Question Setting up Fitness Profile

FireStorm1972
FireStorm1972 Posts: 1,142 Member
Ok since I'm new here, I'm trying to figure out my activity level and whether my daily exercise routine is included into my allowed calories. I'm mostly on my feet during the day ( Field repair Tech). Since the beginning before joining here I just plucked 1500 calories as my daily allowance and have been loosing weight from there out, 67ish pounds in the last 4-5 months. Its working but am I starving my body as I see in some posts on here? And should I be eating my exercise calories back? I do get dizzy going from a squatted position to a standing position but I think that's due to my High Blood meds not being changed due to my weight loss.

Thanx for the help on this.

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    The closer you get to goal, the more slowly you lose. That's just the way the human body works. With only 36 lbs. to go (congratulations on your loss!), set your goal to lose 1 lb. per week. In another 11–16 lb., set your goal to .5 lb. per week. The smaller deficit will also help you transition to maintenance.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

MFP is set up in such a way that you must eat back at least a portion of your exercise calories. Your calorie goal is your activity level minus your deficit. (The deficit for 1 lb. per week is 500 calories per day.) The burns are only estimates, so some people reduce the margin of error by eating back half their exercise calories. It will take trial & error to find what works for you.

Work (including housework, yard work & child care) is part of your activity level. Only workouts should be logged as exercise.

Edited to add please see a doctor about your dizziness!
  • Listeninguponyou
    Listeninguponyou Posts: 507 Member
    After reading many many many different articles on MFP I've come to the conclusion that you should eat back burned calories so that in the end you will have muscle. Always make sure to stay hydrated too! I'm not sure about the exercise thing,but I know that MFP has an exercise log and it does want you to burn a certain amount of calories to lose weight through whatever exercise amount you put (time plus workouts per week). Hope that helps, sorry if any information is incorrect.
  • I am new also. I believe when you post your exercise for the day, your daily calories are added back in according to how many calories you burned. I think that is how it works.:smile:
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    You should eat back about half of those exercise calories. People tend to underestimate how much they've eaten and overestimate how much is burned. You don't want to eat back too much and hurt your weight loss but eating too little can cause mood problems, dizziness, etc. It's about finding balance, losing weight and still being healthy.
  • FireStorm1972
    FireStorm1972 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Thanx all. I was always wondering about my set 1500 calories. I'll try eating half my exercise calories for awhile and see how it goes.
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 683 Member
    Id say youre active if that helps