealthy?

Replies

• cashewmill
    cashewmill Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I eat plenty of vegetables, fruit, and lean meats, and even my doctor says I seem healthy when I go to see him.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    1200 is an average, and at 4'10, provided you are very sedentary, you're probably fine at a hundred under.

This opinion brought to you by not a doctor, not a nutritionist, not anything but a random internet poster. Consult your real doctor before beginning any weight loss program blah blah.
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    MFP says I should have 1200, but I eat 1100 and lose weight. I'm very petite, only 4'10, so is it unhealthy?

Not necessarily. 1200 is thought to be the lowest calorie level for you to get all your recommended daily micro-nutrients from food. There are too many factors to consider without full metabolic testing, TDEE, BMR, etc etc. If you feel fine, have energy, and good blood panels at your next doctor visit, I'd say you're probably fine. Being a woman, maybe ask your doctor about supplementing calcium and other nutrients you may be lacking on such a low calorie intake.
  • kjarvo
    kjarvo Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I just did a test on this http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Healthyweightcalculator.aspx and the British NHS recommends you go under the deadly 1200 :0 for your height to lose weight (eat 1171-1505 for 1 pound overweight for an inactive person aged 25). However, it goes up to 1259-1618 for a bmi of 29.2 though. It's only 100 calories, but how much have you got to lose? How about losing a bit less a week?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Not necessarily. 1200 is thought to be the lowest calorie level for you to get all your recommended daily micro-nutrients from food. There are too many factors to consider without full metabolic testing, TDEE, BMR, etc etc. If you feel fine, have energy, and good blood panels at your next doctor visit, I'd say you're probably fine. Being a woman, maybe ask your doctor about supplementing calcium and other nutrients you may be lacking on such a low calorie intake.

OP is "netting" 1200 so I am assuming she is eating more than 1200 but also exercising. It's hard to know for sure though but if that is what she is doing, there is less of a concern about too few nutrients.

MFP won't go below 1200. 1100 isn't necessarily unsafe to net, particularly for those who are petite and not active.
    I really can't answer the question though, I have no idea how active you are or how much you are actually eating.
  • cashewmill
    cashewmill Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I usually eat around 1300 and then do gymnastics for a bit ^^