Red meat linked to cancer?

Options

Replies

• ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    And lets not forget that many cooked carbohydrates have acrylamide, which is also linked to cancer. So good luck avoiding all foods with a link to cancer. You can only wear your tinfoil hat so much.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    And lets not forget that many cooked carbohydrates have acrylamide, which is also linked to cancer. So good luck avoiding all foods with a link to cancer. You can only wear your tinfoil hat so much.

The air quality in many places isn't the best, either. Guess that means I should take up smoking and stand around in public puffing away? Who cares about those pesky laws, we all gotta die from something!
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    The air quality in many places isn't the best, either. Guess that means I should take up smoking and stand around in public puffing away? Who cares about those pesky laws, we all gotta die from something!

I puff on an electronic cigarette now and it is SOOOO much fun seeing the anti-smoking crusade get all up in arms whenever they see a puff of vapor float out of my mouth.

The rage is intense. Often they will start fake coughing as they walk over, scanning the crowd for children they can label as victims, searching for a manager or police office to stop the crimes against humanity I am perpetuating....

And then they hop in their SuV to drive home as I ride my solar powered electric bike home from the store.

The irony is strong with them....
  • Meerataila
    Options

I puff on an electronic cigarette now and it is SOOOO much fun seeing the anti-smoking crusade get all up in arms whenever they see a puff of vapor float out of my mouth.

The rage is intense. Often they will start fake coughing as they walk over, scanning the crowd for children they can label as victims, searching for a manager or police office to stop the crimes against humanity I am perpetuating....

And then they hop in their SuV to drive home as I ride my solar powered electric bike home from the store.

The irony is strong with them....

Haha. Evil. But funny. I already know how to spot those. Point still stands though. You can't have everything safe as houses (and let's not even get into volatile organic compounds and indoor mold) but people really do need to pay attention to reputable studies on these issues, and at some point (sooner rather than later I hope) it's time to do something about it. Because the companies sure won't. They can't. They're all about profit. By law.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I'm new here but I'm curious to see what people think about this. I found this study (http://www.truthlyapp.com/truths/277) that linked red meat to cancer, and then I found several more on pubmed that came to very similar conclusions. Has anyone decided to make a switch because of these new studies? What meats do you primarily eat? I'm a total sucker for burgers and steak so I need some new ideas! Thanks!
    [/quote

I mostly eat red meat. Steaks, beef liver, roasts, burgers, etc...............

I think quality of the meat has more to do with this than the red meat itself. I purchase grass fed, pastured beef from local farmers.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    If I remember this study correctly, the numbers looked scary the way they stated them, but when broken down, the risk, if it is causation and not correlation, was a tiny fraction of a percent higher than for a non meat eater.

But then again, now that some farmers can't afford corn and are feeding their cows chocolate sprinkles and cookies, who knows what will happen?

If nothing else, wouldn't surprise me to see them breed some extra-super strain of e coli from that.

Corn is not part of a cows natural diet either...................grasses are what nature intended for cows to eat.
  • Meerataila
    Options
    If I remember this study correctly, the numbers looked scary the way they stated them, but when broken down, the risk, if it is causation and not correlation, was a tiny fraction of a percent higher than for a non meat eater.

But then again, now that some farmers can't afford corn and are feeding their cows chocolate sprinkles and cookies, who knows what will happen?

If nothing else, wouldn't surprise me to see them breed some extra-super strain of e coli from that.

Corn is not part of a cows natural diet either...................grasses are what nature intended for cows to eat.

I know, and I've been reading that this may be increasing e coli. But I admit, I didn't go digging into that theory for peer reviewed studies or anything.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'd rather live a short life with cancer than a long one without steak.

seriously.

life without steak isn't worth living.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

I know, and I've been reading that this may be increasing e coli. But I admit, I didn't go digging into that theory for peer reviewed studies or anything.

Yes, e-coli contamination and lets not get into the CAFO's and factory farming and the increases that causes with the cows being practically forced to stand on top of one another.

Mad cow disease is linked to the CAFO's also.
  • Meerataila
    Options

Yes, e-coli contamination and lets not get into the CAFO's and factory farming and the increases that causes with the cows being practically forced to stand on top of one another.

Which reminds me. When Americans collectively get fed up enough to get our collective heads out of our collective butts, the first demand should be independent researchers doing independent studies on food and drug safety issues. And an end to the paid studies and the self policing all around.
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Haha. Evil. But funny. I already know how to spot those. Point still stands though. You can't have everything safe as houses (and let's not even get into volatile organic compounds and indoor mold) but people really do need to pay attention to reputable studies on these issues, and at some point (sooner rather than later I hope) it's time to do something about it. Because the companies sure won't. They can't. They're all about profit. By law.

That's why I'm an anti-capitalist revolutionary.

I think as long as we set people on a mad drive to collect little green pieces of paper and promise them sex and luxury in exchange for their efforts they will always be willing to make some pretty selfish decisions about what they are willing to do to get more of them.

Sadly, the idea of money is pretty well entrenched in modern society and as of yet no one has been willing to accept my hugs in exchange for food and shelter... except my wife, but she also makes me take out the garbage.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Breathing causes cancer. JS
  • Meerataila
    Options

That's why I'm an anti-capitalist revolutionary.

I think as long as we set people on a mad drive to collect little green pieces of paper and promise them sex and luxury in exchange for their efforts they will always be willing to make some pretty selfish decisions about what they are willing to do to get more of them.

Sadly, the idea of money is pretty well entrenched in modern society and as of yet no one has been willing to accept my hugs in exchange for food and shelter... except my wife, but she also makes me take out the garbage.

:laugh: So you noticed humans are basically short-sighted, greedy, nasty little creatures, too, huh? Gotta try not to hate ourselves anyway. Because our closest relatives are still in the poo flinging stages.

But you got a better deal than me so far. Even with taking out the garbage.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    The people who eat red meat are less physically active

Really? I didn't realize that eating meat suddenly shackled me to my sofa.... I mean, I have ground beef as part of my breakfast almost every day and occasionally have small steaks for dinner and I'm still knocking out hour-long workouts on top of walking around the office and taking my dog for daily walks around the neighborhood.
    ...and more likely to smoke.

Until that t-bone or hamburger is putting the cigarette in your mouth, you can't blame red meat for this.

That's not to say red meat cannot be consumed in a manner or amount that could be harmful, but we've got to look at the whole "correlation does not imply causation" issue.

Just because someone eats red meat and is physically inactive doesn't mean the meat's stopping them from going to the gym.
    Eating red meat and having a high BMI doesn't mean the meat is the only reason for the BMI.
    Eating red meat and smoking doesn't mean you get a pack of Camels with your ground beef.

It is, however, possible that individuals who do not take care of their bodies in the form of being inactive, having a high BMI, and consuming tobacco products could ALSO be in the group consuming red meat in a manner that is potentially harmful. But it's their approach to life that causes the harm more than simply the consumption of red meat.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Which reminds me. When Americans collectively get fed up enough to get our collective heads out of our collective butts, the first demand should be independent researchers doing independent studies on food and drug safety issues. And an end to the paid studies and the self policing all around.

Umm, silly question, if they aren't paid studies, who is going to do them? Independent researchers are not going to do them for free. People work to earn a wage not because they are bored and want something to do. Oh, I suppose the government could pay for it? Well not so sure that is the best idea either since supposedly industry owns our government as well. Big bad scary industry, I want to go hide under my bed. They give us jobs and put food on our tables. They help us earn money to buy houses, cars, food, vacations etc.....

I do not understand this criticism of studies because they are paid for by an industry that the study effect in a negative way. If they hire a 3rd party to do the study what is the difference. Now if it is the company itself doing the study then I can see there could be an issue but most of these are 3rd party studies that industry funds. Do you really think they stand over the author of the study and say, "umm, you cannot write that, I paid for this. Please disregard your findings and use this verbage"? Probably not.

I am more worried about the scientists involved with these studies that come with a biased opinions based on emotion.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

That is the problem. Americans don't really care. All they want is cheap, fake food to eat because it is heat and eat.

The masses are just sheep that buy into what the FDA and USDA have to say. They don't mind being controlled by the food manufacturers, Dow, Cargill, ADM and Monsanto.

Control the food supply and you control the people; that is what is happening in this country.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    There are many studies showing a correlation between cancer and red meat, but none confirming causation. But, there is enough correlation for concern IMO, so I don't eat red meat as often as I eat fish or poultry. But I do eat it. I limit beef and dairy most but that more of a taste preference. I much prefer venison or pork to beef and have never liked milk or cream much.

Two recent studies that particularly interest me are one where scientists think they have found a genetic link between processed meats and colon cancer. And another where scientists think they mave found a link between the iron in red meat and heart disease.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Pretty much being alive is linked to cancer...

I eat red meat, I eat poultry, I eat fish (like 3x weekly), and I eat pork...I also eat tons of veggies and 2-3 servings of fruit per day and in general just try to make pretty good dietary decisions and rock my fitness...from there, I just let things fall where they may. I'd rather just live life to it's fullest...we're all going to die eventually.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I'd rather live a short life with cancer than a long one without steak.

seriously.

life without steak isn't worth living.

Amen to that!!
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Yeah as someone else said, everything causes it. Even shampoo apparently. Just eat it in moderation, you'll be right.