Gastric Sleeve Patients?????

Options

Replies

• Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    VSG group, Sleevers and pre/post gastric sleeve groups are pretty active and full of good info. For WLS pts
  • jamit1978
    jamit1978 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, Kelly I just had my surgery Tuesday 6/10/14 and I have lost 5 1/2lbs since surgery and a total of 18 1/2 since deciding to get the procedure. Instead of the protein shakes I use a whey protein called nectar in a wild grape flavor which kinda tastes like kool aid without all of the sugar and I mix it with my water. What I'm having trouble with is a clear liquid soup that taste good so I find myself eating low sugar popsicles, watered down grape, Apple, and orange juices and my water with protein mix. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on good choices for this liquid diet period? I wish everyone who has had the procedure much continued success.
  • bridge299
    bridge299 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi everyone, my name is Bridgitte. I am going in for the sleeve on August 18th. I started my work out two weeks ago. My question is for those post opp, is there anything that you focused on or wish you focused to make your surgery successful? Right now my struggle has been chewing to apple sauce. I figure I have Time still. Any advice on what to focus on?
  • garner1998
    Options
    Hello, my name is Nancy. I had my sleeve on 6/9/2014, so Im not quite a week out. Wow, i cant wait for soft foods. I am drinking water, and crystal light with 100% Whey protein unflavored from GNC, this is the only Protein powder I can stand. Im getting in my requirements so far, Anyone want to friend me and support each other let me know. garner1998@rtmc.net or nancy hawk garner on Facebook good luck everyone. Im excited so far, no regrets
  • dstaylor
    dstaylor Posts: 1
    Options
    I had my sleeve 6/5. I feel great
  • bridge299
    bridge299 Posts: 3
    Options
    Would love to have some friends in the 40 year old stage for added support. I go in on August 18th. I am looking for people who will share their experience and always try to support with positive feedback. Looking for things that were helpful and things that were struggles. Thanks.
  • dixie70
    dixie70 Posts: 2
    Options
    I am having my surgery in August also. I am 43 and would love some help and encouragement also.
  • mam7474
    mam7474 Posts: 1
    Options
    3 weeks out….. call your Dr the goal is not the weight you lose it's health first and for most this isn't normal.
  • bwhitakwr13
    Options
    I had my gastric sleeve procedure on 5/21/14 I am dropping weight fairly slow. I WAS 5'10 240 LBS AND I have dropped to 218. I guess I thought it would be faster. My problem I am having is the last few days is not being able to have a bowel movements. This has made my stomach very slow and also difficult eating or drinking. Anyone Elsie had this problem?
  • stepholl
    stepholl Posts: 15
    Options
    I'm beginning to get nervous and exited. My surgery is on Wednesday. I started at 243. Today I am 232 from the pr op diet. How was the pain level?
  • vegasgirl44
    Options
    I had my band removed on 3/25 and sleeve done on 6/10. I feel fantastic. I think out of all three surgeries I've had, the sleeve was the easiest. I love the Chike coffee protein drink and have it every morning. I have chicken broth for lunch. Sometimes I will have half cup of Greek yogurt. I don't feel hungry necessarily, but I know that I need to feed myself. Sometimes I feel like I want to down a whole bag of crunchy Cheetohs. But I know it's only out of habit. I'm a little nervous about what it's going to be like to eat solids because I don't feel much restriction yet. I have to make it a point to make sure that I take my multivitamin and the B12 complex each day. I also use a probiotic powder in my protein drink each morning. And I also use Calm magnesium next to prevent leg cramps. I have been urinating frequently since my surgery but I'm guessing it's all water weight. Which has totaled about 7 pounds. I read somewhere that gastric sleeve patients will probably end up having a bowel movement every 2 to 5 days and that is probably my only concern. I bought some flax seed to eventually put in my yogurt to help with that but can't use it yet. I started out at 273 pounds. I was 266 day of surgery. I weighed in at 259 this morning. When I got my band, I weighed in at 330 pounds and I got as far down as 250 but I was never able to get any lower. I don't know if it was a mental block or my body wants to remain that weight? I am 5'7" tall. I am 53 yrs old. Today I feel about 75% better than I did before surgery. Even my face is clearer and softer. I am so fortunate that my insurance paid for me to have this done. I had my band done in 2008, I don't remember the sleeve being as popular. Plus I did not want anything so invasive because I don't have any health issues that would get better with the bypass. Anyway, good luck to everyone.
  • I am getting close to having the sleeve surgery. I am on the diet get lost what to eat help!
  • Egal14
    Egal14 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, I'm pretty new, had my op on the 14
    Basically 2 days out, haven't been able to keep anything down
    Drinking apple Juice, just trying to keep sipping
    Acid reflux, bad gas...basically with every sip I gag and burp
  • meeshapatel
    Options
    Hi all! Firstly massive congratulations to all of you with your amazing weightloss! I'm currently contemplating surgery through Dr Mannur (based in the London Clinic, recommended to me by every consultant I saw) but as I am only 18, I have to say im pretty terrified. I just wanted to know if you all had any advice or words of wisdom that you wish you'd known or been warned of prior to surgery?

P.s In case any of you are interested or based in the London area there is a support group being hosted on the 18th of June (2014) at Menzies in the Prince Regent Hotel, Manor Road, Chigwell IG8 8AE. It was recommeneded to me by Dr Mannur at our consultation last week and I thought I'd let you all know in case it sounded interesting to any of you!
  • wrigleyjane
    Options
    Hi I have a sleeve op arranged for the 26th June a week away, I have no support or family to help I am begining to get a little worried I would love to be intouch with people who have had the gastro sleeve op thanks Mandy
  • mbcaldwell123
    mbcaldwell123 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Eventually, you will break that habit and that is what it is...... a habit. I got the bad about 5 years ago. I am so grateful that I did it but it has been the 2nd hardest thing I've ever done in my life. Exercise is what has helped me the most. I have a personal trainer that is absolutely wonderful. I find that the harder that I work at the gym the "less good" that junk food tastes.
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Hi! Just had the sleeve a week ago. The desire to snack and graze is there, but you have to fight it! Make sure you are getting a ton of water. If you are hungry or craving food, it may be that you need more. This is what I eat when i want to pick:

1. sugar free popsicles. i eat them all the time. popsicle brand popsicles in cherry, grape and orange are the bomb, and really satisfying. also, they are superlow cal and count as water.
    2. broth - i am a broth addict, especially at night before bed. bouillon cubes in boiling water, with added onion powder and chili flakes are satisfying, but homemade broth is the best. i made lobster broth from leftover shells last weekend, and it is superb, and at 5 calories per cup, absolutely perfect. also, low cal and counts as water.
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    also, there is a WLS/VSG group on MFP. they are awesome for support and info.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I am Pat, had my sleeve done July 2011, so almost 3 years ago. There are 20 pages here now and I can't remember if I've posted on this thread or not, so if I have, please forgive the duplication. :smile:

I started this journey at 386 pounds. With a goal of 160, I had 226 to lose. You will see by my trailer here that I am not yet to goal. Before this discourages anyone, please know that some of us lose slowly and I am one of those. I also stall often and for weeks at a time. This is not uncommon, but it's also not what most people do.

That said, this is a great tool and I have no regrets other than wishing I had done this years ago. As we all know it's not the easy way out.

Sounds like a lot of us still have our "head hunger". You know, you want to eat even if you're not hungry, sometimes even if you are full, you just want to eat. I battle this one a lot. I find leaving a few calories for the evening and then a low calorie/high protein snack helps. If I don't have those things for that day, I concentrate on upping my water for the day. Can't fill up the tummy with water and then eat too, just doesn't work for me. And then there are the days when I'm not successful in the battle and give into the head hunger. I purposely keep low calorie/low fat/really won't hurt me things like popcorn around for those days.

Good luck to everyone! This is a journey well worth taking!

PS - Since this thread has been around awhile, I'm sure you all know that there are some specific groups for us. One is Sleever's and the other is VSG. Great groups.
  • rosesarered55
    Options
    Hi' my name is Kay. I'm scheduled for sleeve surgery next month. I have read a lot of your posts and they have answered many questions I have. I know I will be a success story too! I will definitely be coming back to read your stories and get support for the post operative journey.