Trigger Foods and How To Avoid Them Help

Options
JassiBear
JassiBear Posts: 268 Member
I need help on figuring out good substitutes for my trigger foods.
My trigger foods are usually pizza, donuts, cake/cookies/pies/baked treats, and potato chips. Does anyone know any good substitutes to these foods? What are your trigger foods and how do you derail the cravings without giving in? :/

Replies

• chessie1971
    Options
    I love all the food you mentioned and they can be very difficult to avoid. For pizza, I do like the Lean Cuisine pizzas as they can be a good subsitute when one has the cravings. I also like the Fiber One chocolate chip cookies as they can come in individual packages, which can help moderate your intake. For chips, I eat reduced fat kettle-cooked chips, reduced fat Lay's Chips, or baked chips. Be sure to monitor your serving size!

I think it is ok to satify your cravings every once in a while, but avoid the over indulgance. Good luck!
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I would recommend eating those foods in moderation so they don't become "trigger" foods
  • chasethesky125
    Options
    A lot of the times I get cravings because I see the food. So I just usually avoid my kitchen like the plague. But when I have reallllly bad cravings, I go out to the supermarket and buy a single serving of whatever it is. That way, it is impossible for me to over eat it. Usually when i try to do the substitution thing, I'll eat both the substitute and the real thing. Good Luck

~Rose :flowerforyou:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Pizza - make your own so you can control ingredients, size and calories. When ordering out - stick to thinner crust veggie pizza and order the smallest size. You can't eat an entire large pizza by yourself if you only have a small one.

Baked goods - again, make your own to control content. Add oats and nuts to make them more filling and slow digestion. It's usually the fast rise and fall of blood sugar that causes the desire to eat more and more. Slower digestion means no rapid rise/fall in blood sugar.

Potato chips - I don't know. I mostly just don't keep them in the house. I can't eat what's not there.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I would recommend eating those foods for breakfast.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I would recommend eating those foods in moderation so they don't become "trigger" foods

Generally, when someone says "trigger food" they mean a food they find it nearly impossible to eat in moderation. It "triggers" them to overeat. If you can moderate your intake then it's not a trigger.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Why can't you fit those foods into your daily calorie allotment?

My only "danger" food is peanut butter. I have a hard time controlling myself, so I make my fiance hide it. Other than that, IIFYM.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options

Generally, when someone says "trigger food" they mean a food they find it nearly impossible to eat in moderation. It "triggers" them to overeat. If you can moderate your intake then it's not a trigger.

So you learn will power and apply it to your life and grow as a person!? Just a thought, instead of avoiding the things you love...
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower. Cauliflower is an acceptable substitute for everything. Crunchy deliciousness that only KIND OF looks like a venereal disease.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I think you'll find most successful folks on MFP have found a way to eat these foods they love in moderation.
    Not that it's always easy, but it can happen.

Generally if you make something off limits, the moment you fall off the wagon you fall hard.

You really don't want to suffocate yourself in a life size box of cheez it.s
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Quit buying the trigger foods.

I can't buy things like chips and ice cream because I will eat ALLL THE THINGS nom nom.

ETA: Foods aren't the thing "triggering" you to overeat... it's yourself. Until you've made the commitment to fitting these foods into your daily calorie goal and holding YOURSELF accountable, you won't succeed.
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    You really don't want to suffocate yourself in a life size box of cheez it.s

... or do I?
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    You can make them fit in your macros for the day and still have them.

Less calories:
    Pizza - You can order with the thin crust and lots of veggies. Since I'm diabetic I make pizza snacks at home using a portabello mushroom cap as the "crust" and I add pizza sauce, garlic powder, mozzarella, and a couple pepperonis.
    Donuts - I don't have a sub for those. They are just sugary and good!
    Baked Goods - You can make your own at home and sub ingredients. apple sauce for the oil, splenda instead of white sugar, etc.
    Chips - Make at home but I'm not sure if they are going to be much lower in calories than the store bought version.

Pinterest has a lot of recipes.
    I make the regular stuff fit in my macros for the day and have still had weight loss success. Don't keep them in the house if you don't want to eat them or can't stop eating them. If you do, only buy a single serving of them so you don't overeat.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

Drivel absolute drivel.

The term "trigger food" is just another excuse to prevent someone to actually change and take control of their lives.

Time to stop making excuses!
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    Just eat breakfast.
  • da_bears1008
    da_bears1008 Posts: 354
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTl_WrDGrvAt6kNxZCLLq6gX8Q6d5AupzeRSgBxoee25ZoCXA7V
  • crossfire266
    Options
    Why do you want alternatives just fit them into your diet..
  • StazLR
    StazLR Posts: 3
    Options
    Edemame Beans??
  • Chicgeek88
    Chicgeek88 Posts: 10
    Options
    Have one day a week where you eat one of your "trigger foods" in moderation of course. Pizza is my favorite food and I use that as my motivation meal often. It helps me get through the week knowing I can have pizza on Saturday :) and before long you will not crave those foods. I used to drink 2-3 cans of Pepsi everyday and now it taste too sweet, I don't want anything but water.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options

Drivel absolute drivel.

The term "trigger food" is just another excuse to prevent someone to actually change and take control of their lives.

Time to stop making excuses!

QFT - hardest lesson I have learned, but so dam* glad I learned it. I had many trigger foods - now? I know how to manage my portions. Hard =/= impossible.