Is it possible to do it without surgery???

Options
It seems that when I hear about someone who has lost a LARGE amount of weight, it turns out that they have had weight loss surgery. Are there any success stories from someone who has done it the old fashioned way?? I need to know if there is HOPE.

Replies

• KimBledsoe
    Options
    Of course there's hope! It's one day at a time. Look at the Biggest Loser. I know they lose a lot of weight in a very short period of time, but they lose it without the benefit of surgery. I also understand that the average person will not have the luxury of devoting as much time to losing the weight as they do on the ranch, but it's possible to lose the weight on your own. Remember, we didn't gain it overnight and we won't lose it overnight.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    YES!!!! Surgery is not the best option, you see it on weight loss shows and I have met plenty of people who have had lap band or bypass and every single one of them say if they had it to over again they wouldn't have had the surgery they would have put a better effort into LEARNING HOW TO EAT AND EXERCISE! Not only are there other health issues that arise with surgery but it is not a permanent fix, if you don't learn to do it right you will put the weight back on.

Like KimBledsoe said, you didn't gain it over night and you won't lose it over night!
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    I lost 94lbs the 'old fashioined way'.

It can be done :)

Charmagne
  • jmelhouck
    Options
    It's very possible to do it without surgery. For example, when I went into the Marine Corps, I had to go in on a weight waiver. I was 260 lbs at 5' 10.5". Granted, the way I had to march, stand and sit, I ended up 6' 1" when I graduated (I slumped bad), but half way through, I was down to 154 lbs. By the end, I bulked up to 174 lbs thanks to muscle building. That was just 14 weeks!

Now, we don't have time to devote so much of our day to physical activity like the Marines or The Biggest Loser, but by eating healthy and getting regular exercise, we can lose natural amounts (1-3 lbs a week) and meet the goals. The heavier you are though, the more you will lose at first. Those last few pounds SUCK.
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Not only can you do it without surgery but you are better off without surgery.

Weight lost slowly in the proper way is more likely to be kept off.

It's going to be hard, and it will take time but your far better off that way.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of people on this site that have lost over 100 pounds with just diet and exercise. I expect to lose that much eventually.
  • triton4u
    Options
    But of course you can do it with out surgery. Me and my wife are using the South Beach Diet that was recommeded by my heart doctor. I have lost 15 lbs and my wife has lost 27 lbs. So stay motivated and you will lose the weight you are looking for.
  • kettlewitch
    kettlewitch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I certainly hope so! I've just turned surgery on the NHS down
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I lost 94lbs the 'old fashioined way'.

It can be done :)

Charmagne
    Fantastic! I hope I can be as successful as you have been! :happy:
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I've been in a few "Biggest Loser" exercise groups/contests at my church, and we've had two people in our group lose over 100 pounds in the 12 weeks we were doing it.