Chia Seeds, Hemp, and Flax

Options
rebprest
rebprest Posts: 149 Member
We just got a new "health food" store in my area and I was like a kid at christmas with their bulk bins. Now I have hemp, chia and flax seeds and I'm not sure what to do with them. I get that you can toss them all in smoothies, but I can only have so many smoothies. If you eat these foods, what are your favorite ways to have them?

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    In to hear the hemp ideas since I have a packet I haven't opened yet. Chia I make a pudding with. Soak it in milk till it swells up and then add cocoa or coffee etc.. and whatever sort of sweetener you like.
  • Kakeslyn
    Kakeslyn Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I usually add my chia seeds to some yogurt and eat them like that. I've made a pudding with them once and it was tasty. very-hungry.gif
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds are great in oatmeal or to make puddings. Flax seeds also go into smoothies or cereals really well. It's also a great substitute for egg in baking recipes. Hemp seeds are also supposed to be quite good in baked goods or on top of salads, etc. Enjoy trying new recipes! :)
  • 2balletgirl
    Options
    Hemp and flax seeds are good on cereals. I add all of these seeds to my homemade granola, which I usually sprinkle on Greek yogurt.

Hemp hearts can also be used as an alternative to meat in some dishes. Some of my favourites are fettuccini with hemp "bolognaise" and watercress tuna casserole with hemp. This might sound kind of weird but it's really good!
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    My current favorite recipe:

1/2 c peanut butter
    1 to 1 1/3 c. Oats
    1/4 c. Honey
    1/2 c. Ground flax or chis seeds (I haven't personally tried hemp with this recipe, but you could try out)

Combine ingredients, adding enough oats until mixture is crumbly, but holds together when pressed. Roll into balls, 1 tbs. each (i use a rounded tbs measure for this) Refrigerate until ready to use. They are about 75-80 cal each, great for snacking.
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I put flaxseed in my cereal and oatmeal daily. Also in smoothies. Also on salad.

I put hemp seeds on salad.

I make overnight oatmeal with chia seeds. Also toss in smoothies (put in night before with milk or water to allow chia to plump up)
  • rebprest
    Options

1/2 c peanut butter
    1 to 1 1/3 c. Oats
    1/4 c. Honey
    1/2 c. Ground flax or chis seeds (I haven't personally tried hemp with this recipe, but you could try out)

Combine ingredients, adding enough oats until mixture is crumbly, but holds together when pressed. Roll into balls, 1 tbs. each (i use a rounded tbs measure for this) Refrigerate until ready to use. They are about 75-80 cal each, great for snacking.

Um, YUM. Definitely trying this!
  • woodml1
    woodml1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I like...

whole flax seeds on top of turkey meat loaf
    ground flax seeds in the breading for baked chicken
    pomegrante chia fresca... (1/4 cup POM juice, 1 T chia seeds, 8 oz water - chill in the fridge overnight)
  • Lesleycali
    Lesleycali Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    make granola!

oats, dried fruits, seeds, oil, honey, nuts, roast and yum!
  • Lesleycali
    Lesleycali Posts: 236 Member
    Options

1/2 c peanut butter
    1 to 1 1/3 c. Oats
    1/4 c. Honey

dear god that sounds good :love:
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Sprinkle chia seeds on top of salads. Cook any into oatmeal or other hot cereal (grits, farina, etc). I run my seeds through a coffee grinder for a couple seconds before adding them to most things, although on top of salads they're really pretty whole. Put chia in the bottom of a drink and let them soak to get something like a Boba Tea. Add a little bit to baked goods recipes.
  • sheschemes
    sheschemes Posts: 67
    Options
    Did you buy flax seeds whole or ground? If you bought them whole you'll want to grind them to get the biggest benefit. They make smoothies really thick. For me personally, the full 2 tbsp serving size makes smoothies tastes like bread. Ick. I keep it to .25 tbsp per smoothie and add a bit of water to thin it out.

I do like putting flaxseed meal on top of salads with dressing. That peanut butter recipe looks delicious!
  • rebprest
    Options
    Did you buy flax seeds whole or ground? If you bought them whole you'll want to grind them to get the biggest benefit. They make smoothies really thick. For me personally, the full 2 tbsp serving size makes smoothies tastes like bread. Ick. I keep it to .25 tbsp per smoothie and add a bit of water to thin it out.

I do like putting flaxseed meal on top of salads with dressing. That peanut butter recipe looks delicious!

I bought them whole. Hopefully I can grind them in my coffee grinder or my blender and try them that way.
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I literally just ate my first ever chia pudding. It was really nice!

I used 3tbsp of milled chia seeds, 1 cup of milk, 1tbsp nutella and 5g of cocoa. Blended it all up and left it to set for about 8 hours in the fridge.

The only thing I would say was it was still a little runny, not a lot, kind of custardy but not as thick as I was expecting so might add 4tbsp of seeds next time.
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Chia, flaxseed & quinoa (I realize you didn't ask about quinoa but it's one of my 3 key ingredients-C,F, & Q) go in my kale smoothies together. Also eat chia & flaxseed atop oatmeal/sometimes together, sometimes only one of them. Chia rocks the oatmeal more than flax but they are good together, too. Usually I drink my vegan (hemp-based) protein--Sunwarrior. Chia is so versatile you can almost do anything with it. Cool to see the other ideas, I'll try some. Very versatile healthy seeds!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal, cream of wheat/rice, yogurt, pudding, salads.
  • Praying_Mantis
    Praying_Mantis Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Haven't yet tried chia or hemp, but for the flax: Once you've milled (ground) it, you can add to virtually anything. I put milled flax in my banana bread recipe, cookies, spaghetti sauce while it's simmering, cereal , oatmeal, and really most things that I bake with flour. Even the homemade dog treats got some flax!

Enjoy!
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I put a tablespoon each of chia, flax and hemp seeds in my smoothie every morning. It's become so regular, I've even streamlined the process by putting a tablespoon of each into ziplock storage bags. I load up about 10 bags at a time, then keep them in the freezer so they're ready to go.
  • CuteMonkeyGal
    CuteMonkeyGal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    In for ideas! :)
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    If you run out of eggs you can make a flax "egg". Just soak a tbs of flax in a small amount of water for a few minutes and you can use it as an egg substitute in baking.

You can add these seeds to breads too. I usually have one of these in the house, whether it's for a recipe, bought by me, or one of my daughters bought it for their latest "Heath" kick. Tbh, I don't really use them that much.

Except hemp. Hemp is just nice to snack on or sprinkle on salads.