Feeling sick after eating "junk" foods

Options

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    So you are saying that you ate a piece of a cookie and felt ill?

I am sorry, but no change in your diet would result in a piece of a cookie making you sick. A dozen cookies? Yes. Less than a whole cookie? I am incredibly skeptical.

This x100.

Everyone is different. You shouldn't judge. I believe OP.

I am not shocked by this post at all.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    i once looked at a carb and got fat.
  • wheird
    Options

Should look at a sweet potato and some brown rice to balance it out and make it healthy.
  • jtrack3d
    jtrack3d Posts: 91
    Options
    If there was a long duration between meals and you eat sugarary food and feel nausea... real nausea and not a just that it doesn't taste good, then you could have pancreatic issues, aka, insulin resistance and possibly diabetes. Don't ignore those symptoms if you truly feel sick. You may have to relearn how to eat.

Other symptoms could include sweating and thirst or short moments of dizziness.

So, yes, it could be that you just don't like that taste any more...
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's 100% in your head. A cookie is just a cookie. Except then it's an evil demonically possessed cookie from hell that likes to hide under your bed and cut your ankles when you try to get up and pee in the middle of the night.
    tumblr_lxanldWCjK1r8x9t0o1_500.jpg
    Sweet dreams Lady...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    This sounds mental to me...my guess is that you probably don't really have that great of a relationship with food.
  • skullshank
    Options

Should look at a sweet potato and some brown rice to balance it out and make it healthy.

sweet potato implies that it's sweet, therefor sugar. it will make me feel ill, no doubt. i will throw up.
  • tamwins
    tamwins Posts: 22
    Options
    Wow, this explains a lot! I've been wondering why I've been feeling sick after eating certain foods. I've been scared of touching these foods because of how awful they made my body feel afterwards. I thought it was because I had a "sensitive stomach" or something like that, but that couldn't be it because prior to my diet and exercise change, I could eat a half a pie of pizza in one sitting (and not think much of it...). I remember the first time I had McDonald's after a LONG time with some friends. I love McDonald's (no shame) so I ordered my favorite thing from the menu: a Big Mac and fries. After I had that meal, I didn't get my usual content feeling that I would get before. I felt nauseous for days. I told my roommate and she was puzzled as well. When I think about that episode, I cringe at the thought of having McDonald's again.
  • tartansheep
    tartansheep Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    maybe gone off the taste??
  • catneon
    catneon Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    It's in your head....keep calm.
    and eat le cookie
  • krysannboggs
    krysannboggs Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    The first thought in my head was... are you pregnant? lol
  • da_bears1008
    da_bears1008 Posts: 354
    Options

but... sweet pertaterz is carbs... cookies is carbs... sweet pertaterz is cookies...
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Can't say I have the problem. I tend to "reward" myself for long bike rides with a mid-ride fueling of my favorite old fast foods. I normally go for the smaller servings and lower calories options but I feel dandy afterwards.

Yesterday I had two Jr. Bacon Cheeseburgers from Wendy's in the middle of my 50 mile ride. I think most of it has to do with what you think about the food you are eating. If you project negative feelings onto it you will react negatively when you eat it.

I've been skinny before so I know being slim has more to do with how much food I put into my mouth than what type of food it is. While it's easier to eat 2500 calories of cookies than broccoli, there's room for both in a healthy person's diet once they get some self control installed.
  • skullshank
    Options

but... sweet pertaterz is carbs... cookies is carbs... sweet pertaterz is cookies...

she gets it.
  • wheird
    Options
    Sure it isn't because you feel full after an 800 calorie day?

You may need a doctor, OP.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I still love all the foods. I don't have a weak stomach but I haven't eliminated anything from my diet either.

You're an excellent case against elimination diets, OP. Thanks for sharing. I'll be sure to regularly ingest to foods I'm likely to run across in the future (like soda and cookies in your case) in order to avoid this unfortunate side effect of extremism.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    your body (and taste buds) have adjusted to your new diet somewhat. i find that most of the things that i used to love to eat like chips and whatnot dont even taste all that great anymore. its an excellent sign really

this.

if you started drinking it in moderation again- you'd be fine.

It makes me bonkers when people cut out high fat foods- and then go get a burger or some other sort of "fast food" - get sick and uncomfortable and then label it JUNK and how horrible it is.

it has nothing to do with the intrinsic value of the food- only that you're body isn't used to the high fat content- of COURSE it's going to be upset. it doesn't mean the food is inherently bad.

makes me bonkers.

Exactly this. It's a different balance of macros that your body has gotten used to. I don't eat low-fat foods, but if I have a fried chicken, whether it be homemade or from Popeye's, you bet that I'm going to have a reaction within the next 12 hours!

And for what it's worth, my husband experienced a similar feeling when he started eating more vegetables instead of starches. His body just wasn't used to it.

It's also the change in the flora of the digestive tract. If you're eating a diet that largely consists of fruits and vegetables, your gut will have high populations of bacteria that are good at dealing with fruits and vegetables and low populations that are good at dealing with animal protein and fast. Suddenly introduce protein and fat back into the system and that low population will have a hard time dealing with the volume until their numbers adjust for the new food intake.

That's why drastic changes in diet are almost always accompanied by what I affectionately refer to as 'bubble gut' and frequent trips to the restroom.
  • jbalistriere
    jbalistriere Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I've been diabetic for several years but before I was diagnosed, I lived on Pepsi. A couple years ago, I ran into a blood sugar issue and Pepsi was what was available. I gagged. I am so used to to diet that it just was too much for me.

As far as foods making you sick... I love, love, LOVE, Q'doba. Love. A couple weeks ago, my husband surprised me and wanted to go there (score! everyone needs a night off!). Not even an hour later I was vomiting. A week before that, I went on a junk food binge (we were on vacation and it was fat kid in a junk food store... I saw it, I ate it. One night won't hurt) and, again, couple hours later, I was vomiting.

I truly believe that our bodies are constantly evolving. They are our temples. If someone tried to bring trash into your (mostly) clean temple, you're going to throw them out.
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    One word-psychosomatic

BTW your thread title made me think of this: Feeling my "junk" because I am sick.
  • RunnerStephe
    RunnerStephe Posts: 2,195
    Options
    Really?