2»

Replies

• crossfire266
    Options
    You need to lose more weight
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Actually, crunches and situps are horrible exercises...they don't really work the core that well and they are hell on the back and neck...pretty much wreaks havoc on the entire spinal cord. I personally wouldn't recommend doing them at all unless you are required to for a PT test or something.

There are much better core exercises and much better (more efficient and less harmful) ways of isolating your abdominal muscles. Planks are outstanding core exercises and they can take on various forms to keep challenging you. Don't do situps or crunches...they are stupid exercises.

Yep. My Physical Therapist says I should never do them (I have a herniated disc in my low back, and 2 in my neck). She also says that you can actually build mass in the abs area by doing them which is *not* what most women want to do! Planks and push-ups are better for you.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Actually, crunches and situps are horrible exercises...they don't really work the core that well and they are hell on the back and neck...pretty much wreaks havoc on the entire spinal cord. I personally wouldn't recommend doing them at all unless you are required to for a PT test or something.

There are much better core exercises and much better (more efficient and less harmful) ways of isolating your abdominal muscles. Planks are outstanding core exercises and they can take on various forms to keep challenging you. Don't do situps or crunches...they are stupid exercises.

Exactly!
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options

Yeah, this.

:drinker: I do the 10 minute standing ab exercise that's on fitnessblender.com and feel it's more effective. Also lifting weights does wonderful things indirectly.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Lose the weight, keep exercising and you will find out you can do sit-ups.
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    I get where you're coming from, I know there are better things for my abs, but I just wanted to be able to say I can do sit ups... I can now... sort of. I can't have anyone hold my feet because of a prior ankle injury (last person who held my ankles is still afraid to touch me, she thought she broke me when my ankle popped, turned in and locked in a cramp... it was not pretty and hurt like all get out). Anyway, how I learned is I touch my toes to a wall with my feet a little wider apart and instead of having my hands behind my head I hold a weight (or a weight ball) in my hands over my head and do the sit up to touch the weight to the wall (the weight helps with the up/forward momentum) and as I've gotten stronger I've been able to move away from the wall and put the weight down, still don't quite have the hands right (have to be careful not to pull on the neck, that's the last injury I need). So at least now I can say I can do a push up and throw one in here and there just because I can.... I still stick with other ab exercises though
  • cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I can't do them because my belly and my boobs get in the way lol. I do crunches, planking, other stuff for now.
  • aliwhalen
    aliwhalen Posts: 150 Member
    Options

Came here to say this.
  • mysweetjenna
    mysweetjenna Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I've figured it out! If I take my feet a bit further out, I can indeed do a sit up! I guess my short torso and tall belly just need a little more room right now :wink:

I appreciate all of the responses. I will say though, those of you that commented on how horrible sit-ups are, I wonder if you read the original post. I of course know they aren't a good exercise. My issue was I simply wanted to be able to perform a physical act that many others can do. Lunges are horrible for my knees, but I CAN do them. I promise you, I do planks. A LOT.