Pork

Options
I normally eat chicken or turkey but I have been thinking about adding pork once in awhile for something different but I read that it has lots of fat.....should I reconsider?

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Provided that it will fit into your macronutrient goals, it is fine.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I eat pork tenderloins from Costco all the time, and I seem to be fine.
  • tskvaughn
    tskvaughn Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Extra lean tenderloin is very low in calories and fat and high in protein.
    I always have a couple in the freezer. I can put them in the crockpot frozen with 1/4 c of water and half a packet of dry onion soup mix and leave it cooking on low for 6 hours or so. You can also add veggies like baby carrots the last couple of hours.
  • crossfire266
    Options
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Pork chops are so lean.

It really depends on the cut.

My boyfriend lives off of the extra thick boneless pork chops.

I like to cook the roast and shred it.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Pork is not THAT high in fat, provided you get it fairly lean and a good cut. I buy butterflied loin chops all the time. It's definitely not as calorie dense as something like beef.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Pork tenderloin is very lean, and pork loin is pretty lean but you may have to trim off a bit of fat.

I throw one of these cuts in a crockpot with whatever seasoning sounds good that day and let it cook a long time. Then I can shred it and use for sandwiches, eat over rice, wrap in tortillas for enchiladas or burritos, even throw on top of tortilla chips to make nachos ( okay not a good idea if you are really watching fat, but it is yummy). You can mix it with BBQ sauce for bbqs or even BBQ pizza. There are so many things to do with cooked pork loin, and most are very lean! It is often less expensive than other meats too!
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    May I introduce you to my dear, sweet friend, Monsieur Porc?

chicken-bacon-avocado-quesadillas-1.jpg
  • naturesfempower
    naturesfempower Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Lean cuts of pork are fine (chops, tenderloin, trimmed roasts, lean ham). I eat pork several times a week. It is most tasty.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    All depends on the cut of pork. Loin has almost no fat, bacon essentially is fat. I eat both (although bacon is like 3 pieces only). If you like the taste, you should eat it.

For me, that is the whole point in counting calories rather than doing some other diet. This lets me eat whatever I want in moderation. I find diets that cut me off from foods I like are destined to fail because they aren't sustainable.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options

:sad:
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    If it fits your Macros, stays within your calorie goals and isn't against your religious beliefs go for it.
  • Charlie003
    Charlie003 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options

WIN!
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I eat pork fairly often, usually at least once a week. In case it helps...

This is my favorite pork chop recipe: http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2012/10/brown-sugar-glazed-pork-chops-recipe.html

This is my favorite pork tenderloin recipe: http://www.inspiredtaste.net/21117/perfect-roasted-pork-tenderloin-recipe-with-apples/
  • hallo_spacedog
    hallo_spacedog Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I mainly eat pork and fish as my primary animal proteins. I have nothing against beef and chicken, I just do what comes easy for me, and I have lost a lot of weight doing so, so don't worry about it.

Pork loins and such are pretty lean anyway, but I like the fattier bits. Bellies and ground pork and other stuff. Or at least a quality well fat marbled loin. A boston butt can be really good (it is actually a shoulder) and is good for low and slow roasting, etc.
  • jasonmh630
    Options
    Bacon wins.

[/thread]
  • Illini_Jim
    Illini_Jim Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    [VINCENT] You want some bacon?

[JULES] No, man, I don't eat pork.

[VINCENT] Are you Jewish?

[JULES] No, I ain't Jewish, I just don't dig on swine, that's all.

[VINCENT] Why not?

[JULES] Pigs are filthy animals. I don't eat filthy animals.

[VINCENT] But bacon tastes good, pork chops taste good...

[JULES] Hey, sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'd never know cause I wouldn't eat the filthy mother****ers. Pigs sleep and root in ****, that's a filthy animal. I don't eat nothin' that ain't got sense enough to disregard its own feces.

[VINCENT] How about a dog? A dog eats its own feces.

[JULES] I don't eat dog either.

[VINCENT] Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal?

[JULES] I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy, but it's definitely dirty. But, dogs got personality, personality goes a long way.

[VINCENT] So by that rationale, if a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal. Is that true?

[JULES] We'd have to be talkin' 'bout one charmin' mother****in' pig. I mean he'd have to be ten times more charmin' than that Arnold on Green Acres, you know what I'm sayin'?
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options

[VINCENT] Why not?

[JULES] Hey, sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'd never know cause I wouldn't eat the filthy mother****ers. Pigs sleep and root in ****, that's a filthy animal. I don't eat nothin' that ain't got sense enough to disregard its own feces.

[JULES] I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy, but it's definitely dirty. But, dogs got personality, personality goes a long way.

[VINCENT] So by that rationale, if a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal. Is that true?

[JULES] We'd have to be talkin' 'bout one charmin' mother****in' pig. I mean he'd have to be ten times more charmin' than that Arnold on Green Acres, you know what I'm sayin'?

I just... I just love you so much... :love:
  • jasonmh630
    Options

[VINCENT] Why not?

You, sir... are BRILLIANT.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I normally eat chicken or turkey but I have been thinking about adding pork once in awhile for something different but I read that it has lots of fat.....should I reconsider?

How much fat it has depends on the cut. Bacon and ribs are very fatty. Chops and steaks vary in the amount of fat. Loin and tenderloin are usually pretty lean. Pork tenderloin has about the same fat content as boneless skinless chicken breast.