18 Ibs Lost, and no one notices

Options

Replies

• Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    People get used to seeing you as a certain "size" and if you have been like that for a while they don't see the loss.

From most posts that I read the number at which people start noticing is around 30.

The other thing is that if your clothes are loose fitting then people have a hard time noticing because of that too.

Keep going or change your wardrobe a bit. They will notice.
  • BrittanyMG3
    BrittanyMG3 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    It's like the quote:
    "It takes 4 weeks for you to notice your body changing,
    8 weeks for your friends to notice,
    and 12 weeks for the rest of the world to notice"

Hang in there! I've been there myself..actually it sounds crazy but I seriously didn't notice that much a difference on myself until I lost 60lbs. keep up the hard work and everyone will notice soon!
  • Bluebeccah
    Options
    I've lost 55lbs and thought no one was noticing because no one was saying anything. When they finally did start saying things (after about 40lbs) it was to ask me if I'm sick. The only thing I can guess is that I've been heavy all my life and now that I'm doing something about it, people think there must be something wrong. It's possible that people are noticing your 18lb loss, but are feeling uncomfortable about mentioning it.
  • MeowSkull
    MeowSkull Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. I'm 5'3 and have lost 27 pounds and no one has said anything.... my husband *knows* I've lost it so he compliments but apparently it's not noticeable :\

Frustrating but I know people will notice eventually. I'm doing this fully and totally for me but it's really awesome to get the compliments as well. It's encouraging and gratifying.
  • mom2aeris
    mom2aeris Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    It wasn't until I got to the 30 pound mark that people started noticing my weight loss, so you know. When you have quite a bit to lose, you can sometimes lose quite a bit without it making much of a difference. *shrugs* But I don't mind so much because my clothes fit better and I am feeling better and it's excellent. :)
  • hungryhungryheather809
    Options
    I had the same thing this past weekend - I've lost 28lb and no-one said anything. Then I thought:

i) I feel SO much better - fitter/trimmer and more comfortable

ii) I am the only one who is really concerned about how big or small I am

iii) I carry my weight very evenly and people in the past, when I have dropped weight before, have commented that they never realised that I was as big as I was.

iv) some people do not like making personal comments about weight for fear that 'Have you lost weight?' or 'Gosh you look great - have you lost a few pounds' translates as 'Before you were huge!'

We are a sensitive lot! Do this for you - others will notice how much more active/trim or glamorous you look in good time.

Congratulations on your 18lb loss :flowerforyou:

Couldn't have said it better!

I've lost 19lbs and even my husband hadn't noticed. He heard me on the phone with my sister talking about how much I had lost and realized I was just plugging along and not sharing it with him. I figured he'd notice eventually. He knows I'm watching what I eat and exercising, lol. Truly though, people will notice and start commenting at some point and that will feel nice, but you've got to do this for yourself :) Good Job!
  • RobPA1
    RobPA1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I posed the same question a week ago and got some great answers!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1310331-how-much-weight-did-you-lose-before-family-friends-noticed

One of the best points was that people will notice when you go down a size in clothes. If you are wearing the same clothes, it's hard to see a difference. When I was able to fit in size 38 pants (down from 42) again and wore them, almost all my family said something.
  • Daws387
    Daws387 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    This is all good feedback. As I recall, people began to notice once I initially lost 30 lbs last year, but I think it's because I was wearing the same clothes and they were loose. Once I bought proper fitting clothing I didn't get as many comments. Since then I lost an addtional 20, but then I regained 30 and then lost 10 again, so now I'm back to 30 lbs lost. Very few people noticed my most recent weight gain and loss.

To be honest, I didn't really like the attention I was getting for losing weight. Sometimes the attention can take away from your focus Also, I never thought of myself as a 'big' (although I was and still am technically overweight), I just wanted to become more lean. So a lot of the comments were a rude awakening that other people had considered me 'big' before the weight loss. They say you're not supposed to care what others think, but when you get comment after comment sometimes its tough to ignore. This is why I prefer no mentions at all. Plus, like some of the other posters said, I was doing it for me, not for anyone else. I was noticing my weight loss which was enough.

Good luck on your journey, keep up the good work :)
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    First, you should really be doing this for you...everything else is just secondary. OTOH, I lost nearly 30 pounds before anyone really noticed or asked.

Here's what's really interesting. In the year that I plateaued, I dropped 4inches everywhere and to people I looked like I was still losing weight.

I have been at my current weight for nearly a year and a half and too many people I still look like I'm losing weight. Granted, in the past year I've taken up running marathons and half-marathons and so that, by itself, will rearrange the body.

Still, the most important aspect is that you know it and how you feel, not whether others respond to your weight loss in a certain way.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Well, as somebody else already said, you might have lost it homogenously so that it isn't that noticeable; you should also consider that you might have lost a relevant amount of water weight at the beginning. It would be hard for me to recognize someone as smaller without seeing them wearing at least 1 size less in clothes... especially because looking thinner/chubbier is also influenced by clothing, shape, and also how often I see the person.
  • thinkelly
    thinkelly Posts: 2
    Options
    They may notice but not say anything. Sometimes i am afraid to ask someone if theyve lost weight.....thinking maybe they will they i thought they needed to lose weight, or they looked heavy before....
  • catb58
    catb58 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    People may be afraid to say anything due to how politically correct the world is becoming. Sometimes giving someone a compliment can get you in trouble. :frown: Or they may be worried that you're ill and it might make you feel bad.

The important thing is YOU know how much you've lost. You know you're looking and feeling better and that's what counts. :flowerforyou:
  • SuperHero_Girl
    SuperHero_Girl Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Don't let what other people don't notice stop you - you're doing this for yourself anyways. If it makes you feel any better, it took until I lost about 85 pounds before people started really noticing and commenting on my weight loss and then the comments came so frequently that it became more annoying than it did flattering.
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    When I had lost 18 pounds, even *I* didn't notice it. No one else commented until I had lost about 40 pounds, and then the query was "Did you lose a little weight?" By that time, I needed new pants unless I wanted to look like those younger guys who wear their pants down at their knees.
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Who are you losing weight for? You or others? Be proud of you accomplishments and hold your head up high. I lost twice that before anyone noticed. And btw it took almost 50 pounds gone before I could see the loss myself.

Keep keeping on!
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I had a few good friends that knew I was trying to lose weight, so they would talk to me and encourage me the entire time. It took at least 40 pounds before someone at work that didn't know I was actively trying to lose weight to say something. He did say he noticed earlier, but didn't want to say anything because people can be very emotional about it. After he said something, it seemed like everyone started noticing. I also had an acquaintance ask my brother if I was losing weight because I was sick before he commented.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I lost 8,1 kg which is almost 18 pounds, and no one around me notices the difference..very frustrating!

HATERS+GONNA+HATE_05d460_3317189.jpg
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I've lost 20 pounds in all, with some ups and downs, and no one but my husband notices when I lose. However, people do think I've lost weight whenever I get a haircut or change my makeup - once even when I had gained weight but got some cute new clothes.

People just aren't very good at telling when someone has lost weight unless it's a huge amount. Even if they think you look better, they probably won't be able to tell what changed.
  • Giddyduck
    Giddyduck Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of the commenters. At my max (which I do not have written down anywhere), I was in the 190s and people are starting to notice now which is at about 35ish pounds.

I also would say that I have struggled with plataeu for months but continued to lose inches (probably gaining muscle) and thats when most people starting noticing. I think that as I was bigger I wanted to hide in lose fitting clothes. I can no longer wear them and was forced to get a few new things which assisted with people noticing. I was wearing 16-18s and just bought my first size 8. I have been avoiding shopping since I am still not at goal. Wearing improved fitting clothes does make a difference.
  • FaithfulJewel
    FaithfulJewel Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    My friends only notice when I suddenly go "I can feel my ribs!" while watching TV...

I don't expect anyone else to notice except my boyfriend :P

(I have also said "Oh good gods, I have a collarbone?!" and "Are these my hips? Crikey" and similar things. I am not used to it and I tend to say things I'm thinking out loud at odd times... XD )

What exactly do you want people to notice? Try a new, form fitting, dress or something - then people may comment. But if you're doing this just for the comments of other people, you're not setting yourself up very well for continued maintenance.