What you do if you overate?

Options
2»

Replies

• smokinkudzu
    smokinkudzu Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    i try to at least be aware of what triggered me to want to overeat, and avoid it in the future. otherwise, i treat it like any setback--regroup and continue the mission
  • ThisBadBitch
    Options
    That's exactly the way to do it. Before I started losing weight and changing my eating habits I let myself know that It is a really hard thing to do. The fact that I'm even attempting to be healthier and exercise is amazing! I'm so proud of what I've accomplished so far that when I eat something I'm not supposed to I just say, ill try harder tomorrow. Its not going to kill me and at least I'm not eating like that all the time. I can now recognize a bad choice in eating and learn from it. When I screw up like that it also gives me motivation the next couple of days at the gym!

I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't beat yourself up there's always tomorrow! Besides, usually when I overeat or eat something I'm not supposed to its because I am actually hungry. Listen to your body! If you have to choose between not going over a made up cal limit and a growling stomach, just eat. Something healthy that your body is asking for! Go outside for an impromptu run or walk with the extra energy you've now consumed.

I hope this helps someone! Have a beautiful day.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Husna. If it is a routine issue, exercise is the best counter solution. By exercising, you burn extra calories. Those who are smaller in stature really need to factor exercise into their equation because it really does not take that many kCal to gain with shorter stature. If it is an occasional issue, don't worry about it. Best wishes for every success.
  • dcnemesis
    dcnemesis Posts: 31
    Options
    Welcome!

I seem to undereat at every meal except dinner,where I grossly overeat (especially with family or in a social setting).

I typically feel guilty day of and that used to be it. Since I've committed to this weight loss and realized how overweight I really was when I didn't pay attention and enjoyed myself when I wanted (sounds sad...) I now feel guilty night of and next day consider it a new day but tend to put that extra effort into working out or just pushing myself that little bit harder...hoping that next time I am eating or overeating I remember that extra work and say eff it I'm stopping even though I'm not full.

Oh I also tend to drink more green tea after overeating thinking it will help my metabolism :D
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I reduce my calorie intake a little bit, or just workout out harder the next day.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Nothing. Move on. This is not a diet for me… it's a lifestyle change. So, I just move on. Unless you eat 3500 calories OVER maintenance, a binge will not even add a pound. Don't stress about it. So you're not perfect… welcome to life… Neither are any of us.
  • estaticaa
    estaticaa Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Overeating occasionally is not the end of the world, when you are consistently eating as you should the rest of the time. Just forgive yourself and move on. I personally don't change anything, I just carry on as I normally would on a regular day. It's worked so far for me!
  • KaelaLee88
    KaelaLee88 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I clean-up after the cheat meal (wash-up and scrub the kitchen - light a candle to get rid of the smell of the food) and then I get back on the horse!

I tend to drink more water the next day as the food I tend to crave has higher fat and salt content which dehydrates me.

Kaela x
  • fr053n
    fr053n Posts: 2,793 Member
    Options
    Pound my *kitten* in a long workout
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    If I overeat in one meal in a day, I'll adjust my calories for the rest of the day to try to stay within my goal. If I'm over for the whole day, then the next day I'll be back to my normal calories. If I'm over for the whole day early on in the day and I get hungry again later, I'll eat high protein low fat low carb foods, so I still get enough protein in avoid hunger (which is likely to lead to me overeating on carbohydrates even though I'm already in surplus). Also, I might do some extra exercise to burn off extra calories. But only within the same day. For me, doing extra exercise to compensate for overeating or to earn more calories to eat more isn't something that will mess with my head or cause me to get into any negative cycles. But in terms of the next day, being hungry leads to unplanned snacking which leads to being way over on carbohydrates, so restricting the next day is likely to cause a cycle of excessive restriction and overeating. If I happen to not feel that hungry the day after overeating (which sometimes happens), then I'll just let myself be under on my calories but I won't make myself go hungry.
  • lightandflight
    Options
    I overate by about an extra 2,000 calories on saturday, and I made sure that I tracked every last one of them. It was super painful, but I did it anyway. Then on Sunday, I made some pretty bad choices too, but I didn't go over calories, and today I tried to make better choices and I came in with my regular calorie count again.

I feel like its important to count calories on the days you binge and overeat ESPECIALLY. That's when you need that data to be super honest with yourself.

Later go back and figure out WHY you overate (I went to a baseball game with a friend who I generally eat too much and drink too much around), then come up with a strategy for what to do if you end up in a similar situation, and then get back to normal.
  • xDawnsgrace
    xDawnsgrace Posts: 436
    Options
    I overate quite badly Friday. Like, I binged. Probably got near 4,000 calories (If I'm lucky). That being done, I fasted most of Saturday and had about 1,000 calories total and was very active. Sunday was Father's day and I had family over and my children, so I done goofed again. I'm trying to fast the entirety of the day today.

I figure the idea that our bodies operate on a 24-hour clock is just our imagination and that if I ate an excess of calories yesterday that my body can survive off of them today. Hopefully I'll be strong-willed today and just be fine with proper hydration. Hopefully I'll learn my lesson that the holes I'm trying to fill with food are naught but emotional.

friend, fasting to compensate for overeating is not good. It can lead to more overeating and bingeing.
  • lightandflight
    Options
    Also, I've heard of people using a weekly average instead of a daily count. It might make you feel better to distribute your excess calories over the week and do it that way.

For example, my MFP says I should eat 1200cals, but I usually eat closer 1400 because of exercise etc. So 1400calsX7days/wk=9800calories/wk.

So when I overate and had 2,852 calories I can just put that into the daily average and see where that goes.
    (Take your (9800)cals/wk-(2852)binge=6948cals then divide that by 6= 1158 cals/day that week).

I would probably add an extra 100cal workout per day so I could eat a little more than that projection, but you get the idea. You can do that with planned "cheats" too, if you are going to a party or something and can plan ahead.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I usually have my day planned out in advanced so I know rough amounts of what I will be eating. I don't typically go way over unless I am having a "bottomless pit" day where no matter how much I shovel in my mouth I am still starving. Those days I try to make good choices, but the calories go over and I am okay with it. I've learned that it doesn't have to do with my self control, but is how my body tells me I've been too low on calories over some amount of time.

Days where I just say screw it and eat all the foods I want regardless of nutrition and actual hunger, those days are few and far between so I just go with it. I've been in the calorie/food tracking mindset for over 2 years now. One day won't hurt anything if I keep it to one day and don't let it turn into a string of days or weeks.
  • dearannna
    dearannna Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    ...go for consistency over perfection.

If you're looking to change your eating habits long term then this is the most valuable piece of advice I've read. Think about how much good one day of healthy eating will do in a month where you spend the rest of the time making poor choices - not a great deal!. One day of poor choices in a month of health eating will do the equivalent amount of damage. Your consistent behaviours over a long period of time are what is important and will determine whether you lose, maintain, or gain weight, not the occasional splurge (or occasional salad!)