Are modified "girl" push ups just as effective

Options

Replies

• PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I do modified pushups, wall pushups, because of a bad chest injury. Feels effective for me, for my arms and chest anyway.
  • maffrizzle
    maffrizzle Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Take a look at this thingy I have.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8D-ql13sBpjNmpXTnZwM2hFRjA/edit?usp=sharing

They're not as effective, they're called 'box' push ups there.

For bodyweight stuff you really have to be progressing in difficulty of exercise. On that thing box push ups are the 2nd easiest variant. Then regular push ups are the 5th most. I think there's ten or so in total.

I know a lot of people who think women only ever have to do box push ups, like they're specially designed or something. Really you should just pick an exercise and start at whatever level you're capable of, no matter how low/high, and progress from there.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Well, they're easier, right? Is any "easy" exercise as effective as its "hard" alternative? No, of course not. They can be effective, but the standard full push-up is the most effective form of that exercise. Well, that's not true, but they're definitely more effective than half push-ups.

I used to not be able to do any full push-ups, and now I can do over 20 in one set. Just work your way up. There are push-up challenges on the Internet, I'm sure.

I don't believe we should settle for the modified version of any exercise unless there's some legitimate reason why we can't do it. I think a lot of women do half push-ups because they don't THINK they can do the real stuff, even though they've never really tried to do it or gave it a good effort. It's a great place to start, but you want to eventually challenge yourself to do the real thing.

I've definitely tried to do regular pushups. When I do them they're basically like shaky planks.

What happens when we assume?

So you just give up? Try once, twice, a few times and then throw your hands in the air and say, "*kitten* it" without even putting in a good effort to build yourself up to the real deal? Like I said, I couldn't do them at one time either. Now I can. Building strength is key. I'm not one to try something, see I can't do it, and then just settle for the easier version. I strive to do the hardest version, and I'll do what it takes to get there.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    First off, it's not a "girl" push-up. It's a modified or assisted push-up. Second, you gotta start somewhere. Most training videos/programs will explain to start with this type of modified push-up if you can't do any or only a few regular push-ups. And in regards to incline, they are better, put still a little tougher for some.

Thank you! I was just going to say something about the "girl" pushups.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Well, they're easier, right? Is any "easy" exercise as effective as its "hard" alternative? No, of course not. They can be effective, but the standard full push-up is the most effective form of that exercise. Well, that's not true, but they're definitely more effective than half push-ups.

I used to not be able to do any full push-ups, and now I can do over 20 in one set. Just work your way up. There are push-up challenges on the Internet, I'm sure.

I don't believe we should settle for the modified version of any exercise unless there's some legitimate reason why we can't do it. I think a lot of women do half push-ups because they don't THINK they can do the real stuff, even though they've never really tried to do it or gave it a good effort. It's a great place to start, but you want to eventually challenge yourself to do the real thing.

I've definitely tried to do regular pushups. When I do them they're basically like shaky planks.

So you just give up? Try once, twice, a few times and then throw your hands in the air and say, "*kitten* it" without even putting in a good effort to build yourself up to the real deal? Like I said, I couldn't do them at one time either. Now I can. Building strength is key. I'm not one to try something, see I can't do it, and then just settle for the easier version. I strive to do the hardest version, and I'll do what it takes to get there.

Hmmmm... where did I say I gave up? Lots of assumptions this morning.
  • Philp0718
    Philp0718 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I go back and forth. I'll do as many as I can regular, then modify (on knees) as needed, then I'll hop back up on my toes and continue. It's helping and I've notice vast improvement from before - I can last longer on my toes before modifying and moving down to my knees, soon, no more knees!
  • EverSinging
    EverSinging Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Wondering if I should include them in my workout. I can not do regular push ups at the moment

Definitely include them! You have to work at your own level and keep improving. So they're absolutely beneficial.

You are much better off doing modifications with perfect form in my opinion, than you are doing sloppy half versions of the real thing.
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    There are push-up challenges on the Internet, I'm sure.

http://hundredpushups.com/
    This one took me a few months but it got me from 5 push-ups to 110

thanks for this link! gonna try this one
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    The exercise that you can do and do regularly is always more effective than the exercise you never do.
  • doodie1969
    doodie1969 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Just read an article on this, and yes, it says they are actually just as effective, because you tend to keep better form while doing them. So go for it
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options

There's also a lot of getting defensive for no reason, but you didn't hear me whining about it. Moving on...
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    When I started learning to do push ups, I did 5x5 against a counter top, 3x a week. Then I moved to my staircase and did 5x5 3 times a week on the fourth step up, and then moved down one step each week until I was on the ground. Then I started increasing the difficulty by elevating my feet about 6 inches each week.
    twins

Crept I am only on 2 regular push-ups in a row...but I am getting there.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Just read an article on this, and yes, it says they are actually just as effective, because you tend to keep better form while doing them. So go for it

article is wrong.

It's extremely time consuming in terms of training to be doing a modified on the knee push up training to get to the standard un-mod push up.

And some women can do high double digits in to the 100's and still do not have the strength to do one single standard push up.

Doing modified knee push ups are a pale training substitute for doing wall or incline push ups- which challenge the rest of your body in the way that a wall/desk/stairs (i.e. some variation of INCLINE) push up will do.

Doing either incline push ups- or doing only the down portion of the push up will get you more results faster than doing knee push ups.

Also there is no such thing as a girl push up... there is a girl doing push ups- but nothing about a push up either modified, standard or advanced that requires a penis or a vagina- therefor it has no gender attached to it.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    When I started learning to do push ups, I did 5x5 against a counter top, 3x a week. Then I moved to my staircase and did 5x5 3 times a week on the fourth step up, and then moved down one step each week until I was on the ground. Then I started increasing the difficulty by elevating my feet about 6 inches each week.
    twins

triplets

I am down to an 8" incline - starting from the wall. I like these better than on the knees because the form is more comparable. Can't wait to be on the floor!
  • doodie1969
    doodie1969 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Looking at your pic, you are pretty slim, some people just can't do a normal push up at the beginning, because they have a lot more body mass to lift than others, i started off with modified push ups and worked my way up to regular push ups, I have lost 100lbs and have busted my *kitten* to do it, no gimics just hard work and determination, but having support and people to help you stay motivated helps also. I say that doing some exercise is better than none, and if modified is what they can do, then by all means start there.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    triplets

I am down to an 8" incline - starting from the wall. I like these better than on the knees because the form is more comparable. Can't wait to be on the floor!

giggity?giggity???
    Looking at your pic, you are pretty slim, some people just can't do a normal push up at the beginning, because they have a lot more body mass to lift than others, i started off with modified push ups and worked my way up to regular push ups, I have lost 100lbs and have busted my *kitten* to do it, no gimics just hard work and determination, but having support and people to help you stay motivated helps also. I say that doing some exercise is better than none, and if modified is what they can do, then by all means start there.

me being slim has about jack all to do with what we are talking about- but thanks for the compliment... I think.

I never said don't modify. I said THAT modification is the least effective and most time consuming in terms of the long term goal of doing a full push up. Doing inclines would have gotten you to the floor for a standard push up much sooner.

knee push ups have their place- but they are not the best tool for training someone up to a standard push up.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    First of, with any strength exercise, you have to select the proper resistance level to match your strength level. With weights that is easier, since one can just change weights. With body weight exercises, it is more challenging because the unit of resistance is your weight vs gravity.

Also, with any strength exercise, it is more effective to be able to go through a full range of motion. So performing the exercise the way it is meant to be performed, at a resistance level that matches current strength level, is the best approach.

With both of those things in mind, modified push ups can be very effective. Personally, I prefer having people do the full plank form and modify the incline rather that knee push ups. I think mimicing the "real" form as much as possible is the best way to progress. However, I also have the luxury of having a lot of resources to control the incline in regular, calibrated increments (Smith machine works quite well for this) which other people might not have. So I would never say that knee push ups are "wrong".

Trying to slop through a full-body, unmodified push up on the floor is just not that effective for most people. Seems to me, it's better to maintain good form from day one.

No matter how one starts, as always, you have to keep challenging yourself with progressively increasing resistance in order to make continued gains. That's true no matter what style of push up you choose.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    twins

triplets

it took me a long time, but the day I could do one was an amazing day.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

There's also a lot of getting defensive for no reason, but you didn't hear me whining about it. Moving on...

Defensive for no reason infers that you didn't suggest that she isn't trying to do harder pushups. Defensive for a reason is where she asserts that she is working toward doing more difficult pushups while you keep insisting that she is settling.

Just to clarify that minor point.

--Keep doing what you can do until you can do more. We don't all start out being able to do standard pushups. Just like anything else, practice will help you improve.