Options

Replies

• QueenOSpades
    QueenOSpades Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jenniferagates
    Options
    I have used the zucchini as spaghetti noodles before. They are good! Just lightly sautée them with olive oil n whatever seasoning you want. I used garlic and Italian .
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    Chicken would be fine. Season it up with garlic, basil, and oregano to give it some Italian flair.

Canned tomatoes are fine... I won't judge.

thanks ! always looking for new ideas esp for things that i could use for lunches as well
  • fox2star
    fox2star Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Bump...sounds very interesting...I want to try it,
  • S_Murphree
    S_Murphree Posts: 94
    Options
    I've made something very similar and it's really good. Eggplant is good, also.
  • Muzica1959
    Muzica1959 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I don't care what you call it.. I have made this several times for my family over the past year and they LOVE it. I also make what I call Zuccghetti and another dish I call Fettucini Al Frednot. These are wonderful alternatives to their higher fat and calorie counterparts.
  • Muzica1959
    Muzica1959 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Maybe the OP should have called it Lasachini lol. that is what my family calls it.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Hmm, lasagna it is not. But, I don't like pasta (I know, I know, blasphemy), so I might give this a go (umm, but there will be cheese on top of mine, and italian saugage inside). A sort of zucchini parmesan meets lasagne-free lasagna.
  • chancie72
    chancie72 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I make a similar dish but it has more cheese and no meat (you don't miss it). I also do not peel the zucchini. one sixth of the recipe is 297 calories ..that's 1/6th of a 9X13 pan...pretty good portion. Just like REAL lasagna you can play with it and adjust it to your liking. It is really good :)

Recipe name Zucchini "Lasagna"

Number of servings 6

Ingredients Calories Carbs Fat
    Fresh Veg - Green Zucchini, Raw, 3 medium 93 24 0 Ico_delete
    Fresh - Portobella Mushroom, 0.25 container (8 oz.s ea.) 14 3 0 Ico_delete
    Generic - Onion Raw Chopped 1/2 Cup, 0.5 cup 32 8 0 Ico_delete
    Classico - Tomato & Basil, 1 container (3 1/2 cups ea.) 350 63 7 Ico_delete
    Great Value - Fat Free Cottage Cheese , 1 container (3 cup (116g) ea.) 540 42 0 Ico_delete
    Food Club - Mozerella Cheese Low Fat 2%, 0.86 cup 239 3 14 Ico_delete
    Sunny Farms - Large Grade A Egg, 2 egg 140 2 9 Ico_delete
    Generic - Garlic, 1 tsp 4 0 0 Ico_delete
    Blue Bonnet - Light Butter (Revised), 0.5 tbsp 14g 20 0 2 Ico_delete
    Cheese - Parmesan, grated, 0.5 cup 216 2 14 Ico_delete
    Great Value - Frozen Cut Leaf Spinach, 0.5 container (6 cups ea.) 135 18 2 Ico_delete
    Add Ingredient
    Total: 1,783 165 48
    Per Serving: 297 28 8
  • delazouche
    delazouche Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Mmm this sounds delicious! I make something similar with polenta: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/122512052338073915/
    I really want to try a version with meat though!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    This is not lasagna......

OH NO!! It's an impasta!!
  • bcattoes
    Options
    If you want a lower calorie pasta check out Fiber Gourmet brand. It's about half the calories of regular pasta.
  • sydneybc1122
    sydneybc1122 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    BUMP!BUMP! this sounds really delicious
  • NessaR2011
    NessaR2011 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I've done something similar using cabbage leaves!
  • sseqwnp
    sseqwnp Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Alrighty... I have to defend the title. I should have said "lasagna alternative" I freely admit, but let's not nitpick and just see it for what it is... An attempt to provide a healthy alternative to a favorite and delicious dish.

And Italians will not weep. Zucchini is an integral ingredient in Italian cooking. The lack of pasta in a layered dish is not a big deal for Italians.

Other answers:
    I do t recall where I originally got the recipe
    I use a 4x8 bread pan or 8x12 casserole pan with more layers on the bread pan
    4 oz of cheese and turkey each per zucchini is more than sufficient.

I'm curious to find out why you think lasagne is "not healthy"
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Alrighty... I have to defend the title. I should have said "lasagna alternative" I freely admit, but let's not nitpick and just see it for what it is... An attempt to provide a healthy alternative to a favorite and delicious dish.

And Italians will not weep. Zucchini is an integral ingredient in Italian cooking. The lack of pasta in a layered dish is not a big deal for Italians.

Other answers:

^^^^Thanks for sharing, OP!! I still think it sounds delish!! :smile:
  • bcattoes
    Options

Other answers:

I'm curious to find out why you think lasagne is "not healthy"

The post to which you replied does not say lasagne is "not healthy", it says the alternative is healthy.
  • mojojorox
    mojojorox Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I make mine this way because pasta bothers my stomach. I make a pan of ground turkey with half a can of tomato sauce, a can of diced tomatoes, celery, garlic, mushrooms and Italian spices and let that simmer for a bit. Then I do a layer of zuchini, one layer of light ricotta mixed with a egg, more zuchini, half the sauce, zuchini and the rest of the sauce. I top it with motzerella and Parmesan. It's delicious!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I hate zucchini, but I've often made lasagna with eggplant instead of noodles. I have a veggie slicer that makes nice, uniform slices. You do want to salt and drain the eggplant so it's not bitter, and then just layer with the meat and cheese like normal. I think the flavor melds much better than the zucchini does.